Pre-Game Talk: Senators @ WHC

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Yawn.

Sens are nowhere and we can’t even enjoy watching a few of the players at the WHC. Sigh. I haven’t had such low expectations for hockey in a while.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Chabot (2015 draft) only saw action in 6 /10 games . Used sparingly 7:39 yesterday.

usage by comparison

McAvoy (2016 Draft) played 27:24... Huge role for the team since arriving.
Hughes (2018 Draft) played 11:39 and saw a good amount of PP time through out. Hughes a great showcase opportunity and he took advantage.
Colin White (basically an AHL level /Callup player to date for the Sens) given a pretty prominent role .. no PP time , a little PK time.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Chabot (2015 draft) only saw action in 6 /10 games . Used sparingly 7:39 yesterday.

usage by comparison

Hughes (2018 Draft) played 11:39 and saw a good amount of PP time through out. Hughes a great showcase opportunity and he took advantage.
Colin White (basically an AHL level /Callup player to date for the Sens) given a pretty prominent role .. no PP time , a little PK time.
Which is why i posed the question earlier.Is why the hell our guys go over there,other than the free trip??They always seem to get second billing,or the first bumped whenever another player is added to the roster

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Which is why i posed the question earlier.Is why the hell our guys go over there,other than the free trip??They always seem to get second billing,or the first bumped whenever another player is added to the roster
White got to play with Kane. No complaints there. This is a TC issue not a sens issue

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Chabot should have played more. It reminds me of the '16 World Juniors when Chabot was the only D-man playing well and they didn't play him enough and go figure, they didn't medal.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
White got to play with Kane. No complaints there. This is a TC issue not a sens issue
Over on the International Tournaments board , US Roster thread someone claims Kane requested playing with White over Bonino .. maybe he was thinking balance , maybe he liked playing with him :dunno:. Milano hardly played though.. and Tage Thompson saw less ice as it went along. Good for White anyway to get a pretty decent role and some regular icetime.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Over on the International Tournaments board , US Roster thread someone claims Kane requested playing with White over Bonino .. maybe he was thinking balance , maybe he liked playing with him :dunno:. Milano hardly played though.. and Tage Thompson saw less ice as it went along. Good for White anyway to get a pretty decent role and some regular icetime.

Duchene also said that he liked playing with White.
Maybe skilled player like the way he complemented them.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
White is the guy everyone loves because he's a blue collar worker and a chameleon. He'll do the dirty work for the skill guys, and will modify his game to blend in with whoever he is playing with (allowing the skill guys to play their game 100%). Skill guys love that because it frees them up to be more creative and keep their nose clean.

As for TC...if I was Dorion, I would be very wary of letting another high profile kid play for them at the Worlds unless I got a guarantee they'll get decent icetime. That team was coached horribly. They desperately needed Chabots skillset out there, but barely used him. Hell, they misused McDavid, ffs! How the hell does a coach with pro experience misuse one of the top 10 players on the planet?

Reactions: topshelf15

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
White is the guy everyone loves because he's a blue collar worker and a chameleon. He'll do the dirty work for the skill guys, and will modify his game to blend in with whoever he is playing with (allowing the skill guys to play their game 100%). Skill guys love that because it frees them up to be more creative and keep their nose clean.

As for TC...if I was Dorion, I would be very wary of letting another high profile kid play for them at the Worlds unless I got a guarantee they'll get decent icetime. That team was coached horribly. They desperately needed Chabots skillset out there, but barely used him. Hell, they misused McDavid, ffs! How the hell does a coach with pro experience misuse one of the top 10 players on the planet?

I'm sure the players would love being told that we're blocking them from joining their national team because our feelings were hurt last time when they didn't play our guy enough.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

NHL GMs don't have any say one who gets selected to play for TC at the WHC.

It's 100% between Hockey Canada and the players. Each player decides for themselves, and depending on their health and contract situations, decide to go or not to go. They don't need their GMs permission either way.

Trying to hang the lack of playing time for Chabot, on Dorion, is probably to longest stretch I've seen here, in a while, to make Dorion look bad.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

It's 100% between Hockey Canada and the players. Each player decides for themselves, and depending on their health and contract situations, decide to go or not to go. They don't need their GMs permission either way.

Trying to hang the lack of playing time for Chabot, on Dorion, is probably to longest stretch I've seen here, in a while, to make Dorion look bad.

They are actually bound by the IIHF transfer agreement, so as long as the tournament in question is a participant in that agreement, teams have essentially already consented to releasing players.

Technically, if a club decided not to release a player despite the IIHF transfer agreement, my understanding is that player would not be eligible to play in the tournament, and the club failing to release the player would be subject a fine, and potentially some other sanctions. I doubt an NHL team would ever do that though, as the league itself would likely get pretty pissed off at them.

Having said all that, nobody is trying to hang the blame on Dorion for TC not playing our players enough. If there's a stretch being made here, it's by you trying to fit Nac Mac Feegle's comment into your everyone blames Dorion and Melnyk unfairly narrative. This is just a case of someone not understanding why we'd take the risk of releasing players for these tournaments going forward when they don't get the benefit of playing time, without realizing that the team is subject to a league wide transfer agreement.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Your reading comprehension skills are horrible. I didn't blame Dorion at all.

GMs and teams certainly can't block a player from going. But, if I were GM, I'd tell the players that hey, guys like Ceci and Chabot were essentially shafted with playing time the last few years....do you really want to waste a few weeks of vacation/training time for that? Doesn't seem worth it, it me. Not with the shitty way TC has been coached at the Worlds lately.

Reactions: topshelf15

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

usage by comparison

HC suffering from the same thing many current NHL coaches are suffering from, unable to realize it is a young mans skating league, loyalty and what you did in the past has no place in pro sports anymore, get these dinosaur archaic head coaches, their crappy ideas and ideologies, their little club of hiring the same clowns over and over again and the people who hire them out of here asap please!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad