Recalled/Assigned: Send them the Checkers Geekie

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
fantastic for geekie, and i think this speaks to the fact that carolina has a vacancy at 4th line center that they're looking to fill. it would shock me none if we're still in the mix in a couple of weeks to incentivize jack drury to put pen to paper by giving him a look there. he's 3rd in the ncaa in points per game. 20 goals in 28 games. 11 of those on the powerplay. his stock has hit the point that it doesn't make sense to not get him locked in right away, and it might take nhl opportunity to do so. for those that think that doesn't sound like brind'amour, brind'amour himself was signed this way and put directly into the playoffs with the blues.

hopefully we get to see geekie here in the interim and he can really show out. i don't think we gave it enough attention, but geekie had 9 goals in 9 games from mid january to mid february and put up a hattrick on march 1st. that gave him 13 goals in 18 games since the middle of february. he's really switched on. the timing of the recall is a little curious, but this was coming regardless once they dealt wallmark. he's been too good to not have a look.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The $20k performance bonus Geekie has is, judging from the sum, a Games Played bonus. It could be for 5 games (the allowed max for 5 games played bonus is $25k), but it also can be for 10 or 10+ games played like the $70k one in his first year was.

Morgan Geekie - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The money shouldn't be of consequence though, as the call-up assumably uses up one of our four allowed post-TDL regular call-ups.

CBA 13.12 said:
(l) During the period following 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day
immediately preceding the final day of the Regular Season, and continuing through and
including the last day of the Regular Season, no Player may be Recalled from Loan to a club of
any league affiliated with the NHL, except that:

(i) A Club may exercise four (4) regular Recalls from a club or clubs of any
league affiliated with the NHL, of Player(s) listed on its own Reserve List.

(ii) Players may be Recalled under Article 13.12(m).

(iii) Players may be Recalled upon completion of the regular season and
playoff schedule of the club to which they were Loaned.
(m) Emergency Recall.

(i) A Player on Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the League may
be Recalled from such Loan under emergency conditions at any time for the duration of the emergency only following which he must be returned promptly to the club from which he was Recalled.

(ii) Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing strength of
the Loaning Club, by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by
League suspension to its Players is reduced below the level of two (2)
goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof of the
existence of the emergency conditions including the incapacity shall be
furnished to the Commissioner of the League upon request made by him.

(iii) For the purpose of establishing the existence of emergency conditions at
any time, to support the Recall of a Player for participation in any Playoff
Game, it shall be deemed that the Player(s) on Loan following 3:00 p.m.
New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the last
day of the Regular Season are continuing on Loan for the remainder of the
season notwithstanding that the Loaned club(s) may have been eliminated
from further play for the season.

Reactions: Tryamw

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Very optimistic with Geekie...he seems to surge in the second half of each season. Plus, I want to justify this "too slow" label for myself.
Geekie vs Drury for the fourth line and at some point possibly third line spot will be an interesting conversation if neither moves to wing. They’ve been high on Geekie for awhile, not a surprise he wasn’t used at the deadline. They both have skating issues, but have other attributes. Drury is smart and defensive, adaptable but not really a higher skill guy whereas Geekie is a power forward and a shooter. He’s been clutch in playoffs during his time which shows leadership which is also something Drury has.

Like Wally, they both have Staal blocking their way.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
that kind of performance will foegele your way right onto the roster. he did everything brind'amour wants his forwards to do. the skating didn't even look bad to me. watching him climb the depth chart in real time was a wonderful thing. for such a slightly built kid he sure snakes his way into inside position. just insanely impressed.

Colonel Ross

Sep 27, 2017
Calgary
geekie.jpg
Wowie Geekie!! What a debut

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
that kind of performance will foegele your way right onto the roster. he did everything brind'amour wants his forwards to do. the skating didn't even look bad to me. watching him climb the depth chart in real time was a wonderful thing. for such a slightly built kid he sure snakes his way into inside position. just insanely impressed.
I agree with everything but the skating. He hustles but he’s got brutal balance, can’t bend his knees, does bend at the waist awkwardly reaching with his stick for everything he can’t get his feet to move to. It works for him if he plays that hard every night. His offense isn’t carrying the puck, it’s the power forward deflections and rebounds game, fighting for possession on the boards, we barely saw him carry the puck up the ice. I’ve seen him rip shots off the rush driving wide, we’ll see how often he gets that kind of chance in the bigs. He sat back and played a Staal like complete sacrifice of offense style of defensive play in his own zone where he was behind our defense supporting them very early on. Which you know Rod loved and why he felt ok giving him a bigger role as the game went.

He definitely has something to contribute and I love him, but it ain’t ever gonna look purty. I’m fine with that, surround him with guys who move better.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I agree with everything but the skating. He hustles but he’s got brutal balance, can’t bend his knees, does bend at the waist awkwardly reaching with his stick for everything he can’t get his feet to move to. It works for him if he plays that hard every night. His offense isn’t carrying the puck, it’s the power forward deflections and rebounds game, fighting for possession on the boards, we barely saw him carry the puck up the ice. I’ve seen him rip shots off the rush driving wide, we’ll see how often he gets that kind of chance in the bigs. He sat back and played a Staal like complete sacrifice of offense style of defensive play in his own zone where he was behind our defense supporting them very early on. Which you know Rod loved and why he felt ok giving him a bigger role as the game went.

He definitely has something to contribute and I love him, but it ain’t ever gonna look purty. I’m fine with that, surround him with guys who move better.

It's the Caps who bend the knee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad