Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2021 #10 - Tie Breaker

Who is the Sens #10 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, array of shots, leadership qualities, size/strenght, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA among these players?

Try to do some research on these kids, particularly the most recent ones. People are free to post links and videos about some of the prospects that should be voted soon, or even try to persuade others why a guy should be voted next! Spread info to help people vote.

Players from the top-30 in 2020 who have graduated since (and still with the organization) :

Drake Batherson, Tim Stutzle, Josh Norris

Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2021

(1) Tim Stutzle (53 GP)
1- Jake Sanderson (95.0%)
(2) Josh Norris (59 GP)
2- Shane Pinto (71.2%)
3- Erik Brännström (46.1%)
4- Tyler Boucher (28.6%)
5- Alex Formenton (53.2%)
6- Ridly Greig (43.8%)
7- Filip Gustavsson (43.6%)
8- Jacob Bernard-Docker (74.1%)
9- Egor Sokolov (51.2%)
10-

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o)

NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future

However, this year there will be 2 exceptions to AVOID massive turmoil. Like SensBrawler said to me "It's a weird situation due to the shortened season. In most years, they would have easily graduated."

So Tim Stutzle (53 GP) and Josh Norris (59 GP) are going to be considered graduated. The panel of Sens prospect polls experts think that the majority of people would still consider Brannstrom as a prospect, even though he has more games than them (63 GP), so he's going to be among options.

Order of the next prospects to be added :

Benjamin Roger
Kevin Mandolese
Vitali Abramov
Oliver Johansson
Carson Latimer
Philippe Daoust
Viktor Lodin
Maxence Guénette
Jonathan Aspirot
Parker Kelly
Cole Reinhardt
Mark Kastelic
Chandler Romeo
Jakov Novak
Jonny Tychonick
Eric Engstrand
Luke Loheit

Also, leaving the link of pre-2017 polls if anyone wants to bookmark the page

2016 Senators Prospects Top 30 + Past Rankings

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
VERY surprised to see Søgaard over Meriläinen as far as goalies go.

One has played some pro games with some success while the other is still in junior may be a reason all be it an inconsistent one when it comes to some of the other voting patterns we've seen

Reactions: aragorn

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Care to explain why?

Huh? Sogaard was drafted with more pedigree and has proven more since being drafted. It's not really strange at all.

One has played some pro games with some success while the other is still in junior may be a reason all be it an inconsistent one when it comes to some of the other voting patterns we've seen

Just have heard a lot more positivity around one than the other. Søgaard had a disappointing D+1 numbers-wise . Lots of people were getting down on him after that. I know he had a good run with Belleville last season (numbers-wise), but I didn't know people were back up after that. Meriläinen had a stellar D+1 and an outstanding WJC summer showcase (again, numbers-wise). I personally don't bother even trying to rank goalies without extensive viewings because I suck at it, but based on the posts I've been reading I thought the sentiment around here was strongly Meriläinen>Søgaard. Lots of quiet Søgaard support kinda surprised me I guess.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just have heard a lot more positivity around one than the other. Søgaard had a disappointing D+1 numbers-wise . Lots of people were getting down on him after that. I know he had a good run with Belleville last season (numbers-wise), but I didn't know people were back up after that. Meriläinen had a stellar D+1 and an outstanding WJC summer showcase (again, numbers-wise). I personally don't bother even trying to rank goalies without extensive viewings because I suck at it, but based on the posts I've been reading I thought the sentiment around here was strongly Meriläinen>Søgaard. Lots of quiet Søgaard support kinda surprised me I guess.

Ok but probably haven't heard/rad enough on Sogaard. I know I have some praise about him. Maybe search my posts with Sogaard as a keyword (lol if you have a few minutes to burn of course)

I was personally always high on his skillset, athlecism and size trio. His AHL games (saw 4 of them IIRC) kinda confirmed the hype for me. It's probably still available somewhere

And it's true that Merilainen has been rising quickly but all he has done so far is still junior hockey so not comparable and it limits how high you can be on a prospect (that is not a blue chip prospect)

Last edited:

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Went soogard. Brown is too fine china for me to think he can sustain an nhl playoff grind and is getting old

Crookshank

Brandon
Apr 18, 2021
Is there a thread like this on the main boards that people vote on prospects league wide? It would be based on who has the most fans on here I know but just curious how other non sens fans rank our prospects.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Is there a thread like this on the main boards that people vote on prospects league wide? It would be based on who has the most fans on here I know but just curious how other non sens fans rank our prospects.
Don’t have a link but yes there is one. If you go on the poll section it should be somewhere on the first page.

Edit: Got the link HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #27

Reactions: Brandon Beyer

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Check the link Emerica provided for the actual polls but this has been going on for years as well

Ottawa being a small market with a dislikable owner, etc, I think Sens prospects could be underrated in general but maybe not as much as we'd think. I think hardcore hockey fans in general are aware that the Sens are pretty good at drafting

Look at the 2019 poll, Brannstrom was voted #11, Batherson was voted #21. Josh Norris wasn't even voted top-50 but we were also underrating him big time on this board so not surprising. We voted Logan Brown #3 but he didn't make that HF top-50 (but was among the poll options for #50)

HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects

Note that the OP running these polls has been changing eligibility criterias every year for some reason. For example, Batherson was eligible in 2019 but suddenly not for 2020 as the OP dropped the criteria to 41 GP and Batherson had 43 GP...

In 2019 : 22 and under, 50 NHL GP or less, no goalies
In 2020 : 22 and under, 41 NHL GP or less, no goalies
In 2021 : 22 and under, 30 NHL GP or less, no goalies

The 2020 poll is where Sens prospects got underrated more I think, even though we had 8 guys in the top-75 lol (+Batherson who should have been eligible)

HFBoards TOP 75 Prospects Ranking #75 (FINAL)

3. Tim Stützle
15. Jake Sanderson
36. Josh Norris
37. Erik Brännström
51. Alex Formenton
61. Shane Pinto
70. Jacob Bernard-Docker
75. Logan Brown

All these guys were part of our top-9 on HF Sens (including Batherson)

Reactions: Brandon Beyer

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It’s honestly shocking how some people still believe in Logan brown . He is a bust plain and simple

I'm not going to blame anybody who doesn't "believe" in him anymore but do you know how many games he has played since February 15th 2020 (a month before he turned 22 y/o)? 14 (13 in AHL 1 in NHL)

So basically, outside of these games, the only in-game information we have is when he was 21 y/o and younger... which was 29 NHL games and 81 AHL games (110 pro games)

I mean, people can draw the conclusions they want, but that's not a lot of pro experience to declare a player a bust, at least not in my books.

Maybe he's not going to "make it" in Ottawa but if not there's several other teams who will be happy to give him a chance. It would be a bit like Rudolfs Balcers last season, can't cut it in Ottawa, made it in San Jose

In comparison, Drake Batherson (that I never seen anyone consider a bust) finally established himself last season while turning 23 years old...

Reactions: TheDebater

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I'm not going to blame anybody who doesn't "believe" in him anymore but do you know how many games he has played since February 15th 2020 (a month before he turned 22 y/o)? 14 (13 in AHL 1 in NHL)

So basically, outside of these games, the only in-game information we have is when he was 21 y/o and younger... which was 29 NHL games and 81 AHL games (110 pro games)

I mean, people can draw the conclusions they want, but that's not a lot of pro experience to declare a player a bust, at least not in my books.

Maybe he's not going to "make it" in Ottawa but if not there's several other teams who will be happy to give him a chance. It would be a bit like Rudolfs Balcers last season, can't cut it in Ottawa, made it in San Jose

In comparison, Drake Batherson (that I never seen anyone consider a bust) finally established himself last season while turning 23 years old...

I guess the term "bust" applies to more than just a player who never lived up to his draft position. A bust can also be a player who cannot stay healthy and for some reason never gets enough chances to prove himself at the NHL level.

Logan Brown is no longer a young player so he is very close to bust territory if he cannot get into more than 60+ games this year in the both the NHL and AHL combined...and I am being pretty flexible setting the bar at 60 games.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I guess the term "bust" applies to more than just a player who never lived up to his draft position. A bust can also be a player who cannot stay healthy and for some reason never gets enough chances to prove himself at the NHL level.

Logan Brown is no longer a young player so he is very close to bust territory if he cannot get into more than 60+ games this year in the both the NHL and AHL combined...and I am being pretty flexible setting the bar at 60 games.

Logan still has time on his side, he won't be a bust until he doesn't get any other chance at cracking a NHL roster. I could obviously find hundreds of examples of guys who "made it older" but just a few examples

MacKenzie Weegar made the NHL at 24 y/o and didn't look like more than a depth D-man. 3 years later he's seen as pretty damn good

Dylan DeMelo depht D-man until his opportunity in Ottawa at 25 y/o

Mike Hoffman (I was wrong on him, thought he'd be a "cup of coffee" player) became a NHL regular at 25 y/o. He will most likely score his 200th NHL goal this season

Ryan Dzingel became a NHL rgular at 24 y/o, looked pretty good for a few seasons

Anthony Duclair has started playing in the NHL early (maybe too early vs his maturity) but it looks like he was always just a few steps away from being out of the NHL until recently at 24-25 y/o

Matt Carkner became a NHL player at 29 y/o, played 237 games in total.

Evgenii Dadonov didn't look like he'd amount to much after his first 55 NHL games. He came back to the NHL several years later (28 y/o) and was a top-6 forward right away

Nick Paul established himself at 24 y/o. Nikita Zaitsev and Artem Zub were 25 y/o when they came over.

Connor Brown was Logan's age when he established himself. Austin Watson played 6 NHL games at 21 y/o then didn't play again until he was 24 y/o. Future HOFer Micheal Haley played most of his games around ~30 y/o

Jarred Tinordi declared a bust by Montreal fans just signed a 1 way 2 years deal. He now has 102 GP, can he crack 300?

Shawn Thornton became a regular at 29-30 y/o and played 705 NHL games.

Artemi Panarin started in the NHL at 24 y/o and elite right away.

Craig Conroy established himself at 25 y/o and played 1009 NHL games.

Tim Thomas only played 4 NHL games before 31 y/o... look at his resume now. Brian Rafalski never drafted, NHL player at 26 y/o, great career. Martin St.Louis became a regular at 24-25 y/o. Joe Mullen rookie ar 24 y/o, Ed Giacomin 26 y/o. Peter Stastny, elite player right away at 24 y/o. Mark Streit came to the NHL at 28 y/o and still played 786 NHL games. Same for Niklas Bäckström, 28 y/o and played 413 NHL games as a goalie. Dominik Hašek in his late 20's is the best goalie of all-time.

I could go on all day. Logan Brown has been injury prone and there has been a global pandemic that has also reduced his opportunities to play. He turned 23 y/o last season but it's almost like he was still 21 y/o. He has time on his side, he has a lot of talent and will eventually figure it out (but yes most likely somewhere else) but the first thing is he needs to be able to stay healthy

Last edited:
Reactions: thinkwild

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Logan still has time on his side, he won't be a bust until he doesn't get any other chance at cracking a NHL roster. I could obviously find hundreds of examples of guys who "made it older" but just a few examples

MacKenzie Weegar made the NHL at 24 y/o and didn't look like more than a depth D-man. 3 years later he's seen as pretty damn good

Mike Hoffman (I was wrong on him, thought he'd be a "cup of coffee" player) became a NHL regular at 25 y/o. He will most likely score his 200th NHL goal this season

Ryan Dzingel became a NHL rgular at 24 y/o, looked pretty good for a few seasons

Anthony Duclair has started playing in the NHL early (maybe too early vs his maturity) but it looks like he was always just a few steps away from being out of the NHL until recently at 24-25 y/o

Evgenii Dadonov didn't look like he'd amount to much after his first 55 NHL games. He came back to the NHL several years later (28 y/o) and was a top-6 forward right away

Nick Paul established himself at 24 y/o. Nikita Zaitsev and Artem Zub were 25 y/o when they came over.

Connor Brown was Logan's age when he established himself. Austin Watson played 6 NHL games at 21 y/o then didn't play again until he was 24 y/o. Future HOFer Micheal Haley played most of his games around ~30 y/o

Jarred Tinordi declared a bust by Montreal fans just signed a 1 way 2 years deal. He now has 102 GP, can he crack 300?

Tim Thomas only played 4 NHL games before 31 y/o... look at his resume now. Brian Rafalski never drafted, NHL player at 26 y/o, great career. Martin St.Louis became a regular at 24-25 y/o. Joe Mullen rookie ar 24 y/o, Ed Giacomin 26 y/o. Peter Stastny, elite player right away at 24 y/o. Mark Streit came to the NHL at 28 y/o and still played 786 NHL games. Same for Niklas Bäckström, 28 y/o and played 413 NHL games as a goalie. Dominik Hašek in his late 20's is the best goalie of all-time.

I could go on all day. Logan Brown has been injury prone and there has been a global pandemic that has also reduced his opportunities to play. He turned 23 y/o last season but it's almost like he was still 21 y/o. He has time on his side, he has a lot of talent and will eventually figure it out (but yes most likely somewhere else) but the first thing is he needs to be able to stay healthy

You could go on all day but for your sake do not.

All---or most--- of those guys you mentioned would never be considered busts even if they never made it or had any success.

The term "Busts" is generally reserved for former 1st round picks that struggle to make the NHL or have any real impact once they do (depending on where in the first round they were drafted too). Some 2nd round picks might be considered busts but even that is kind of rare considering how difficult it is for most players to crack the NHL.

Logan Brown was an 11th overall pick, and without getting into the statistics on how often an 11th overall pick makes the NHL, it is safe to say that time is not on his side.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You could go on all day but for your sake do not.

All---or most--- of those guys you mentioned would never be considered busts even if they never made it or had any success.

The term "Busts" is generally reserved for former 1st round picks that struggle to make the NHL or have any real impact once they do (depending on where in the first round they were drafted too). Some 2nd round picks might be considered busts but even that is kind of rare considering how difficult it is for most players to crack the NHL.

Logan Brown was an 11th overall pick, and without getting into the statistics on how often an 11th overall pick makes the NHL, it is safe to say that time is not on his side.

oh oh ok, I personally don't attach much importance into draft position a few years after a draft. I haven't been thinking about "11th OA" when thinking about Logan Brown in a while. Batherson was a 4th rounder the following year and has been a better prospect than Brown for a while. I look at prospects purely from an ability standpoint and I try to project them as to what they could become in the NHL. I know most people retort to draft position and stats but I'm not "most people" and never been. Also a reason why I have had Lassi Thomson lower than many guys drafted later despite him being a very recent 1st round pick.

Those examples were more to show that it's "never too late" and even as a former 1st round pick, you're not an automatic bust if you aren't a NHL regular by age 23 or 24. But of course, chances that you'll be a perennial all-star are quite low

So it really depends on how you see things. My perception is mostly based on "jurisprudence". I look at what happened to have a better idea of what could happen. With Logan, it's still pretty much wide open but I feel/think that he won't stay with Ottawa for much longer.

It's also semantics. I often see the term "bust" for Alexandre Daigle for example but to me, this is simply a false statement. Scott Glennie is a bust, not a guy who played 616 NHL games and scored 327 pts. Of course, there's expectations that come with being drafted high, so I'd call it "disappointment" or "underwhelming career" instead. Bust is too much of a "black and white" term and doesn't leave much to subjectivity

Edit : regarding "time on his side", agree to disagree but read my post #16 again, it's pretty well explained as to why covid and injuries made it so that he doesn't have a lot of pro experience for a 23 y/o. So that is the reason why he has more "time on his side" than a 23 y/o normally would. But as I have said a million times before, he needs to figure out how to stay healthy first. You can't succeed in a physical action if your physique doesn't allow you to do it.

Last edited:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa

I liked this especially for mentioning Ed Giacomin, a blast from the past. I think Johnny Bower was a 29 yr old rookie too.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
oh oh ok, I personally don't attach much importance into draft position a few years after a draft. I haven't been thinking about "11th OA" when thinking about Logan Brown in a while. Batherson was a 4th rounder the following year and has been a better prospect than Brown for a while. I look at prospects purely from an ability standpoint and I try to project them as to what they could become in the NHL. I know most people retort to draft position and stats but I'm not "most people" and never been. Also a reason why I have had Lassi Thomson lower than many guys drafted later despite him being a very recent 1st round pick.

Those examples were more to show that it's "never too late" and even as a former 1st round pick, you're not an automatic bust if you aren't a NHL regular by age 23 or 24. But of course, chances that you'll be a perennial all-star are quite low

So it really depends on how you see things. My perception is mostly based on "jurisprudence". I look at what happened to have a better idea of what could happen. With Logan, it's still pretty much wide open but I feel/think that he won't stay with Ottawa for much longer.

It's also semantics. I often see the term "bust" for Alexandre Daigle for example but to me, this is simply a false statement. Scott Glennie is a bust, not a guy who played 616 NHL games and scored 327 pts. Of course, there's expectations that come with being drafted high, so I'd call it "disappointment" or "underwhelming career" instead. Bust is too much of a "black and white" term and doesn't leave much to subjectivity

Edit : regarding "time on his side", agree to disagree but read my post #16 again, it's pretty well explained as to why covid and injuries made it so that he doesn't have a lot of pro experience for a 23 y/o. So that is the reason why he has more "time on his side" than a 23 y/o normally would. But as I have said a million times before, he needs to figure out how to stay healthy first. You can't succeed in a physical action if your physique doesn't allow you to do it.

draft position defs matter to me if ur drafter top 10 and don’t become top6 f / top 4d ur a bust to me

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
(2) Josh Norris (59 GP)
2- Shane Pinto (71.2%)
4- Tyler Boucher (28.6
6- Ridly Greig (43.8%)

Those guys are all 3-4 line players. As one poster said. If fans will believe that the team can not draft, the team is finished. I stopped believing in a draft, when they passed on Kopitar. My TV remote just exploded off the wall. The idiocy was so glaring it gave me an instant headache and an anxiety. I do not expect draft miracles from this team, the only two miracles since that time we had are Stone and Eric. And traded those two miracles away. And most of our first rounders are not even in NHL. Putting those players ahead of Sokolov is again believing in miracles. It ain't going to happen. They are all the victims of budget drafting - meaning we are the welfare team with the welfare owner and mediocre budget draft picks. All those guys have no upside to be top six. If one of them will become a miracle he will be promptly traded away by Melnyk. I did not destroy my TV remote, when they did not draft Arthur Kaliyev and drafted another White(actually even less talented) in Pinto. And Lassi Thomson? Good god!! The kid will not make NHL anytime soon or ever. Passing on Tomasino, who is reaping off AHL as 19 years old.
Chicago WolvesAHL29131932
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
(2) Josh Norris (59 GP)
2- Shane Pinto (71.2%)
4- Tyler Boucher (28.6
6- Ridly Greig (43.8%)

Those guys are all 3-4 line players. As one poster said. If fans will believe that the team can not draft, the team is finished. I stopped believing in a draft, when they passed on Kopitar. My TV remote just exploded off the wall. The idiocy was so glaring it gave me an instant headache and an anxiety. I do not expect draft miracles from this team, the only two miracles since that time we had are Stone and Eric. And traded those two miracles away. And most of our first rounders are not even in NHL. Putting those players ahead of Sokolov is again believing in miracles. It ain't going to happen. They are all the victims of budget drafting - meaning we are the welfare team with the welfare owner and mediocre budget draft picks. All those guys have no upside to be top six. If one of them will become a miracle he will be promptly traded away by Melnyk. I did not destroy my TV remote, when they did not draft Arthur Kaliyev and drafted another White(actually even less talented) in Pinto. And Lassi Thomson? Good god!! The kid will not make NHL anytime soon or ever. Passing on Tomasino, who is reaping off AHL as 19 years old.
Chicago WolvesAHL29131932
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Another crazy post:

Here is a list of Senator players playing in the NHL that were drafted in the 1st rd by Ottawa., this does not include the 1st rd picks that were drafted by Ottawa & playing in the NHL for other teams like EK, Zibanejad & Foligno. And what is most interesting is that the players who are in the org now are all under 25 yrs old so most of the drafting for these guys has been done in the last 6 yrs. Each team only gets one 1st rd pick per yr & it's up to each team to acquire more if they can & Ottawa has 12 of them presently in their org.

White - 1st rd - 21st OA
Chabot - 1st rd - 18th OA
Tkachuk - 1st rd, 4th OA
Stutzle - 1st rd - 3rd OA

Players who could play in the NHL this coming season or have already played NHL games that were drafted by Ottawa in the 1st rd & those who were 1st rd picks by other teams that we identified & traded for.

JBD - 1st rd - 26th OA
L. Brown - 1st rd - 11th OA
L. Thomson - 1st rd - 19th OA

Traded for:

Norris - 1st rd - 19th OA
Brannstrom - 1st rd - 15th OA

And those we expect to be in the NHL soon.

Sanderson - 1st rd - 5th OA
Boucher - 1st rd - 10th OA
Greig - 1st rd - 28th OA

As a part of this rebuild Ottawa has four 1st rd drafted players playing in the NHL on their team, they traded for two more & have three in Belleville on the cusp of being NHL players. They also have three more playing in junior or NCAA that all have NHL potential & I expect should be in their lineup within the next 1 to 3 yrs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad