Proposal: Send a thank you note to the Calgary Flames?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It was more than a rumor three years ago that Benning and the Canucks had serious interest in Lucic. But Chiarelli and the Oil scooped him up, letting the Canucks step out of the way of the speeding train....so instead they go out and blow out their brains by signing Eriksson.

I just have gut feeling that Lucic won't last long in Cowtown....but where he ends up is the big question.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah apparently it wasn't even really close to happening.

But was this because Benning wasn't interesting or was it because Eriksson wouldn't waive for Edmonton (and we don't know who else was on it) so once he got that there was no point contacting Edmonton?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
But was this because Benning wasn't interesting or was it because Eriksson wouldn't waive for Edmonton (and we don't know who else was on it) so once he got that there was no point contacting Edmonton?

My guess is that the Canucks weren't interested or required a valuable sweetener that the Oilers weren't willing to give. Lucic needs to be protected from the expansion draft. Benning has thus far made that a nonstarter in his contract negotiations.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Lol it's never Benning is it?
Well actually its never been benning trying to acquire lucic has it?
I don't remember hearing that from JB so "its never benning is it" unless you can provide a source other then the media stimulating on lucic then jb hate is blinding people to truth.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
It was more than a rumor three years ago that Benning and the Canucks had serious interest in Lucic. But Chiarelli and the Oil scooped him up, letting the Canucks step out of the way of the speeding train....so instead they go out and blow out their brains by signing Eriksson.

I just have gut feeling that Lucic won't last long in Cowtown....but where he ends up is the big question.
My recollection is that ericksson signed before lucic did and the twins were wanting erickson to play with them not lucic.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Well actually its never been benning trying to acquire lucic has it?
I don't remember hearing that from JB so "its never benning is it" unless you can provide a source other then the media stimulating on lucic then jb hate is blinding people to the truth.

If Jim spoke openly about pursuing lucic that would be tampering.

And there's evidence of Jim pursuing lucic previous, so it's not "never been Jim Benning" when it comes to lucic.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
More like the local media have been trying to acquire him ever since he went to LA

Benning has hinted and telegraphed every move he's made this offseason.
Zero suggestion in his recent hits he was looking for another forward addition.

I saw Francis' Vancouver mention kinda transparent. Seemed like an attempt quell an erupting fanbase.
I do not think there was a bidding war for Lucic... that's crazy.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Now that they have taken on Lucic, all fans in Vancouver can breath a sigh of relief.

Should Canuck fans sign a thank you note and forward it on to the Flames managment?

Until Eriksson is moved, I would not say thank you and would not count my eggs before they are hatched. How would you react to a Eriksson for Lucic deal? but with Calgary now?

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
The lucic signing was announced at approximately 930am, Eriksson didn't sign until 1pm ish.
So they must've been negotiating at the same time.
I really didn't think lucic was the nucks first choice and louie had history playing with the sedins .
I do believe lucic always wanted to come home but was the nuckscsecond choice is louie fell through.
Guess we'll never know for sure unless jb writes his memoirs.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
So they must've been negotiating at the same time.
I really didn't think lucic was the nucks first choice and louie had history playing with the sedins .
I do believe lucic always wanted to come home but was the nuckscsecond choice is louie fell through.
Guess we'll never know for sure unless jb writes his memoirs.

Teams can talk to players for the week prior to free agency.

Also I think you're coming to the conclusions you are because that's what you want to believe rather then what the evidence shows. Jim was pursuing lucic in free agency and was connected to him well before Eriksson's name was mentioned.

It's far more likely lucic was the first choice, from what quotes and interviews reveal, and Eriksson the consolation prize once lucic went to Edmonton.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
If Jim spoke openly about pursuing lucic that would be tampering.

And there's evidence of Jim pursuing lucic previous, so it's not "never been Jim Benning" when it comes to lucic.
I imagine jims been talking about and pursuing a lot of players including lucic for years but i believe louie was their focus over lucic at that time.
Right now lucics lost a lot of ability and not sure if jb is persuing him but I'll admit jims shown interest but with lucics last couple seasons that mightve cooled right off

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Teams can talk to players for the week prior to free agency.

Also I think you're coming to the conclusions you are because that's what you want to believe rather then what the evidence shows. Jim was pursuing lucic in free agency and was connected to him well before Eriksson's name was mentioned.

It's far more likely lucic was the first choice, from what quotes and interviews reveal, and Eriksson the consolation prize once lucic went to Edmonton.
I remember the connection being made by the media because it was a natural choice with him being a home town boy but thats the media and I hear them making connections with barrie possibly coming home next year as a ufa .
The media needs storylines so the hometown boy coming home is great clickbait for fans.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Except in contracts and playability. Eriksson is a much more servicable forward than Lucic, not to mention he doesn't have to be protected in the ED.

Also, Eriksson's base salary goes up to $3M and his signing bonus drops to $1M. If we buy him out in June 2021, we take a $4M cap hit in 21-22 and $1M in 22-23

Due to the way Lucic's contract is structured, buying it out in the final year (June 2022, not June 2021 like Eriksson) only nets $0.667M in cap savings in 22-23 and a $0.333M cap hit in 23-24

Reactions: John Johnson

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Why do you believe that?
Louie was a better fit for the twins and trying to keep the ship afloat while the twins were still here was a team focus.
Im not sure what lucic had to offer to the twins but he wouldve been a great addition at that time just like we all thought louie was.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Louie was a better fit for the twins and trying to keep the ship afloat while the twins were still here was a team focus.
Im not sure what lucic had to offer to the twins but he wouldve been a great addition at that time just like we all thought louie was.

All the rumors and articles had lucic as the main target and Eriksson as a secondary. I get the thinking behind signing Eriksson to compliment the twins but the overwhelming evidence was that lucic was who Benning really wanted.

Which is why when combined with Benning trying to trade for him from Boston, people put a lot of stock into the current rumors of moving Eriksson for him. Not just a product of the media creating stories for clicks.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
All the rumors and articles had lucic as the main target and Eriksson as a secondary. I get the thinking behind signing Eriksson to compliment the twins but the overwhelming evidence was that lucic was who Benning really wanted.

Which is why when combined with Benning trying to trade for him from Boston, people put a lot of stock into the current rumors of moving Eriksson for him. Not just a product of the media creating stories for clicks.
I'm not sure if it wasn't the media pumping lucics tires more the jb was .
I admit jb showed some interest but so did other gms at the time and at the prior trade deadline he was worth a first to la.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yep the Canucks fans should immediately put the Flames and Devils on their Xmas card list.....Lucic to Calgary and Subban to New Jersey. Two more potential disasters eliminated from Jimbo's radar screen. Hallelujah!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad