Tribute Sens Board All-Time Free-Agent Signings Ranking #1

Who is the Sens #1 Free-Agent Signing in modern history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
New idea for a poll, don't think we ever did that.

I'm not sure exactly how people want to vote but some ideas for criterias :

- How the player produced with the team
- What the player brought to the team
- What the player should have brought to the team
- Name recognition, marketability

What else?

Tell me who to add (and tell me who's missing)

Tom Pyatt
Magnus Pääjärvi
Ron Hainsey
David Legwand
Nate Thompson
Dean McAmmond
Matt Carkner
Jesse Winchester
Stéphane Da Costa
Andrew Hammond
Bobby Butler
Martin Gerber
Alex Auld
Jason Smith
André Benoit

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Went with Hasek because it was an exciting signing. Team was stacked on forwards and D back then but always had goalie troubles and then they signed the legend himself. It's unfortunate how it worked out in the end but I'll never forget the hype I had when that news broke.

MacArthur, Gonchar, and White were pretty good signings though. White was a fringe guy who became a solid 2-way C while the other two were in decline but still had good seasons here. Gonchar brought his A game to the playoffs when he was here as well.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1. McArthur - settle people down after losing Alfredsson
2. Gonchar - was a stabelizing influence on the backend with whoever he played with
3. Hasek - was here only a short time, but if he didn't get hurt in the Olympics, Ottawa could have won a SC.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Hasek obviously best player on the list; but very small impact. Gonchar helped shape our ex-franchise player plus he shored up the D nicely for 2+ seasons.
Gonchar > Clarke > Hasek

Reactions: jhutter

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Hasek obviously,
White was sneaky solid and MacArthur ended up making the most difference out of the rest of the guys imo. Gonchar was nice to have with EK, but he wasn't great here either.

The guy everyone is overlooking here is Eric O'Dell though. #pressconference.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It's gotta be a toss-up between Legwand and Oduya, no?

edit: therefore please add Oduya, the obvious Methot replacement.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Man, I don't think the Senators ever played a more exciting and frankly mind-destroying brand of hockey as when they had Hasek between the pipes for that 2005-2006 season. The 2002-2003 team was perhaps more of a lethal machine, but the 2005-2006 team had a swagger to it that no other team has come close to ever since.

It (sadly) didn't last, and one wonders a bit if that firewagon team could have gone all the way through four rounds. This was the team that exorcised some Leafs demons in the first NHL shootout ever and then humiliating them 8-0, 8-2 and 7-0 along with a head-to-head 7-1 record (losing the last meeting of the season).

Notwithstanding the end result, it was like the Harlem Globetrotters out there some nights. Especially early on when Havlat was getting shorthanded breakaways seemingly multiple times a game. McGrattan pummeled Domi into submission.

His SV% was 2nd best in the league, he had 5 shutouts, and his GAA was just over 2. And while he didn't see that many shots (27.9 per game and Emery was at 28.9), it also means that any goal really skews your stats that much more.

So I have to go with Hasek - his impact (obviously coupled with the excessive PPs associated with the lockout) on the style of the team was massive.

He allowed them to play an insanely entertaining brand of hockey, and while his numbers were outstanding, he also seemed to pull out clutch saves and just dominate close games.

And while it really sucked what happened with the Olympics, I'm still glad he went. He was arguably the world's best goalie at the time. Why the hell wouldn't he go to represent his country?

Last edited:
Reactions: Senscore

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Hasek was the best player ever to sign here and we would have won the Cup had he not hurt himself at the stupid Olympics.

We should have brought him back for another year or 2 too.

Reactions: Senscore

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Man, I don't think the Senators ever played a more exciting and frankly mind-destroying brand of hockey as when they had Hasek between the pipes for that 2005-2006 season. The 2002-2003 team was perhaps more of a lethal machine, but the 2005-2006 team had a swagger to it that no other team has come close to ever since.

It (sadly) didn't last, and one wonders a bit if that firewagon team could have gone all the way through four rounds. This was the team that exorcised some Leafs demons in the first NHL shootout ever and then humiliating them 8-0, 8-2 and 7-0 along with a head-to-head 7-1 record (losing the last meeting of the season).

Notwithstanding the end result, it was like the Harlem Globetrotters out there some nights. Especially early on when Havlat was getting shorthanded breakaways seemingly multiple times a game. McGrattan pummeled Domi into submission.

His SV% was 2nd best in the league, he had 5 shutouts, and his GAA was just over 2. And while he didn't see that many shots (27.9 per game and Emery was at 28.9), it also means that any goal really skews your stats that much more.

So I have to go with Hasek - his impact (obviously coupled with the excessive PPs associated with the lockout) on the style of the team was massive.

He allowed them to play an insanely entertaining brand of hockey, and while his numbers were outstanding, he also seemed to pull out clutch saves and just dominate close games.

And while it really sucked what happened with the Olympics, I'm still glad he went. He was arguably the world's best goalie at the time. Why the hell wouldn't he go to represent his country?

Man this post has me nostalgic af. That team was so much fun to watch. Spezza could've hit 100 points if he wasn't injured, Hasek could've had another Vezina if he played 60ish games, and Redden could've given Lidstrom a challenge for the Norris. That team was so beyond loaded it was ridiculous.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Went with Todd White - out of nowhere this guy plays top line minutes for years and Centers Alfies line, puts up a 50 and 60 point season - unreal

If Dorion signed An unknown Todd White right now And he put up 20 goals and 50 points and then 25 goals and 60 points he’d be considered a genius (which he is)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Hasek; top 3 goaltender of all time, limited impact.

Gonchar; stability on the backend, good impact, big name.

Gonchar made Weircoche look like he was a solid NHL player - that must of been so hard and he made it look easy

Reactions: Beville

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
People forget how bad Sarge was for us at times. He got booed on opening day once IIRC.

Reactions: robsenz

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
That was uncalled for then he turned around and stepped it up for us. Probably going into HOF tbh.
Yep. He was usually quite good for us after that first season. But I wouldn't say he was a top tier star at that point in his career. He's not going to the Hall based on his play for the sens.

Reactions: BK201

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad