Post-Game Talk: Sens 6 Oilers 1

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Not bad, actually, for what we have. Getting Pak and Slepyshev down on the roster works for me. Malone can come in for either of Pak or Khaira. Strome and Jokinen HAVE TO get going though.

Personally I'd like to try flipping Lucic and Jokinen from our original lineup to see if we can spread out some of the offensive threats and try to get more guys going. When Draisaitl gets back....

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Jokinen - RNH - XXXX
Lucic - Strome - Kassian
Caggiula - Letestu - Pakarinen/Slepyshev/Khaira/Malone

I think we need a RW addition for the top six though.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Not bad, actually, for what we have. Getting Pak and Slepyshev down on the roster works for me. Malone can come in for either of Pak or Khaira. Strome and Jokinen HAVE TO get going though.

Personally I'd like to try flipping Lucic and Jokinen from our original lineup to see if we can spread out some of the offensive threats and try to get more guys going. When Draisaitl gets back....

Jokinen - RNH - XXXX
Lucic - Strome - Kassian

I really like this.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
God, I hope not.
Why ? How are we 'ruining him' if he's ready ?

Some players are good to go right after junior . Not many, but some . Is Yamamoto among them ? I don't know yet but all signs last night point to yes.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why ? How are we 'ruining him' if he's ready ?

Some players are good to go right after junior . Not many, but some . Is Yamamoto among them ? I don't know yet but all signs last night point to yes.

Did pretty good in preseason, was making plays with McDavid, probably one of the few who can actually keep up with him. I think it is worth the risk.

He has played one NHL game where he has looked anywhere near being prepared--he got a secondary assist on a single goal in a 6-0 loss. He's played two games where he was prone to bad turnovers, poor defensive positioning and being guilty of being 5'7 and under 160 lbs. The kid is a dynamite talent, but he's nowhere near being 'ready' physically nor do we have anything to benefit from keeping him here and burning a year off of his ELC.

Alowlyoilersfan

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah I can't see Yamamoto staying past nine games. I will go so far as to say that he will not burn off that 1st year unless he is called up on an emergency basis later in the season

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Jokinen - RNH - XXXX
Lucic - Strome - Kassian

I'd love to get Leivo from the Leafs. They're tearing it up offensively right now, so they just might see him as expendable, or not needed long-term. I'd go so far as to offer a 2nd in 2019 for him. He's better than a lot of you guys probably think he is. I live in Ontario and see a lot of Leafs games because of that. Leivo has some legit skill: very good vision, and a good shot. A more gritty and defensively capable version of Eberle, IMO. A lot bigger, too (by like 4 inches). I really think he'd be a great addition.

We should all hope Matthews keeps up his production so he can garner a 14m AAV contract, and handcuff the Leafs cap-wise. :D
(Also hope for Nylander and Marner to be a point-per-game for the entire season, so they get 7m+ contracts, and hope for a 1st round loss, of course ;) )

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not crapping on Looch. By not a great fit there, I meant I don't see much chemistry between him and Nuge. Jokinen seemed to have some chemistry going with RNH. And by putting Looch on that third line, we avoid the issue of having 2 fourth lines.

I don't honestly remember JJ doing much even in preseason. If you relly want him with Nuge you could always play him on the RW with Looch and Nuge.

I don't disagree but our depth doesn't look good when one 2 injuries to our top 9 leaves us with a very bad 3rd line

Well when 1/3 of that line is hurt and the other 2/3's are struggling.

Malone called up

He had a really good game in preseason IIRC. He also has NHL experience, hopefully he pushes some of the under performers in the bottom 6.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
He has played one NHL game where he has looked anywhere near being prepared--he got a secondary assist on a single goal in a 6-0 loss. He's played two games where he was prone to bad turnovers, poor defensive positioning and being guilty of being 5'7 and under 160 lbs. The kid is a dynamite talent, but he's nowhere near being 'ready' physically nor do we have anything to benefit from keeping him here and burning a year off of his ELC.

Well the team has lost 3 of 4 so there's a few players who we can point fingers at and say they were guilty of many of those issues you stated up above.

The part about his size/weight essentially is "unfixable" in the WHL. At 19 I don't expect him to put on a lot more weight or height this year regardless if he plays in junior or the NHL.

I honestly think he's learning more by experiencing the NHL pace and intensity and learning NHL caliber systems in successive games (and taking part in hard NHL practices) than he would learn by playing at the WHL level against lesser competition and with WHL level teammates.

Who better to learn the game at the NHL level than with the fastest, most dynamic NHL player around. :)

If Yamamoto can keep up with McDavid and play well with him... that's as good as it gets in terms of NHL development imo.

Does that help the team? Can't see how it hurts them if he is generating shots/scoring chances and points.

I do agree that he has to be doing well though... not just going through the motions, but actually producing dangerous offensive chances and getting points on the board in order for him to stay with the team for the full season. So far I see that beginning to happen with the way he plays and I think that can and will continue.

He also made a smart defensive play last game coming back and helping break up a shorthanded chance against that I'm sure caught the eyes of coaches. Those plays will earn him a job almost as fast as scoring goals will. His all around awareness at both ends has to be solid and so far he's moving in the right direction.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I guess we'll never be able to call him up then, cause he's not gonna get much bigger if at all.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well the team has lost 3 of 4 so there's a few players who we can point fingers at and say they were guilty of many of those issues you stated up above.

The part about his size/weight essentially is "unfixable" in the WHL. At 19 I don't expect him to put on a lot more weight or height this year regardless if he plays in junior or the NHL.

I honestly think he's learning more by experiencing the NHL pace and intensity and learning NHL caliber systems in successive games (and taking part in hard NHL practices) than he would learn by playing at the WHL level against lesser competition and with WHL level teammates.

Who better to learn the game at the NHL level than with the fastest, most dynamic NHL player around. :)

If Yamamoto can keep up with McDavid and play well with him... that's as good as it gets in terms of NHL development imo.

Does that help the team? Can't see how it hurts them if he is generating shots/scoring chances and points.

I do agree that he has to be doing well though... not just going through the motions, but actually producing dangerous offensive chances and getting points on the board in order for him to stay with the team for the full season. So far I see that beginning to happen with the way he plays and I think that can and will continue.

He also made a smart defensive play last game coming back and helping break up a shorthanded chance against that I'm sure caught the eyes of coaches. Those plays will earn him a job almost as fast as scoring goals will. His all around awareness at both ends has to be solid and so far he's moving in the right direction.
We are a team that should be among the top teams in the conference. Having a trainee suited up next to McDavid isn't what a contending team would do. It's what our old regime would do.

I think his preseason performance is still embedded into your memory. It was a good showing but it's not something to hang your hat on as a player. The games get a lot harder when the points matter, as he's found out.

Not only do I think he's getting sent back this season, I'd wager he gets sent back next season as well.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Ill say it again, Edmonton have zeroooo shooters. Not a single player on the oilers has a shot as a threat, no one timer no snap shot nothing. Instead of trading for another project chia should have aquired or done everyting he can do to get marchesseault from Vegas or most of all James Neal for McDavid. Instead we have the slowest wings in an NHL that is transitioning into pure speed. Lucic, Maroon, Joki, Letestu, Pakar, Strome are all slow and are all starters every game. We have teetered over to the heavy side wayyy too much. Toronto is killing it ( which crushes my soul) because they have 4 balanced lines that can skate and shoot on the fly, we have so many stone hand shots that when we do get chances we dont score. I can gaurentee if we aquired 1 threat from the point on d and a one timer for Mcdavid *cough* *cough* Debrincat or burkovsky we will be okay.

I wanted us to draft Debrincat so so so badly. Not saying he'd be the answer right now, but I really think that kid has a bright future. Can't believe he went so late, and we had a chance to grab him in the 2nd round with our 32nd pick (Debrincat went 39th to CHI, and they know a thing or two about drafting), but instead chose Benson. I like Benson, but I think we might regret that one.

Puljujarvi has a good shot with a very quick release. I'm just not sure I trust Fleming and the "development staff" (I'll loosely call them) in Bako. They've developed basically nothing for this team. Nothing! They had Reinhart for two full years, and all he needed to do was improve his skating. Nope. Other teams regularly turn 2nd to mid round picks (and later) into important NHL players that give their team depth, but not us. When is the development staff going to be held accountable? Puljujarvi didn't seem to thrive last year in the AHL, and he STILL didn't seem ready for the NHL this pre-season and camp. So what exactly did they work with him on last season? Serious questions need to be asked about our development staff. That's a huge reason for our lack of depth. Either this team can only draft obvious top picks in the first round and have no clue beyond that, or the development staff has been crap for 20+ years now. I think our drafting has improved, but I'm not sure the developing of prospects into NHLers has, and that really worries me. Not sure I trust Fleming and co. with Jones, Bear, Puljujarvi, etc. They've done absolutely nothing to earn that trust. But I'm sure MacT, VP of Hockey Ops is on it. Lowe must also be around some where, and I've heard he knows a thing or two about winning. Boy, those "big changes" really helped our organization!

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The Oilers didnt really play that poorly through the first two periods of last game. But for a team that had just lost two games playing against a team that played the night before, the start was pretty pathetic. Talbot really needs to start making some early saves, hes been out-goalied the last 3 games. I think game (especially Winnipeg) might of been different if the team wasnt trailing for the majority of the game.

They have only played 4 games. And if you look at the standings, theres a lot of the poor teams from last year on top, and some of the better teams are near the bottom. I think its too early to panic based on standings but its hard to really like the way the team is playing.

Other than the Calgary game, McDavid just doesnt look nearly as effective out there. I think this is partially due to his line mates but hes looking like he did in the playoffs last year versus how he looked in the regular season.

RNH has been good this year but he doesnt have chemistry with Lucic.

Third and fourth line cant get anything going.

Teams taking a lot of dumb penalties, mainly Kassian, Larsson and Gryba.

Klefbom playing mediocre after the Calgary game.

Still early but I am not feeling too confident against Carolina. Maybe the Philadelphia game will wake the team up. Will be lots of emotions in that game.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers didnt really play that poorly through the first two periods of last game. /QUOTE]
Imma just quickly comment on this.
We had 1 shot.
A single shot.
In 15 minutes of play.
After a week off
And were down 2 goals.

The second period wasn't awful but the first was a gong show outside of a few minutes.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
??? Why, that would make the better, I mean their season is just done.

Gotta dis-agree with ya. He was good one season but line backers catch on pretty quick to that offense he was running. Packers are kinda like the Oilers. Oilers need some secondary offence and Green Bay needs some better protection for Rodgers on the Offensive Line. Maybe we can make a trade with Green Bay

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Gotta dis-agree with ya. He was good one season but line backers catch on pretty quick to that offense he was running. Packers are kinda like the Oilers. Oilers need some secondary offence and Green Bay needs some better protection for Rodgers on the Offensive Line. Maybe we can make a trade with Green Bay

But I do agree with ya, the Packers season is done

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad