Pre-Game Talk: Senators at Rangers: Fan Appreciation Night

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I would have loved it if the Canes won the President's Trophy. Think of all of the "purist's" heads exploding when a team in a non-traditional, non-deserving market shows the league how it's done in the regular season. And then go on to win The Cup.

You do that by making it to the Cup Finals and winning it all. Regular season trophies are fun but also not that essential.

Reactions: Tryamw

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Still like to win tomorrows game and have home ice over any western team especially Dallas who could very well come out of the west. Not sure the canes record in Dallas but seems they never win their I could be wrong though

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'm being somewhat facetious about the President's Trophy thing. In some ways, though, it can add to the pressure and expectations that are already on this team.
Probably looks similar from any position coming into the playoffs, but only 1 team wins, 2 make the SCF, 4 make conf final, so odds are against any individual team

1713232799498.png

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I think the Presidents Trophy is seriously underrated. That's a hard trophy to win. I like the way football leagues do it; there are multiple trophies, and thus multiple ways to proclaim a successful season. The Cup obviously has the history, but I'd love to see a Presidents Trophy banner hanging.

Ended up coming down to that one 1-0 NYR game. So there you go. Game of inches.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Probably looks similar from any position coming into the playoffs, but only 1 team wins, 2 make the SCF, 4 make conf final, so odds are against any individual team

View attachment 852488
I mean, people have done actual statistical breakdowns in the past and the President's Trophy winner wins the cup at a higher rate than any other seed. If you're doing PT winner versus the field, the field does win, but based on historical results, finishing as the best team gives you the best individual odds of any of the 16 playoff teams to win the Cup.

It's a seriously underrated award that truly deserves real respect, but doesn't get it because occasionally the winners flame out in the 1st round- just like any other playoff team. The curse is a stupid narrative that needs to die.

But whatever. It's a near certainty that we'll face them in the 2nd round. We'll deal with them then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad