Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2016-2017 | Part IV

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Everything I've read and seen (albeit limited viewings) tells me that Formenton will be our number 1 or 2 prospect entering next season. This is assuming that White and Chabot have graduated.

Formenton's combo of frame, speed and skill gives him high end upside, IMO.

Formenton is basically a worse version of Zachary Senyshyn right now. I expect him to follow the same OHL career trajectory as him at this point. He won't be better than Chlapik.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
So....what kept this Formenton kid from being a first rounder? Simply being buried on a deep team, or are there flaws to his game not shown in that video?

Some knocks on him:

- Rail-thin, gets physically dominated in one-on-one matchups. Has been listed as 157lbs as recently as May 26.
- Relies on teammates to get goal-scoring opportunities
- Solid but safe playmaker
- Not a particularly great puck-handler
- Gives up a lot of strength on his shot
- Not a particularly lethal release
- Seemed lost for stretches during the season
- Didn't score at all in the playoffs

The points coloured red are the only things I don't really think he can change. Obviously he can work on those areas, but he will simply never shoot like Hoffman nor will he ever pass or puckhandle like Spezza.

The other points, however, are either past issues or are things that can be rectified. Besides, other than his (lack of) ability to engage physically, his other skills (shot, puck-handling) still appear to trend to ~ the NHL average level.

That all said, there was murmur even before the draft that he could be a potential steal of this draft. Some made the comparison of Christian Dvorak (not based on style, but on potential post-draft explosion). We will see. I think he could be a 2nd line player but we will see. Could just be another fringe guy.

EDIT - This is a pretty spot-on comparison:

Formenton is basically a worse version of Zachary Senyshyn right now.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Some knocks on him:

- Rail-thin, gets physically dominated in one-on-one matchups. Has been listed as 157lbs as recently as May 26.
- Relies on teammates to get goal-scoring opportunities
- Solid but safe playmaker
- Not a particularly great puck-handler
- Gives up a lot of strength on his shot
- Not a particularly lethal release
- Seemed lost for stretches during the season
- Didn't score at all in the playoffs

The points coloured red are the only things I don't really think he can change. Obviously he can work on those areas, but he will simply never shoot like Hoffman nor will he ever pass or puckhandle like Spezza.

The other points, however, are either past issues or are things that can be rectified. Besides, other than his (lack of) ability to engage physically, his other skills (shot, puck-handling) still appear to trend to ~ the NHL average level.

That all said, there was murmur even before the draft that he could be a potential steal of this draft. Some made the comparison of Christian Dvorak (not based on style, but on potential post-draft explosion). We will see. I think he could be a 2nd line player but we will see. Could just be another fringe guy.

EDIT - This is a pretty spot-on comparison:

So....a lot to work on. I guess the best bet is forget about the kid for a few years, let him develop at his own pace, and see what we have when he's around 21-22 then. Best thing for him would be to keep our expectations and hype in check for awhile.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
So....a lot to work on. I guess the best bet is forget about the kid for a few years, let him develop at his own pace, and see what we have when he's around 21-22 then. Best thing for him would be to keep our expectations and hype in check for awhile.

Yeah, the nice thing about Formenton is not just that he has upside but that he seems like a guy with the tools to make it as a useful player some way or the other. He has been called the best skater in the draft, but he was also the youngest player in the draft. He also has grown from 5"5 to ~6"3 in the past two years or something wild like that, so he is a total beanstalk.

In a way he reminds me of Nick Paul - both good skaters, both very tall. One key difference in, Paul was always a pretty thick boy whereas Formenton is a lot frailer currently - but is also a significantly better skater. I think we can expect Formenton to follow a similar trajectory to the NHL to Paul's. His speed should give him more upside once he gets there, though.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, the nice thing about Formenton is not just that he has upside but that he seems like a guy with the tools to make it as a useful player some way or the other. He has been called the best skater in the draft, but he was also the youngest player in the draft. He also has grown from 5"5 to ~6"3 in the past two years or something wild like that, so he is a total beanstalk.

In a way he reminds me of Nick Paul - both good skaters, both very tall. One key difference in, Paul was always a pretty thick boy whereas Formenton is a lot frailer currently - but is also a significantly better skater. I think we can expect Formenton to follow a similar trajectory to the NHL to Paul's. His speed should give him more upside once he gets there, though.

The skating part....is it the mechanics making him quick, or his lack of weight? If it's mechanics, then we can expect him to retain (or improve) his speed with more muscle.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Formenton is a very nice pick, who will almost assuredly improve his stock this year.

He wil not, barring a gigantic jump, be one of our top 2 prospects.

I'm expecting 60-70 points from him in the OHL this year

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Formenton is a very nice pick, who will almost assuredly improve his stock this year.

He wil not, barring a gigantic jump, be one of our top 2 prospects.

I'm expecting 60-70 points from him in the OHL this year

You know more about prospects than I do. I'd think Brown would have to be #1 if Chabot and White are off the list. If he's not then either something went really wrong in his season or something went incredibly massively right with someone else. Chlappy's gotta be high up there, too, I'd think.

Out of curiosity, though, who else do you have ahead of Formenton?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You know more about prospects than I do. I'd think Brown would have to be #1 if Chabot and White are off the list. If he's not then either something went really wrong in his season or something went incredibly massively right with someone else. Chlappy's gotta be high up there, too, I'd think.

Out of curiosity, though, who else do you have ahead of Formenton?

As of right now, not counting Chabot/White:

Brown
Chlapik
Jaros

For sure. I'm expecting a big year from Perron as well.

In my completely too early, non professional opinion on our prospect list at the start of the 2018-19 season:

1. Brown
2. Chlapik
3. Jaros
4. Perron
5. Harpur
6. Bowers/Formenton
7. Bowers/Formenton

I think our "top" list would look something like that.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Not sure if its been posted - this video really displays Formentons touch around the net.

I like the pick but don't see too much impressive stuff in there. Will be interested to see what kind of role he gets to play this yr and how much time he gets.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Brown
Chlapik
Jaros

In my completely too early, non professional opinion on our prospect list at the start of the 2018-19 season:

1. Brown
2. Chlapik
3. Jaros
4. Perron
5. Harpur
6. Bowers/Formenton
7. Bowers/Formenton

This looks reasonable to me, although Englund must be considered as possibly # 6/7/8 too.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

Brown
Chlapik
Jaros

1. Brown
2. Chlapik
3. Jaros
4. Perron
5. Harpur
6. Bowers/Formenton
7. Bowers/Formenton

I think its pretty clear Bowers is a clear step ahead of Formenton at this point. Looking at draft position since no hockey has been played since they were drafted..

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think its pretty clear Bowers is a clear step ahead of Formenton at this point. Looking at draft position since no hockey has been played since they were drafted..

I know, hence why I'm predicting the ranking at the start of NEXT season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I am hoping both Bowers and Formenton take a big step this year.

Formenton was a very good pick where we got him imo. He is a week or so a way from being eligible for the 2018 draft , he's a late bloomer. I like what I've seen from him so far.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This looks reasonable to me, although Englund must be considered as possibly # 6/7/8 too.

Agreee on Englund, if Paul is already be on the team as well & it wouldn't surprise me to see Harpur on the team soon too. I also like Hogberg & Batherson to be in the top ten.

I am hoping both Bowers and Formenton take a big step this year.

Formenton was a very good pick where we got him imo. He is a week or so a way from being eligible for the 2018 draft , he's a late bloomer. I like what I've seen from him so far.

My darkhorse is Batherson to take a huge step forward but I like those two as well. That could actually be a pretty good line someday. Formenton - Bowers - Batherson.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I think Perron makes gains this year.

Who will struggle? Now that is a tough question. I really can't think of a guy that will fall back, but you can bet there will be.

Last year Brown and Perron both dropped, but I think both will rebound. Chapik dropped and rebounded in the last 2.

I even think Gagne shows better this year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Agreee on Englund, if Paul is already be on the team as well & it wouldn't surprise me to see Harpur on the team soon too. I also like Hogberg & Batherson to be in the top ten.

My darkhorse is Batherson to take a huge step forward but I like those two as well. That could actually be a pretty good line someday. Formenton - Bowers - Batherson.

I for got about Paul, Hogberg and Batherson. They are in or near the top 10 too. I think we need another player whose last name starts with a B.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I for got about Paul, Hogberg and Batherson. They are in or near the top 10 too. I think we need another player whose last name starts with a B.

Does Bailey, Blunden, Burgdoerfer or Beaudoin work for you? Bailargeon is gone I think. :laugh:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Bailey signed a PTO with the Islanders..............

Hey Zeke, nice to hear from you mate. Good point, I forgot about that, don't the Isles have two Baileys now? Speaking of Baileys my coffee could use a double shot. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad