Confirmed with Link: Senators sign UFA Joe Corvo (1yr, 900k)

John Holmes*

Do you guys even know what he said?

:laugh:

Get a grip. He didn't trash the team or the city, he said the media were sensationalist, small town hicks that blow everything out of proportion...which they are.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Corvo, who chose to sign a four-year, $10.7-million US deal with Ottawa in July 2005, said his family didn't like the city, he didn't like the way he was treated by the Ottawa media and thought the city was too small with nowhere to escape.

I like Corvo's offense but what you wrote is what I thought too (right or wrong). Even with the flaws he still fits way better the Sens style of play than Lundin did. Wonder if he still wants to fight Turris?

WhiteLight*

I'm ok with it. Guy's a bit of a freak but whatever.

Sens need a right shooting D-man with offense. One year deal and cheap. It's all good. The Sens have 6 better defenseman anyway so if he really sucks defensively he can just take a seat. Will be interesting see how he does in this system though.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Who wants to bet that turris and corvo fight each other during the first game they play?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
If this signing happened on its own I would be really underwhelmed and disappointed. However, with the pickups at forward, and knowing that we have to sign our RFAs, Corvo seems like a pretty good deal. He can run the second powerplay, which instantly makes us a better team.

Does anyone know if Murray made any references to being done making moves? I am ok with it if he is, because having a battle for the last top 6 slot on the right side will probably be better in the long run than picking up any of the UFAs that are left.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
GOOD move. Right handed .... good nhl experience. Fill the lineup. Makes PW less important if he plays hardball. Can fill in most situations..better than Lundin. I think this says Gryba - Cowen.

TheOriginalSilf*

Good signing. Low risk, high reward. Patented Murray move.

I actually really liked Corvo when he was here before. He may be a bit of a weird dude, but his comments upon departure were blown way out of proportion. He hated our media, not our city or team.

Let's be real: we all hate our media.

Penner getrdonebryan

Jun 8, 2007
Rou.
It seems Murray really wanted a faster team next season...all 3 pickups are fast and we also let walk some of the players who had footspeed issues - Gonch,Latendresse,even Silf.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Ugh, yuck. I guess we needed someone like that, but yuck. Let's hope he's done beating up women. Oh, and guys the size of Turris.

But only 1 year and the contract is dirt cheap, so I guess I can't complain too hard.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Say what you will about him, but he's exactly what we need right now.

Finally a big shot on the powerplay. Gonchar was great here, but the guy never had the shot to be an effective target for Karlsson on the powerplay. I can't count the amount of times EK would set up Gonchar for a big shot from the point, just to see Gonch cradle it and survey his options instead of firing it towards the net.

Corvo could hit the 10G mark because of Karlsson, and our powerplay could be somewhat effective for the first time in years.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Do you guys even know what he said?

:laugh:

Get a grip. He didn't trash the team or the city, he said the media were sensationalist, small town hicks that blow everything out of proportion...which they are.

Im sure that he's not the only player in Sens history to feel that way. For the most part the Ottawa sports media is atrocious, relatively speaking.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Spectacular addition.

He will be a bigger threat on our PP than Gonchar has been in last 2 years.

This guy can hammer it and should score at least 5 PPG just because everyone will be covering Karlsson and he'll feed it to him. He is also RH and plays right side, really good.

Also, this offers us another solid puck-rusher. Talking to some Carolina guys and they said he actually improved defensively. He isn't as wild and unpredictable with the puck as much, good enough for me.

He instantly makes our PP and transition game that much better. Also, I wonder if there is another trade to come.

I don't know where I would slot Corvo. Him and Phillips would be horrific together, mostly because Phillips needs a defensive partner just as importantly as Corvo needs one.

John Holmes*

Corvo is on Facebook.

Matt Spezza's account used to be wide open and he had a ton of nhl'ers on his friends list.

Don't ask how I know that.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Sens are now looking into bring back Oleg Saprykin and Mike Comrie. E5

Chris Campoli is still unsure about his future e4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad