Confirmed with Link: Sens acquire Callahan + pick for Condon + pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

toivy

Nov 15, 2008
Ottawa
Sounds like Callahan will be another LTIR "player" for us...there's another ~$5.8M (minus whatever isn't insurance covered) in actual $$ savings, plus Condon's actual $$ expense (I believe it had been reported at $1.4M if buried).

The positive: helps free up goaltending options in Ottawa/Belleville

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
lol how much of actual salary is this owner actually paying out of his pockets?

toivy

Nov 15, 2008
Ottawa
lol how much of actual salary is this owner actually paying out of his pockets?
Last I calculated (albeit manually - remembering to factor in signing bonuses paid by other teams), it was in the ~$47M range; add the ~$4.25M in insured LTIR + 1.4 from Condon not having to be buried, it'd be down to ~$41.5M

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Stop me if you've heard this one before, but this is yet another cash saving deal. Callahan makes 4.7M this season and is presumably insured at 80% for a cash impact of .94M. Condon was set to make 3M.

2M saved.

Dorion has a legit shot to get the payroll under 40M this year.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Stop me if you've heard this one before, but this is yet another cash saving deal. Callahan makes 4.7M this season and is presumably insured at 80% for a cash impact of .94M. Condon was set to make 3M.

2M saved.

Dorion has a legit shot to get the payroll under 40M this year.

His penny pinching skills as a GM are unmatched.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

"Our cap flexibility allowed us to proceed with this trade, which will also benefit us as we continue making adjustments to create a hardworking, exciting team." - PD

LMFAO. If you take away our LTIR contracts we are sitting 10 Mil UNDER the floor.

At what point does Flexibility become Absurdity? 15 mil under the floor, 20 mil under the floor?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
"Our cap flexibility allowed us to proceed with this trade, which will also benefit us as we continue making adjustments to create a hardworking, exciting team." - PD

LMFAO. If you take away our LTIR contracts we are sitting 10 Mil UNDER the floor.

At what point does Flexibility become Absurdity? 15 mil under the floor, 20 mil under the floor?
If there was ever a management group that deserves to get screwed in the draft lottery it's this one...

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
ScUt5aw.jpg

Tale of the #MelnykBucks Tape

:bolts

MIKE CONDON

CAP HIT:
1.375M (Buried)/2.400M (NHL Roster)
SALARY:
3.000M

:sens
RYAN CALLAHAN
CAP HIT:
5.800M (LTIRetired or IR)
SALARY:
0.940M (if fully insured)/4.700M (if uninsured)

RESULT
-Sens save over 2 million in #MelnykBucks.
-Lightning pay over 2M in real salary to shed 5.8M of LTIR eligible cap in exchange for 1.375M of buried cap.​

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I have to give Dorion credit: reaching the 60M cap floor with only $42M in actual payroll expenditures is legit impressive.

It's a terrible way to rebuild the team, and everyone involved should be ashamed, but he's doing a fantastic job of saving Melnyk money.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Any other team would demand at least 2nd for Callahan’s cap dump, we demand they take our unwanted $3M salary and destroy our return.

The wrong way to rebuild; this is it.

To be fair, Toronto just took a very similar contract to Callahan and only got a 4th round pick. The market has been reset. It used to be a 2nd, it isn't anymore.

I get people being upset with the state we are in where we are trying to build a team that is well below the cap floor. I'm not arguing against that. But in the context of what our team is, as sad as it is, this is a very good trade.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Any other team would demand at least 2nd for Callahan’s cap dump, we demand they take our unwanted $3M salary and destroy our return.

The wrong way to rebuild; this is it.
the issue is, if Condon is healthy, where would he have played for the Sens? They had to give him up somehow IMO.

In the end a lateral trade with a slight pick upgrade to not have a wasted goalie asset

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Moved up a few places in the draft, traded a high 6th for a low 5th

We’re literally talking about moving up 1-2 spots at best in the draft considering where both teams are expected to be. It’s a complete wash to send the picks and almost feels unnecessarily don’t to save face that we received an ‘assett’ to take Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad