Tribute Sens Board All-Time Free-Agent Signings Ranking #1

Who is the Sens #1 Free-Agent Signing in modern history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
People forget how bad Sarge was for us at times. He got booed on opening day once IIRC.

It was game one of the season, he misjudged a play and got caught flat footed. It's well known that veterans are not always at their best in pre-season and the first few games. How many times have we seen goalies having horrible numbers during the first 2 weeks of the season?

That was truly the most embarassing moment to be a Sens fan for me... I was initially a Nordiques fan but they left. As I live in the Montreal area, I could have just become a Habs fan like most did and rely on 24 Cups from the past. But one thing I truly disliked about the Habs fanbase was the way they treated their players (ex : Patrick Roy, Patrice Brisebois). I needed something else. I then caught some Sens games and fell "in love" with Daniel Alfredsson. And I became a Sens fan in the late 90's

I didn't expect Sens fans to be perfect but I thought they were more respectful, until that Gonchar moment, then I realized it's pretty much more of the same with the only difference being that the Sens fanbase is a micro portion of the Habs fanbase, that's why you don't hear the noise as much. The "honeymoon" was over. I had been on HF for just 3-4 years at that time so it was still something new as I am not somebody who spent a lot of time on screens when I was younger, even TV. I was trying to defend Gonchar on HF and got absolutely destroyed, so I eventually became more defensive. But it's good to see that today society is finally catching upin being more respectful. But there is still a long road ahead. This huge wave of popular people closing their social accounts will help a lot. It's not because you're rich or popular tha tyou don't have human emotions. Personally, when somebody is picking of someone "successful", I think it just shows that they are dead jealous inside.

Yep. He was usually quite good for us after that first season. But I wouldn't say he was a top tier star at that point in his career. He's not going to the Hall based on his play for the sens.

Players were becoming UFAs a bit older "back then" and I'm not sure we'll ever see a "top tier star" UFA sign in Ottawa. At best, it will be players that were not long ago, like Gonchar or Kovalev.

Reactions: Beville

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It was game one of the season, he misjudged a play and got caught flat footed. It's well known that veterans are not always at their best in pre-season and the first few games. How many times have we seen goalies having horrible numbers during the first 2 weeks of the season?

That was truly the most embarassing moment to be a Sens fan for me... I was initially a Nordiques fan but they left. As I live in the Montreal area, I could have just become a Habs fan like most did and rely on 24 Cups from the past. But one thing I truly disliked about the Habs fanbase was the way they treated their players (ex : Patrick Roy, Patrice Brisebois). I needed something else. I then caught some Sens games and fell "in love" with Daniel Alfredsson. And I became a Sens fan in the late 90's

I didn't expect Sens fans to be perfect but I thought they were more respectful, until that Gonchar moment, then I realized it's pretty much more of the same with the only difference being that the Sens fanbase is a micro portion of the Habs fanbase, that's why you don't hear the noise as much. The "honeymoon" was over. I had been on HF for just 3-4 years at that time so it was still something new as I am not somebody who spent a lot of time on screens when I was younger, even TV. I was trying to defend Gonchar on HF and got absolutely destroyed, so I eventually became more defensive. But it's good to see that today society is finally catching upin being more respectful. But there is still a long road ahead. This huge wave of popular people closing their social accounts will help a lot. It's not because you're rich or popular tha tyou don't have human emotions. Personally, when somebody is picking of someone "successful", I think it just shows that they are dead jealous inside.

Players were becoming UFAs a bit older "back then" and I'm not sure we'll ever see a "top tier star" UFA sign in Ottawa. At best, it will be players that were not long ago, like Gonchar or Kovalev.

I thought Gooch got booed during the home opener roster introductions in his 2nd season with us. It wasn't just pre-season, it was the entire previous season that people weren't happy about. I was at the game when it happened, but I'm struggling to remember the exact details.

Regardless, I agree it was super disrespectful. It looks even worse after he turned it around a bit and played pretty well after that.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010
Yeah if I recall correctly both Gonchar and Filip Kuba got booed at the home opener that year. Not the fan base's proudest moment and I was pretty disappointed at the time.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I thought Gooch got booed during the home opener roster introductions in his 2nd season with us. It wasn't just pre-season, it was the entire previous season that people weren't happy about. I was at the game when it happened, but I'm struggling to remember the exact details.

Regardless, I agree it was super disrespectful. It looks even worse after he turned it around a bit and played pretty well after that.

I verified and you're right, my memory is failing me damn. It was his 2nd season

But yeah regardless it looks pretty bad, it's just entertainment and unless the player is deliberatly giving the puck to the other team and not by mistake it really shouldn't happen. Booing the other team's superstar is completely different though, it's actually a sign of respect and "fear"

25 years laters I still can't believe what the Habs fans did to Patrick Roy. They almost did the same thing to Carey Price a few years ago. Difference is that Patrick Roy is the definition of a winner and way too proud to let it pass.

Reactions: aragorn

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Abductor is one of those great malapropisms though.

At least we didnt go all Larry Murphy on Gonchar and run him out of town. But what i remember most was the complaints about signing this mid 30's guy to a 3 year contract. The complaint was that obviously the 3rd yr would be a write off as how could anyone that old be useful. Yet his 3rd yr with us was his best and he got another contract after that. This assumption of uselessness can lead us to bad hockey decisions if not careful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad