Tribute Sens Board All-Time Free-Agent Signings Ranking #6

Who is the Sens #6 Free-Agent Signing in modern history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
White’s career high in goals in his entire career = 25 goals.

Galchenyuk’s career high in goals (at 22 yrs old) = 30 goals.

Am I really in fantasyland? It’s close between him and White but let’s not pretend Galch can’t end up better in his stint with us.

It’s not that Galchenyuk isn’t capable of doing it, of course he’s capable. It’s about what is more likely. Fact is that since his last 50+ point season, four teams have dumped Galchenyuk because he just can’t put it together consistently. I thought he’d rip it up on the PP in Pittsburgh, he just didn’t work there at all. At this point a ~20-20-40 season is far more likely.

White’s 25 goal, 60 point season as our 2C is locked into the books.

It's true that Galchenyuk has the potential to be a significant UFA signing for the Sens

He has pedigree and talent (3rd OA pick, 0.61 PPG with Montreal in 418 GP, which is 50 pts per 82 games)

If he has matured and is determined to play a more complete game, listen to the coaches and play within the system, and if he goes back to his previous level of production, then it wouldn't be surprising to see the Sens re-sign him for a few years (would have been Duclair if he didn't contract-suicide himself)

I wouldn't bet a house on it but that poster has "faith" in Galchenyuk. Not that outlandish

I was pretty vocal at the beginning being against that signing but ready to give AG a chance to prove he is a "new player" and not stucked in the same recurrent patterns

I don’t disagree with any of this, even with the idea that a poster could have faith in Galchenyuk having a resurgence. I don’t like that it blocks our young guys but it’s a good low risk high reward move. I’d also add that even if he has a good season, it’s just as likely that he gets moved along at the deadline as it is that he gets extended.

That said, it makes no sense to me to take a potential season which is dependent on a player performing better than his career best when he hasn’t been able to get back to that level in several years over a very solid contribution from White in 02-03. Aside from leading the team in scoring among centres, White was our best faceoff man among the regular players and brought much better two way game that Galchenyuk ever has. It would take a huge season from Galchenyuk to bring more value than White did in 02-03.

I think White is under appreciated, much like Tierney he was good at a lot of things but didn’t really have that flashy stand out ability which people like to see.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I'm not taking any bets here, I have "no dog in this fight" but I'm explaining why it might not be that far fetched

Colin White had 2 good seasons with the Sens, 144 pts in 230 GP in total, which is 0.63 PPG (average of 51.66 pts per 82 games), so very similar to AG's level in Montreal.

Let's say for the purpose of this discussion, that AG shows he has matured as a player and is back to his previous level of production, then Ottawa re-sign him 4 years. He could potentially do what White did (and better?) for a longer period of time. That's what the poster is basically saying he could see happening.

We're nt comparing with what Alfredsson or Hossa did here, but Colin White. While he was a "good soldier" for the Sens it was a short term thing.

Chris Tierney (who we are not all a big fan of) has 85 pts in 152 GP, which is 0.56 PPG (average of 45.86 pts per 82 games) so just a few points below what White provided.

You’re talking about hypothetical good production provided during a hypothetical four year extension signed after a hypothetical good 2020-2021 season and saying that’s good production over a longer term than what White provided. It’s not impossible, but how is this not - literally - fantasyland?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don’t disagree with any of this, even with the idea that a poster could have faith in Galchenyuk having a resurgence. I don’t like that it blocks our young guys but it’s a good low risk high reward move. I’d also add that even if he has a good season, it’s just as likely that he gets moved along at the deadline as it is that he gets extended.

It makes no sense to take a potential season which is dependent on a player performing better than his career best when he hasn’t been able to get back to that level in several years over a very solid contribution from White in 02-03. Aside from leading the team in scoring among centres, White was our best faceoff man among the regular players and brought much better two way game that Galchenyuk ever has. It would take a huge season from Galchenyuk to bring more value than White did in 02-03.

I think White is under appreciated, much like Tierney he was good at a lot of things but didn’t really have that flashy stand out ability which people like to see.

You should see my reactions in the Galchenyuk thread. I was not really cool with it. I know how it was in Montreal, the constant debate about how he should be a Center even though he never proved he was able to play that position (basically the same situation as the guy he was eventually traded for, Max Domi). I watched him play over the years probably more than the vast majority of non-Habs fans (living in Montreal), he was "infuriating" even though he produced at times. Think about Hoffman but even worse and not as fast and not as good offensively. AG has a great shot, Hoffman has an Elite shot.

I'm not banking on him suceeding, how many times he was "lost" defensively, or just not focused, out of position, floating, etc. Not really a player coaches like despite the talent. But is a weapon on the PP for sure. Overall, a good 1-way player but not great like these need to be (Hoffman)

That being said, I hope he will come to Ottawa as a "transformed player" and ends up contributing to the Sens for a few years, because that would be very satisfying as he was Montreal's 3rd OA pick in 2012

Also, you say "he hasn’t been able to get back to that level in several years", well he is 1 year removed from scoring 41 pts in 72 games with the Coyotes (47 pts pace)... and 2 years from 51 pts.

Finally, I am not diminishing what White did or anything, I'm just saying that it's very possible that AG ends up being a better UFA Sens signing when all is said and done. I voted White by the way.

You’re talking about hypothetical good production provided during a hypothetical four year extension signed after a hypothetical good 2020-2021 season and saying that’s good production over a longer term than what White provided. It’s not impossible, but how is this not - literally - fantasyland?

Don't really want to spend more minutes explaining everything. I think I have been very clear in post #22. I know it's hindsight vs projecting. I am just explaining Sensitis position, that's pretty much it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Randy C for me gritty veteran that produced some big goals for us and a great leader

sirom

May 17, 2010
I'm not taking any bets here, I have "no dog in this fight" but I'm explaining why it might not be that far fetched

Colin White had 2 good seasons with the Sens, 144 pts in 230 GP in total, which is 0.63 PPG (average of 51.66 pts per 82 games), so very similar to AG's level in Montreal.

Let's say for the purpose of this discussion, that AG shows he has matured as a player and is back to his previous level of production, then Ottawa re-sign him 4 years. He could potentially do what White did (and better?) for a longer period of time. That's what the poster is basically saying he could see happening.

We're nt comparing with what Alfredsson or Hossa did here, but Colin White. While he was a "good soldier" for the Sens it was a short term thing.

Chris Tierney (who we are not all a big fan of) has 85 pts in 152 GP, which is 0.56 PPG (average of 45.86 pts per 82 games) so just a few points below what White provided.
You mean Todd White not Colin?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad