Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #13

Who is the Sens #13 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023

1- Ridly Greig 70.2% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #1)
2- Tyler Kleven 78.7 % (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #2)
3- Zack Ostapchuk 41.7% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #3)
4- Mads Søgaard 47.9% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #4)
5- Leevi Meriläinen 32.3% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #5)
6- Jacob Bernard-Docker 37.9% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #6)
7- Roby Järventie 41.4% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #7)
8- Oskar Pettersson 37.9% (Prospect Info: - Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #8)
9- Tyler Boucher 45.8% (Prospect Info: - Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #9)
10- Lassi Thomson 31.3% (Prospect Info: - Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #10)
11- Egor Sokolov 34.0% (Prospect Info: - Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #11)
12- Angus Crookshank 33.3% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #12)
13-
14-
15-

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o).

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, shot quality, leadership qualities, size/strength, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA among these players?

Try to do some research on these kids, particularly the most recent ones. People are free to post links and videos about some of the prospects that should be voted soon, or even try to persuade others why a guy should be voted next! Spread info to help people vote.

Graduated players from 2022 (who are still in the organization) :

Jake Sanderson, Shane Pinto, Mark Kastelic and Parker Kelly

To be added :

Kevin Mandolese
Tomas Hamara
Hoyt Stanley
Matthew Andonovski
Owen Beckner
Vladimir Nikitin
Nicholas VanTassell
Nikolas Matinpalo
Oliver Johansson
Cole Reinhardt
Cameron O'Neill
Kevin Reidler
Tyson Dyck
Theo Wallberg

Also, leaving the link of pre-2017 polls if anyone wants to bookmark the page

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Interesting to see Halliday in the lead over Guenette, who really started to blossom in the A last year.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Dono for sure

I haven’t seen any of Halliday but seems like he might be overrated due to being viewed in the context of being a freshman, rather than a guy in his 3rd year of eligibility. Not taking anything away from him, but not entirely sure why else he’d be leading this poll

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Dono for sure

I haven’t seen any of Halliday but seems like he might be overrated due to being viewed in the context of being a freshman, rather than a guy in his 3rd year of eligibility. Not taking anything away from him, but not entirely sure why else he’d be leading this poll
Not super high on Halliday, the poor skating ability and him being a perimeter player that doesn’t use his size well will make it tough for him to transition to the pros. Great playmaker though.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'mma go with Nordberg, 6ft5 210 pound LD that clears anything in front of his own net and can puck handle well enough to pass our of his own zone.

Reactions: Snowwy

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Dono for sure

22nd in NCAA scoring is pretty impressive no matter what year of eligibility you're in.

That said, it doesn't seem like much of what he does will translate

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Let's be honest, our top-7 is pretty decent but it starts getting thin after that, the rest are pretty much "hopefuls"

This is how I see it (with separations in terms of prospect quality)

Ridly Greig
------------
Tyler Kleven
------------
Zack Ostapchuk
Roby Järventie
Mads Søgaard
------------
Jacob Bernard-Docker
Oskar Pettersson
------------
Lassi Thomson
Leevi Meriläinen
------------
Angus Crookshank
Egor Sokolov
Tyler Boucher
Stephan Halliday
Maxence Guenette
Jorian Donovan
------------
Filip Nordberg
Donovan Sebrango

etc

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
At this point I’m voting based on tools.

Donovan seems like a guaranteed cup of coffee guy at least given his skating and bloodlines.

I went Halliday because of upside but could definitely see arguments for Nordberg and Donovan.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At this point I’m voting based on tools.

Donovan seems like a guaranteed cup of coffee guy at least given his skating and bloodlines.

I went Halliday because of upside but could definitely see arguments for Nordberg and Donovan.

I am very ok with Guenette, Halliday or Donovan here..
I think by the end of this year Guenette could compete with JBD as a #6 on the right side.
I think Donovan is our best junior age prospect and has the talent to be above some of the older guys already selected. At least a couple who I think will be more destined to be AHL players than NHL players. Donovan could get blocked here.
I went with Halliday because of his combination of skill and size and the potential that can bring. He is more of a less developed prospect but he could be a top 6 player that generates offense. Very Good size .Very Good hands. Very Good vision. Needs to get stronger.

Reactions: aragorn and Bileur

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
We need to see some RD with true upside in these rankings within the next 2 years. It's crazy how barren our system is on the right side.

Reactions: Psycroptic86

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We need to see some RD with true upside in these rankings within the next 2 years. It's crazy how barren our system is on the right side.
List of RDs include - Zub, JBD, Hamonic, Thompson, Guennette, Matinpalo & Stanley. Chychrun & Brannstrom are also listed as being able to play RD & I believe both Sanderson & Kleven played some RD at UND.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
List of RDs include - Zub, JBD, Hamonic, Thompson, Guennette, Matinpalo & Stanley. Chychrun & Brannstrom are also listed as being able to play RD & I believe both Sanderson & Kleven played some RD at UND.
This is a prospects discussion so I was referring specifically to prospects. Also referring specifically to right shot D.

In that list:

Zub is a legit NHL with continued upside
JBD is an unknown but may be a useful 3rd pairing guy
Hamonic is on the downside of his career and will be a healthy scratch option
Thompson has a lot of work to do
Guennette has to not only maintain but improve his performance from last season to get a look
Mantipalo is an unknown as is Stanley

Having our LD move to RD isn't our best option but it will happen with JC this year I imagine.

All that said - we need some legit RD prospects in our pipeline.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is a prospects discussion so I was referring specifically to prospects. Also referring specifically to right shot D.

In that list:

Guennette has to not only maintain but improve his performance from last season to get a look

Having our LD move to RD isn't our best option but it will happen with JC this year I imagine.

JBD just plays a safer defensve game with no flash & they need to reduce their goals against
Hamonic had more pts than Brannstrom last yr, also plays a strong defensive game
Thompson is closer than people think & plays a more offensive oriented game than JBD
Guennette is a dark horse with size & skill who had 40 pts in Belleville last yr that led the D in pts.
Stanley is an unknown, but he has good size, good skater & has some offence to his game.
Agree on Mantipalo, another RD with good size.

All that said - this next draft is supposedly strong on D.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

It’s particularly crazy given than they’ve invested premium picks (2 1sts, 1 2nd) at that specific position in the last five years.

Reactions: OD99

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Im just curious. You sure talk like an expert so I’m guessing you’ve seen these guys play. Am I wrong?
When did he say anything about Nordberg? Why not ask what he likes about Donovan?

You’re taking a very weird line of questioning to an innocuous statement

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Im just curious. You sure talk like an expert so I’m guessing you’ve seen these guys play. Am I wrong?
You're not curious, you're not a fan of me as a poster, and are trying for a gotcha, same as the Cam O'Neil posts; more power to you. You've taken a handful of your sparse posts to point you don't like my postings.

If you're going to try an make me look dumb, have at it. But you should try another route, because this one, the same with Cam O'Neil where you asked if I watched him play which had nothing to do with what was being talked about, is an incredibly strange way of getting to that point, and is working extremely poorly.

Like Devilish said above, it was a completely innocuous statement, like the hundreds of posts everyone has made in the prospect ranking threads.

And yes, I have seen both play this year, which is an incredibly easy thing to do, and has almost nothing to do with the original post

Could have asked why I liked him more than Guenette, or Boucher, or Crookshank, or Thomson, etc. but they all play in NA, so there was no possible GOTCHA moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: bicboi64

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

In that list:

Agreed.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Agreed with most of the rest but disagree with "unknown" here. What is unknown is more if he can be more than 3rd pairing. I would personally play him with Jake Sanderson, best way to make him find COMFORT in the NHL, which is THE thing most young D-men struggle with for a while at first.

Hamonic had more pts than Brannstrom last yr, also plays a strong defensive game

The only reason a guy like Hamonic didn't get destroyed (statistically) out there is because he was paired with Jake Sanderson. Being paired with Erik Brannstrom would have made him look good as well.

Put 2 Hamonics together and the whole shift is in your zone and neutral zone, like a survival test. Forwards have about 45 seconds per shift, you want them to at least have a scoring chance or two. If your defensive pair spends TOO MUCH TIME defending, then your forwards get frustrated. That is why PUCK MOVERS are highly valued in TODAY's game.

What do you think the opposing team really wants? Face a defense that will block shots, battle in corners, in front of the net, flip the puck thought the boards/glass BUT leaves you with POSSESSION all that time, OR do you think they'd rather have quick mobile defense that will retrieve the puck quickly and move it swiftly with CONTROL for a quick counter attack?

That is also why expected goals will be more favorable to (good) puck movers than "old school" D-men. The game has changed, evolved, it's about speed and quickness now.

Look, the best current D-men in the league defensively are the likes of Jacob Slavin, Adam Pelech, Jared Spurgeon, Jonas Brodin...

Slavin and Pelech have size but only Pelech is really physical, he's a rare type because he does everything well in the defensive zone. But look at Spurgeon for example... 5'9... Do you realize how GOOD this guy is? Well, the thing is Brannstrom has been trending really well and who knows, maybe he hasn't finished developing. It took time for Spurgeon to become an ELITE 2-way D-man

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad