Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
He just gets it.

Clear and composed; relaxed, cerebral. Humorous. Underlying passionate.

Absolute winning attitude.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Each year I like to start a discussion about which Sens prospects have "risen" and "fallen" the most since last year. Eg. which prospect(s) have increased their likelihood of being good NHL players based on this past season?

Risers

I am going to leave out graduated players Zibanejad and Lehner, and also the most frequently discussed players Stone, Hoffman, Da Costa, Ceci and Lazar - nothing new I can add to those discussions.

So, my risers list is:

Ryan Dzingel - Big jump in production in his Junior year of NCAA, and even more importantly (IMO) he produced very nicely in a late season stint in Bingo.

JG Pageau - Possibly a surprising choice given his 2013 playoff heroics, but Pageau's AHL offensive production really jumped this year, to almost point-per-game levels. Playing about half the year as a 20 yr old, that speaks to more offensive upside than I thought he had.

Matt Puempel - I was really not sure what to think about this guy, but a 30 goal season in his first full year in the AHL? Whatever I thought his production would be, that exceeded it.

Fred Claesson - I had him on my risers list last year, and he's kept that trajectory going.

Honorable mention - Quentin Shore, Robbie Baillergeron both with strong NCAA seasons at a relatively young age. Chris Wideman established himself as a real good AHL player, unclear whether he can take the next step.

Fallers

Mike Sdao - Hard to recall now, but there was a fair amount of hype surrounding Sdao last summer. He didn't really establish himself as a good AHL player this year, much less as an NHL prospect. Was a healthy scratch in the playoffs. We'll see how he does this year.

Buddy Robinson - Also a lot of hype last year, and he had an okay first season in the AHL. But, it was very evident that despite his size he's not (yet) a real physical player. He'll need to be if he want to play in the NHL.

Shane Prince -- Did he really ask for a trade? Or threaten to go to the KHL? Or did I just dream that? And why did his sister play such a prominent role in that dream?

Cory Cowick / David Dziurzynski / Derek Grant - I was really hoping one or two of these guys would break out and prove to be a good option as a physical 4th line energy player. I guess I still kinda believe Cowick might do it....

Cory Conacher - Hmmmm.... didn't we rate him as our 4th or 5th best prospect in our poll last summer? Or was that another dream I had?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Each year I like to start a discussion about which Sens prospects have "risen" and "fallen" the most since last year. Eg. which prospect(s) have increased their likelihood of being good NHL players based on this past season?

Risers

I am going to leave out graduated players Zibanejad and Lehner, and also the most frequently discussed players Stone, Hoffman, Da Costa, Ceci and Lazar - nothing new I can add to those discussions.

So, my risers list is:

Ryan Dzingel - Big jump in production in his Junior year of NCAA, and even more importantly (IMO) he produced very nicely in a late season stint in Bingo.

JG Pageau - Possibly a surprising choice given his 2013 playoff heroics, but Pageau's AHL offensive production really jumped this year, to almost point-per-game levels. Playing about half the year as a 20 yr old, that speaks to more offensive upside than I thought he had.

Matt Puempel - I was really not sure what to think about this guy, but a 30 goal season in his first full year in the AHL? Whatever I thought his production would be, that exceeded it.

Fred Claesson - I had him on my risers list last year, and he's kept that trajectory going.

Honorable mention - Quentin Shore, Robbie Baillergeron both with strong NCAA seasons at a relatively young age. Chris Wideman established himself as a real good AHL player, unclear whether he can take the next step.

Fallers

Mike Sdao - Hard to recall now, but there was a fair amount of hype surrounding Sdao last summer. He didn't really establish himself as a good AHL player this year, much less as an NHL prospect. Was a healthy scratch in the playoffs. We'll see how he does this year.

Buddy Robinson - Also a lot of hype last year, and he had an okay first season in the AHL. But, it was very evident that despite his size he's not (yet) a real physical player. He'll need to be if he want to play in the NHL.

Shane Prince -- Did he really ask for a trade? Or threaten to go to the KHL? Or did I just dream that? And why did his sister play such a prominent role in that dream?

Cory Cowick / David Dziurzynski / Derek Grant - I was really hoping one or two of these guys would break out and prove to be a good option as a physical 4th line energy player. I guess I still kinda believe Cowick might do it....

Cory Conacher - Hmmmm.... didn't we rate him as our 4th or 5th best prospect in our poll last summer? Or was that another dream I had?

Agree across the board. I agree that Pageau probably did have a bit of a breakout year, even though it didn't seem like it, given the inevitable let-down after his playoff heroics. We sure thought we'd sing that song a few more times this year. But he was an offence first guy in the CHL obviously, and it will be interesting to see whether he potentially emerge as something more than a dangerous utility/checking center.

And had a good chuckle over Prince. Nice one. :D

Othello*

I hope the Prince rumours were a bunch of bs. Still my favourite prospect

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah I would love to see Prince suit up for the Senators

Always nice to be able to get a 67's on to the Senators!

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I hope the Prince rumours were a bunch of bs. Still my favourite prospect

Samesies. He was in the running for a roster spot along with Conacher and Stone, and I remember both Murray and MacLean pointing out his good play in training camp.

Puempel may have passed him in the depth chart though. I hope Michalek isn't back so that one of those two get a chance.

WhiteLight*

Now that Hoffman seems to have an NHL spot (for now), Prince is the next winger in line imo. Puempel may have an edge for a top 6 role, but prospects usually work their way up. Prince can play in the bottom 6; nice two-way player.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Now that Hoffman seems to have an NHL spot (for now), Prince is the next winger in line imo. Puempel may have an edge for a top 6 role, but prospects usually work their way up. Prince can play in the bottom 6; nice two-way player.

Puempel played bottom 6 in Bingo for a good while and made big strides in his defensive game, and is the more physical/bigger of the two. What makes you think that Puempel couldn't play in the bottom six? Richards seems to praise his work ethic and eagerness to learn/improve.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Puempel played bottom 6 in Bingo for a good while and made big strides in his defensive game, and is the more physical/bigger of the two. What makes you think that Puempel couldn't play in the bottom six? Richards seems to praise his work ethic and eagerness to learn/improve.

prince was a +20? vs. puempel's -10? big difference. i'd rather have the defensively responsible guy come up and then work on his offence over the offensive guy and watch him struggle with his defensive game.

most important to get the defensive side working first in the ahl. prince/schneider should be first in line.

WhiteLight*

Maybe he improved, but that doesn't mean his defensive game and physical game are NHL caliber. Prince is still a far superior defensive player. Puempel is a shooter and scorer; he can't do much of that in the bottom 6 and his skills would be wasted.

Prince may not be ultra physical, but has nice lower body strength, tenacity and defensive instincts, which makes him better suited to play in the bottom 6.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
prince was a +20? vs. puempel's -10? big difference. i'd rather have the defensively responsible guy come up and then work on his offence over the offensive guy and watch him struggle with his defensive game.

most important to get the defensive side working first in the ahl. prince/schneider should be first in line.

I feel that the exact opposite is more important.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If it has I missed it. Thanks for the update.

I hope Dunn makes the NHL. Seems like one of those guys you love to have on your team but hate to play against.

Has he gotten any bigger this season. He seemed pretty small when he was drafted to fill that agitator role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad