Tribute Sens Board All-Time Free-Agent Signings Ranking #6

Who is the Sens #6 Free-Agent Signing in modern history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
All-time Sens UFA signings

#1- Dominik Hasek
#2- Sergei Gonchar
#3- Clarke MacArthur
#4- Evgenii Dadonov
#5- Alexei Kovalev
#6-

On which factors thee polls should be voted on?

Some ideas for criterias :

- How the player produced with the team
- What the player brought to the team
- What the player should have brought to the team
- Name recognition, marketability

Tell me who to add (and tell me who's missing)

Tom Pyatt
Magnus Pääjärvi
Ron Hainsey
Nate Thompson
Dean McAmmond
Matt Carkner
Jesse Winchester
Stéphane Da Costa
Bobby Butler
Martin Gerber
Jason Smith
André Benoit
Scott Sabourin
Pat Cannone

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
How sad is this UFA list. I hadn't realized how far we've come without adding much if any relevant talent from outside the org.

I vote none of them.

Reactions: DrEasy

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
I'd be voting for Shaun Van Allen if he was up there, probably the one who had the most positive impact of the bunch. At least I have somewhat of a memory of him playing here.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
How sad is this UFA list. I hadn't realized how far we've come without adding much if any relevant talent from outside the org.

I vote none of them.
Yes, definitely from its inception this franchise has tried to compete with one hand tied behind its back. Hard to win if you can't get good free agents to play here.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'd be voting for Shaun Van Allen if he was up there, probably the one who had the most positive impact of the bunch. At least I have somewhat of a memory of him playing here.

Shaun Van Allen was acquired through trade

Anaheim Ducks acquireDateOttawa Senators acquire
Anaheim_Ducks.gif
Ted Drury
rights to Marc Moro
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
October 1, 1996
Shaun Van Allen
Jason York
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Anaheim_Ducks.gif
Ted Drury
rights to Marc Moro
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
October 1, 1996
Shaun Van Allen
Jason York
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Yeah. That was a great trade for us. A complete steal actually.

I think Van Allen signed as a FA with us in his second stint here. But he was nowhere near as effective.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007

Anaheim_Ducks.gif
Ted Drury
rights to Marc Moro
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
October 1, 1996
Shaun Van Allen
Jason York
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

My bad. Could have sworn he came in as a UFA. Getting old I guess....

Reactions: Xspyrit

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Tempted to go with Corvo here on the strength (alone) of that OT winner against the Sabres in the conference finals in 07.

Darth Gerber should be added strictly due to the hype when he signed. He was one of the bigger UFA signings in team history up until that point. I know his tenure left something to be desired, but when there's guys like Oduya and Auld up there it's probably his time.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Jarko Ruutu was a pain in the ass to play against, was always entertaining & played a few yrs here.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Could make a case for Smolinski here. Technically he re-signed here as a ufa i think and it felt like the first time we signed a semi big name ufa, even though he was more staying here as a ufa rather than coming here as one if that distinction makes a difference. He was legit seen as a 2nd line center, more than Tierney. The smirk though, ugh.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I’m going with Galchenyuk just based on potential. He can end up better than everybody on that list was for the Sens.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Why would you take Galchenyuk based on a good potential season when you could vote White who actually had a 25 goal 60 point season for us?

Because I think that Galchenyuk could end up better than that?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
ah so we’re in fantasyland.

White’s career high in goals in his entire career = 25 goals.

Galchenyuk’s career high in goals (at 22 yrs old) = 30 goals.

Am I really in fantasyland? It’s close between him and White but let’s not pretend Galch can’t end up better in his stint with us.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
ah so we’re in fantasyland.

It's true that Galchenyuk has the potential to be a significant UFA signing for the Sens

He has pedigree and talent (3rd OA pick, 0.61 PPG with Montreal in 418 GP, which is 50 pts per 82 games)

If he has matured and is determined to play a more complete game, listen to the coaches and play within the system, and if he goes back to his previous level of production, then it wouldn't be surprising to see the Sens re-sign him for a few years (would have been Duclair if he didn't contract-suicide himself)

I wouldn't bet a house on it but that poster has "faith" in Galchenyuk. Not that outlandish

I was pretty vocal at the beginning being against that signing but ready to give AG a chance to prove he is a "new player" and not stucked in the same recurrent patterns

Tough call between Tugger and White. I went Tugger just because of the one game.

Really didn't remember that as I was a brand new Sens fan but Tugnutt was 5th in Vezina voting in 1998-99

Had crazy good numbers with 1.79 GAA and 0.925 SV%... 4 goalies did better than that? lol

Actually it was the Hasek domination years so he won it but interesting to see that Cujo ended 2nd with a 0.910 SV%

Dafoe and Brodeur (0.906 SV%!) also got voted ahead

1998-99 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
White’s career high in goals in his entire career = 25 goals.

Galchenyuk’s career high in goals (at 22 yrs old) = 30 goals.

Am I really in fantasyland? It’s close between him and White but let’s not pretend Galch can’t end up better in his stint with us.
White had a 73 point season (Atlanta) and a 60 and 50 with Ottawa. Even if Galchenyuk has good season with Ottawa, he's very unlikely to reach those heights. The Kanata Valley Lasers legend deserves your respect.

Reactions: Bileur

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
White had a 73 point season (Atlanta) and a 60 and 50 with Ottawa. Even if Galchenyuk has good season with Ottawa, he's very unlikely to reach those heights. The Kanata Valley Lasers legend deserves your respect.

Irrelevant to the subject here though. I mean, White's career is over. We are looking at hindsight vs projection. Sensinitis is "projecting" AG to get back to his Montreal levels of production. We already know what White has done with Ottawa

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Irrelevant to the subject here though. I mean, White's career is over. We are looking at hindsight vs projection. Sensinitis is "projecting" AG to get back to his Montreal levels of production. We already know what White has done with Ottawa
So if Galchenyuk gets back to his Montreal production he just gets back to Todd White level production in Ottawa. If money was on the line here, I'll go ahead and take the sure thing over the guys that's fizzling out in the league.

Reactions: Bileur

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Nevermind what he did with Atlanta, like you said he did 50 and 60 with Ottawa. I think Galch can reach similar heights with us. Duclair had 23 goals in 66 games as the trigger guy on the PP. I can see Galch putting up similar numbers in that role.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So if Galchenyuk gets back to his Montreal production he just gets back to Todd White level production in Ottawa. If money was on the line here, I'll go ahead and take the sure thing over the guys that's fizzling out in the league.

I'm not taking any bets here, I have "no dog in this fight" but I'm explaining why it might not be that far fetched

Todd White had 2 good seasons with the Sens, 144 pts in 230 GP in total, which is 0.63 PPG (average of 51.66 pts per 82 games), so very similar to AG's level in Montreal.

Let's say for the purpose of this discussion, that AG shows he has matured as a player and is back to his previous level of production, then Ottawa re-sign him 4 years. He could potentially do what White did (and better?) for a longer period of time. That's what the poster is basically saying he could see happening.

We're not comparing with what Alfredsson or Hossa did here, but Todd White. While he was a "good soldier" for the Sens it was a short term thing.

Chris Tierney (who we are not all a big fan of) has 85 pts in 152 GP, which is 0.56 PPG (average of 45.86 pts per 82 games) so just a few points below what White provided.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad