Sens 2016 - Worst Case Scenario

Bilbo

Jul 22, 2011
Montreal
From Silver Seven 2016 Worst Case Scenario:
Unable to stomach sitting $3.1M on a nightly basis, Bryan Murray forces Dave Cameron's hand in playing Jared Cowen, hoping to see him develop with more games
In the offseason, the team signs a 30+ veteran player (hi Kris Russell) to fill Wiercioch's void, since going with three young players for so long wasn't working (not realizing that more *skill* is needed)
Zack Smith continues to get regular top-nine minutes and finishes the season with 18 goals but under 2.0 shots a game and poor possession numbers. The team buys-in, citing his NHL experience, and Smith is penciled in for the same role next year. Shane Prince, who we find out was only on the roster because of his waiver eligibility, is jettisoned
The team continues to run Michalek - Pageau - Lazar in the ground, citing two-way presence but forgetting that offense is one of the "two ways"
Ryan Dzingel and Cole Schneider lead Binghamton in scoring, but aren't rewarded with NHL time, as the organization rolls with Dave Dziurzynski and Max McCormick to much chagrin due to their 'roles'
Top prospects Colin White and Thomas Chabot turn pro and enter Ottawa with high expectations, despite the fact that many teenagers struggle at the NHL level.

The worst case scenario speaks to my pessimistic side. If Cameron/Murray continue with the current roster/line combinations/TOI/PP this is my expectation. I continue to hope sanity will prevail but hope, though eternal, is fading.

Might add:
Zack Smith "zero even strength points in his last 14 games" 1st line forward continues to provide a "presence" on the first line and PP is rewarded with a 3 year 3 Million per year extension (Greening 2.0). Mike Hoffman is offered less, run down in the media, opts for arbitration and is traded for surprisingly little (i.e. Havlat trade).

Chris Neil is gifted a 2 year 1.5 million per year "retirement" contract.

Now back to happier thoughts, GO SENS GO!

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Bryan Murray stays on for another year. Keeps saying we just need to get in the playoffs. Trades our 1st rounder for Kevin Bieksa.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
"The team continues to run Michalek - Pageau - Lazar in the ground, citing two-way presence but forgetting that offense is one of the "two ways"
Best first quote of the year.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
As long as the last line doesnt come true, I can stomach the others. We have rushed and ruined way too many prospects, let's not do it to two guys that could be become solid foundation pieces in the future by rushing them.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
1) Melnyk sells the team to Lonie Glieberman

2) Glieberman replaces Murray with Mike Milbury, glowingly citing Milbury's "influence in the Spezza -Yashin trade as being a major turning in Ottawa Hockey History".

3) Having mastered the game of hockey, a bored Karlsson retires at 25 to become a AA baseball player for the Chicago WhiteSox minor league affiliate.

4) in a cost-cutting move, Glieberman sells Canadian Tire Center to Cirque du Soleil to use as their practice facility, gets great rent deal at Sportsplex, Sens new home arena is Steve Yzerman Arena.

5) Sens current logo is retired, and replaced with new "Farm Boy Centurion" logo, with player names on the back replaced with the Gabriel's Pizza phone hotline.

6) Mark Stone is traded by Milbury to the expansion Las Vegas team, in exchange for Vegas's 1st round pick, but Milbury forgets to read the fine print on the offer, and it turns out to be the 1st pick in the EXPANSION draft, not the ENTRY draft.

7) In an attempt to increase the percentage of season ticket holders, Gieberman announces that the only way to buy tickets is to become a season ticket holder, and any attempt to re-sell seasons tickets invalidates the entire season's worth of tickets, and all games are blacked out to non-STH's.

8) Milbury enjoys his first meal at Big Rig, immediately signs Phillips to a 4-year extension, citing "Garlic Aioli Intangibles".

9) Sean Avery is named as Director of Player Development, followed by a 6-year period in which the Sens mysteriously lead the league in PK TOI by a 7-1 ratio.

10) Glieberman sells the team to a Japanese industrial conglomerate, who values all team members more as low-level robot assembly line workers than they do hockey players. Players spend their remaining days in Osaka, sorting through transistors and slowly drinking themselves to death.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Worst case for me would be Hoffman and the Sens not being able to sign.

If there isn't a 5 in front of his offer this will be Hoffman's sign:

vomit.7.jpg
vomit.8.jpg
vomit.9.jpg

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
1) Melnyk sells the team to Lonie Glieberman

2) Glieberman replaces Murray with Mike Milbury, glowingly citing Milbury's "influence in the Spezza -Yashin trade as being a major turning in Ottawa Hockey History".

3) Having mastered the game of hockey, a bored Karlsson retires at 25 to become a AA baseball player for the Chicago WhiteSox minor league affiliate.

4) in a cost-cutting move, Glieberman sells Canadian Tire Center to Cirque du Soleil to use as their practice facility, gets great rent deal at Sportsplex, Sens new home arena is Steve Yzerman Arena.

5) Sens current logo is retired, and replaced with new "Farm Boy Centurion" logo, with player names on the back replaced with the Gabriel's Pizza phone hotline.

6) Mark Stone is traded by Milbury to the expansion Las Vegas team, in exchange for Vegas's 1st round pick, but Milbury forgets to read the fine print on the offer, and it turns out to be the 1st pick in the EXPANSION draft, not the ENTRY draft.

7) In an attempt to increase the percentage of season ticket holders, Gieberman announces that the only way to buy tickets is to become a season ticket holder, and any attempt to re-sell seasons tickets invalidates the entire season's worth of tickets, and all games are blacked out to non-STH's.

8) Milbury enjoys his first meal at Big Rig, immediately signs Phillips to a 4-year extension, citing "Garlic Aioli Intangibles".

9) Sean Avery is named as Director of Player Development, followed by a 6-year period in which the Sens mysteriously lead the league in PK TOI by a 7-1 ratio.

10) Glieberman sells the team to a Japanese industrial conglomerate, who values all team members more as low-level robot assembly line workers than they do hockey players. Players spend their remaining days in Osaka, sorting through transistors and slowly drinking themselves to death.

Doesnt sound so bad

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I would be pretty pumped if Michalek-Pageau-Lazar was our third line at this point.

My worst case scenario would be Cameron still with the team past this season.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Worst case? Karlsson asks for a trade because Ottawa isn't committed to winning. Seriously, if Karlsson was traded, would anyone even bother to watch on TV, let alone pay to go to a game?

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Worst case? Karlsson asks for a trade because Ottawa isn't committed to winning. Seriously, if Karlsson was traded, would anyone even bother to watch on TV, let alone pay to go to a game?

Why wouldn't he? This is a waste of his prime years.

The Sens need a new GM and a new coach but as long as we have the same owner
I dont see any really meaningful moves.

Cameron has coached a Melnyk team now for about 15 years.Bingo drove him out of town on a rail but he put him right back in charge of his junior team and he was just biding his time to make him head coach of the Sens.

Melnyk will resist having Cameron fired and since he's the boss...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Why wouldn't he? This is a waste of his prime years.

The Sens need a new GM and a new coach but as long as we have the same owner
I dont see any really meaningful moves.

Cameron has coached a Melnyk team now for about 15 years.Bingo drove him out of town on a rail but he put him right back in charge of his junior team and he was just biding his time to make him head coach of the Sens.

Melnyk will resist having Cameron fired and since he's the boss...

It's starting to get a bit scary.

Looking what's going on in Tampa With Stamkos and Drouin (apparently Cooper is the root cause, according to some Tampa fans). If the same thing ends up happening here............

Hopefully we start getting some of our injured guys back and get back on track before things spiral out of control. We could really use Mac right now in the top 6.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Stop making me sad guys.

We have no chance in winning the cup with this owner do we?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Stop making me sad guys.

Has nothing to do with the owner. Teams can be built on a budget. This team looks really good sometimes. Looked great at the end of last year.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Stop making me sad guys.

We have a chance.

Let's be honest here. There's maybe 1-2 teams in this league who can power their way to the cup final (Chicago...maybe an LA). The rest of the playoff teams need good matchups in every round to advance. For the playoff teams, it's more about rock-paper-scissors because of the parity.

If we make the playoffs, and get some nice matchups....anything can happen. The final round is more about which team is in better health than anything.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Has nothing to do with the owner. Teams can be built on a budget. This team looks really good sometimes. Looked great at the end of last year.

That's because our weaker players got injured and the coach was forced to use the younger guys that were buried in the bottom 6 and they had prominent roles after MacLean was fired. We also rode a hot goalie in an impossible run.

Barely making the playoffs and hoping to win a round isn't doing it for me anymore. I want the team to take the next step and be considered as cup contenders like it use to. Not just spin our tires on this mediocrity.

Mar 14, 2015
They need to show this summer that they are going forward and want to be a contender. You have the core, Melnyk has to spend and the right time to start doing that is now. There are some good UFA's available. If not it's just a waste of Karlsson prime, Cmon Sens want to see you succeed.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
The worst case scenario for this team is nothing changing. We keep Murray or promote someone like him, we keep buying into the same stories, we keep hiring the wrong coaches, we keep signing "tough" players, we keep doing the same stuff and expecting something good to come out of it. We are not on the path to winning right now.

Something extreme, like a Karlsson trade request, would not be a good thing, but it would get the fans, the media, and the other good players all riled up. It would cause a s***storm twice as big as when Alfie left.

I'm not saying that I want our top end players to leave, but someone needs to make a statement soon, or else we'll be a mediocre team for a long time and slowly end up going the same route as Toronto.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The worst case scenario for this team is nothing changing. We keep Murray or promote someone like him, we keep buying into the same stories, we keep hiring the wrong coaches, we keep signing "tough" players, we keep doing the same stuff and expecting something good to come out of it. We are not on the path to winning right now.

Something extreme, like a Karlsson trade request, would not be a good thing, but it would get the fans, the media, and the other good players all riled up. It would cause a s***storm twice as big as when Alfie left.

I'm not saying that I want our top end players to leave, but someone needs to make a statement soon, or else we'll be a mediocre team for a long time and slowly end up going the same route as Toronto.

I mentioned somewhere (not sure which thread), that Karlsson has a NTC kick in for the start of the 2017-18 season. If we let the team stagnate until then, we are screwed. It'll be another Spezza situation where Erik can dictate exactly what team he'd go to, and we'll have no choice but to take whatever little pittance offer that team gives us.

I can't read what's going on in Erik's head, so it's impossible to say how he feels about the team. It may be a case where he is completely loyal to Ottawa forever, or he wants a ring more than anything. We have no way of knowing.

All I know is, if the worst case scenario happens and we do have to trade him for whatever reason, it has to be be before that NTC kicks in.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Karlsson demanding a trade would be pretty bad and could happen if we don't improve things quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad