Proposal: Senators shakeup

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The problem with Ottawa is that it's hard to find some part of the game that doesn't need improvement.

So in a way, it's hard to know where to start. I'm not sure this trade offer does a lot except for clearing Norris (who few teams would take a chance on at this point anyway).

The obvious place is goaltending, where in terms of GAAA, they had 3 of the worst 6 goalies in the league. Clearly, it's not solely the issue of the netminders, and team defence does play a part, but it's still not good enough. Unfortunately, there's a lot of that going around.

On the blueline, their top 2 defencemen on paper were essentially eclipsed by a 21 year old sophomore. For the ice time and the pay that they get, Chabot and Chychrun did not live up to their billing.

On the plus side, Chychrun played a full season for the first time in his career. On the downside, he looked lost in his own zone from time to time, and both guys were prone to unnecessary gaffes. Chabot was in and out of the line-up and his level of play fluctuated dramatically as well. Not good enough for what he's being paid.

Paying a lot for 3 LD, two of whom are unreliable defensively, makes for a bit of an unbalanced defensive squad, and there's only one solid RD in Zub to go around. I might be inclined to keep Chychrun with his wicked shot over Chabot's muffin, but I suspect his contract is easier to move. Someone like DeMelo on RD would suit the remaining LD.

Up front, Stutzle was injured or played injured for a chunk of the season, Pinto missed half the season due to the gambling issue and Norris played a handful of games where he was still recovering and then was out for good with the same injury again. It was tough sledding for Ottawa's pivots this year, and that's not a good recipe for success.

Losing Tarasenko means he needs to replaced in some form or fashion, preferably by another veteran who has a little offensive pop left in them. Another veteran or two who can play on the 3rd/4th line might also be welcome.

Who the next coach is will undoubtedly also be a factor.
Rs have elite Shesterkin on super bargain.
Could gamble Quick + heir apparent Garand + Domingue as emergency fill in are fine if Martians kidnapped Shesty.
Rs have needs.
Shesty would cost, but be a big dif maker most games as starter

after upcoming season at 5.+, Rs extend 8.75 per x 4 = 5 yrs prime shesty into early 30s

swap that + stopgap Lindgren [3 per->rfa rights] for Sanderson
something like dat

high end for high end, need for need

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Cant see NJD moving Nemec, even for Brady
A sturdy and skilled top pair RHD is perhaps the most desired and hard to fill NHL roster spot

Something around Meier + for Brady might satisfy NJD
but probably won't move the needle for Ottawa

i think this whole Ottawa needs a shake-up is BS anyway;
it takes a while for a team to gel, Ottawa has solid promising young core

A couple solid leader/winner type vets (a 2nd, younger Giroux type ,a better Hamonic type), to assume some of the harder minutes at times, could support the young core guys reaching their upsides sooner
some level of agree it is not as bad as some think but they need more horses
most clubs do

have to consider if enuf profit to trade certain pieces for acceptable overpay = improved bottom line

again that depends on the pieces, IF

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Shesterkin will have an NTC and I doubt he'll waive for Ottawa.
Fair enuf but let's say he recognizes Rs are gonna move vets except Kreider + Fox for cap. Trouba + good retained. bread not sniffing anywhere near 11.6+ again, so rather than wait to the last second -> things look embarrassing, he might get sold too.
Only Zib w/full nmc might not waive.

Shesty won't move for cheap, but 8.75 shorter deal is min for top end, and he could still command a big pay day after.

If he thinks Sens are perpetual trash-> constantly hopeless, I agree.
But if he thinks there is enuf there w/a few added tweaks....
maybe.

If he waives, would you do it?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yeah fair enough. I hadn’t included Tkachuk for the sake of shaking things up, rather I do wonder how many disappointing seasons before he follows his brothers footsteps requesting a trade stateside.

An elite power forward who is skilled and a physical menace is impossible to replace, but also would hold high trade value.

Of course the irony is if you change up the team to take the next step and become a playoff team, he’s EXACTLY the player you want on your side.

Also left off Batherson as I couldn’t think of a good trade partner right away, but he seems like a candidate to trade while recouping value.
Difference is he's locked up long term and doesn't have the leverage his brother did

Reactions: bert

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Meier looked like a different player once he was healthy this year, no chance they're looking to get out of his deal already.

Zero chance Nemec is available at all, not solely because he looks like he's going to be a top pairing guy but because it would leave them with Marino and Hamilton who is coming off a serious injury as their only NHL level RD.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Hell no from the Devils. Nemec is a really promising young defenseman and Meier had a tough injury earlier this season. He was really productive when got healthier.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Sens fan what are you ready to give for Miko Rantanen with 7 years contract?

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Sens with another disappointing season, still have many assets to rebalance their squad.

They obviously don’t need to blow it up but could benefit from a shakeup.

Thoughts?

To NJD: Tkachuk
To OTT: Meier, Nemec+

To CBJ: Norris, Chychrun
To OTT: Jenner, Johnson
This is bad

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Difference is he's locked up long term and doesn't have the leverage his brother did

Signed long-term, yes, but he gets a full NMC clause after next season, assuming it kicks in on July 1, 2025.

At that point he has a lot of leverage, maybe not as much as his brother as an upcoming UFA, but he'd be able to essentially pick his destination.

If the Sens suck again in 2024/25 and he requests a trade, the Sens would be smart to get maximum value for him by trading him to the highest bidder prior to his NMC kicking in.

Obviously no Sens fan would hope it comes to that, but I could definitely see it happening. Already been 6 years with no playoffs and his brother is obviously extremely happen he made the decision to go back down south.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Hell no from the Devils. Nemec is a really promising young defenseman and Meier had a tough injury earlier this season. He was really productive when got healthier.

Outside of that Month in december with the double MCL injury:

Meier: 0.436 goals per game, 0.873 points per game
Tkachuk: 0.457 goals per game 0.913 points per game

Yeah, that is certainly not a simon nemec+ level gap

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

Bond

May 10, 2012
NJD offered the number 2 overall pick used to select Nemec, 1 for 1 for Brady Tkachuks significantly better brother.

NJD would not be offering Nemec for the worse brother, let alone adding Meier, let alone adding more.
Source?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
What would be the ask from Minnesota for Batherson?
It would be a hard deal to make imo. Can't see a conversation beginning from Ottawa's end without Hartman ++, Öhgren, or maybe Wallstedt or Yurov (excellent prospect but the Sens staff has been under-represented in Russia for decades now & we don't know the new regimes stance just yet). Seems somewhat counter-intuitive for the Wild to give up any of those guys though.
Batherson for MTL #6

OTT gets #6 + #7
Not sure I'd make that deal but I could see Staois jumping on the opportunity to put his stamp on the team and hopefully bring in young talent to rival the 2020 influx.

Batherson is just so talented and intelligent out there, big too, that I really think he could flirt with superstar winger status for a couple years in his peak.

Reactions: Lockin17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad