Tribute Sens Board All-Time Free-Agent Signings Ranking #3

Who is the Sens #3 Free-Agent Signing in modern history?

• Randy Cunneyworth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joe Corvo

• Jarkko Ruutu

• Tyler Ennis

• Johnny Oduya

• David Legwand

• Alex Galchenyuk

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
All-time Sens UFA signings

#1- Dominik Hasek
#2- Sergei Gonchar
#3-
#4-
#5-

So which factors this ranking should be voted on?

Some ideas for criterias :

- How the player produced with the team
- What the player brought to the team
- What the player should have brought to the team
- Name recognition, marketability

Tell me who to add (and tell me who's missing)

Tom Pyatt
Magnus Pääjärvi
Ron Hainsey
Nate Thompson
Dean McAmmond
Matt Carkner
Jesse Winchester
Stéphane Da Costa
Andrew Hammond
Bobby Butler
Martin Gerber
Alex Auld
Jason Smith
André Benoit
Scott Sabourin
Pat Cannone

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I know he's there just as a choice, but seeing David Legwand in the sentence of "who are the all-time free agent signings" makes me sad lol.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I cannot decide between Dadonov and Kovalev.

MacArthur for me might be lower on the list than most, simply because I did not see him as "big name" when he was signed, and coming over after playing for the Leafs always taints the player a bit (early on, loved him after).

Kovalev was obviously a big name, I remember the excitment over finally signing a popular highly skilled player (albeit at the end of his career) but it was still exciting at the time.

Dadonov however is/was also a huge surprise all things considered, but he has really only had 3 good years in the NHL and is the definition of a late bloomer.

Tough one for sure.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I cannot decide between Dadonov and Kovalev.

MacArthur for me might be lower on the list than most, simply because I did not see him as "big name" when he was signed, and coming over after playing for the Leafs always taints the player a bit (early on, loved him after).

Kovalev was obviously a big name, I remember the excitment over finally signing a popular highly skilled player (albeit at the end of his career) but it was still exciting at the time.

Dadonov however is/was also a huge surprise all things considered, but he has really only had 3 good years in the NHL and is the definition of a late bloomer.

Tough one for sure.

Its not a tough one at all its Clarke MacArthur

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Ron Tugnutt will probably get overlooked here, but he was absolutely vital to the Senators becoming relevant for the first time in their modern history.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Its not a tough one at all its Clarke MacArthur

Todd White was a great signing too. Mac better though

upload_2020-10-31_0-18-36.png

Reactions: NB613

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
For MacArthur, I'd say the circumstances of his arrival play a big role in his impact. I remember that Free Agent Frenzy, and I remember a lot of Clarke MacArthur jokes being thrown around that day given the... other unfortunate events of the day.

MacArthur came in with very little fanfare at a very dark moment for this franchise. That he's looked back on so fondly speaks to his impact. Sens fans really, really needed a bright spot and MacArthur ended up being exactly that.

And we'll always have Boston.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Bless you for including Pat Cannone.

lol actually I had him as the first poll option in the 1st poll but I removed him in the 2nd poll as I didn't want people to close the thread right away. Some posters are not ancient enough

:naughty:

I know he's there just as a choice, but seeing David Legwand in the sentence of "who are the all-time free agent signings" makes me sad lol.

Why? It's just based on the "internet noise"... David Legwand had a really great career and was highly respected so just on name recognition it was a good signing. Sure, he came to Ottawa at 34 y/o and it seems like he didn't have much left in the tank but at the same time, it was just a 3.0 AAV... He still produced 27 pts in 80 GP in the 1st year, which are decent 3rd line numbers (and that's what veteran 3rd liners get paid). I'm sure he was a good mentor with tons of experience too. He was then traded with Lehner to get the Sabres 1st so in the end, no big deal at all.

I think expectations brought disappointment as well because he had 51 pts in Nashville/Detroit in the season prior the signing in Ottawa but fortunately, we didn't give him more money because of it. He won't finish top-10 or even top-15 in that list so no reason to be "sad"

I don't think it's because Dadonov was a "late bloomer". The guy left for his mother country when he was 22, he was just starting playing pro hockey and already had 55 NHL games under his belt. I don't remember about this and didn't make any research but he might have been "homesick" or just realized he was going to make more money at home, playing in the KHL.

It would be like Abramov going back to Russia until he is 28 y/o. Actually, I like a Dadonov comparison for Abramov as his boom potential.

Last edited:

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I went with White. Had Mac stayed healthier it would have been him.

Mac-Turris-Ryan was so good for the first 3 months in 13-14 before Bobby's hernia thing.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad