GDT: Senators at Oilers - 10PM - CBC/TVA - 97 and 7 - Two Big C's and Little Ceci

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Do you not see the Oiler standing in Forsberg's face in the picture. Kelly screen was not an issue.

Seems to me the oiler right in front of Forsberg was more responsible for screening him
He needs to change his name to Stevie Wonder. LOL.

We were bad last year but Tkachuk and Stutzle were at least really dynamic, now they look like a shell of their last season selves.
I haven't done a deep dive, but our goal production seems to have dropped significantly.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Just couldn't score. They looked pretty good that game, tough loss.

Man...

Games where the goaltending is astounding (.935 tonight) we just generate no offense...

When the offense is clicking, the goaltending is swiss cheese.
Another game where we scored only one goal. We limited them to just 3 goals which is not bad against the Oilers. Our top scorers haven't been producing. We didn't even capitalize on that double minor.

Reactions: Dionysus

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Thats on the players not Jacques ... The disconnect is they are being asked to play differently than they are used to.,
The bottom lineup guys don't have the same issues they just lack depth.
Yes, the 4th line has been playing well and already play the style of game Martin is trying to instill. Our top half of the roster players are having difficulties making the adjustment. They aren't used to it.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021

Bobby's right, and with Pinto/Joseph coming back that changes the bottom six dynamic for the better.

There's still fundamental flaws in our core. 1) Our defense is too soft, 2) Some of our players lack tenacity (Chabot, Norris), 3) We lack two-way forwards. We need that Mike Fisher type forward that can shadow and shutdown elite talent.
LOL. You're saying the opposite of what Ryan said. Ryan said the top 6 need an infusion, and you are talking about the bottom six.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
LOL. You're saying the opposite of what Ryan said. Ryan said the top 6 need an infusion, and you are talking about the bottom six.
I can read, I was adding to what he said (mainly about the 10 games).

Very weird post.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Looking at this core perform and looking at our cap table I’m convinced Pierre Dorion is the antichrist

I spent the last 7 years deriding GMPD and was constantly told I was negative, didn't know hockey, that he wouldn't be a GM if he wasn't good at the job, blah, blah, blah. Not happy to be right, but it was so glaringly obvious I don't know why so many people had blinders on.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I can read, I was adding to what he said (mainly about the 10 games).

Very weird post.
I can read too. If you said something like putting Joseph on one of the top 2 lines you would be "adding" to what Bobby Ryan said. But, you were talking about the bottom six again and have been slagging them (4th line, Kelly) throughout this thread.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Since we are not likely to have a significant roster shakeup until the deadline .. Maybe we need an internal one.
One that sends a message to some of the underperforming players .

• I realize this is a big departure. I like the way Greig and Kelly play together .. they need a hard nosed capable winger to play with them and they need an uptick in icetime... Tkachuk fits the bill
  • Joseph can bring speed and energy to help Stutzle and Giroux get to pucks
  • I like Smejkal's possession game and he is responsible defensively .. I pair him up with Pinto and add Tarasenko to help with the scoring (theoretically)
  • The 4th Line Boys are going to be asked to play with energy and play physical , finishing every check .. and their icetime will be 10 or less
  • Kublik comes out but can replace anyone not giving it 100 so he should get in the lineup quickly
  • Change up the PPs ; Norris hasn't offered much parking himself in his office and flubbing pucks and not contributing to recoveries
  • I am not sayiing I don't like the players on the contrary I want to see them get their heads on straight and lose the expectations
  • Something has to change .. And a message has to be sent
Shake up the lines; F*** the egos and the comfort zone

Tkachuk Greig Kelly
Joseph Stutzle Giroux
Smejkal Pinto Tarasenko
MacKewen Norris Batherson
Kubalik

PP 1
Tkachuk Stutzle Giroux
Greig Sanderson/Chychrun

PP2
Batherson Pinto Tarasenko
Chabot Chychrun

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I can read too. If you said something like putting Joseph on one of the top 2 lines you would be "adding" to what Bobby Ryan said. But, you were talking about the bottom six again and have been slagging them (4th line, Kelly) throughout this thread.

I want to see what the team looks like after 10 games like Bobby said, including the bottom six dynamic with the inclusion of Pinto and Joseph. That's what I meant.

I have no problems with Kelly, I just didn't like him not blocking a shot on ONE play during the game. He's been great since the coaching change. I have thought for a long time that a team has no place for both Kastelic and Kelly due to the black hole in talent it creates in the bottom six, but Kelly has claimed a permanent spot on the 4th line if his play continues.

There's absolutely nothing controversial about any of the above. Considering the state of the team, it's absolutely fair to throw out criticism.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What a Croc of shit. Pre season. Your mentioning Chabot with a bunch of names where he doesn't belong.

You are what your record says you are and our record says we're not very good. The NHL wanted parity. The NHL got parity. As a result, some nights we beat teams like the Rangers or the Leafs. But over a season, we are what that W/L says we are and right now it says we're not good..

Sigh. The guys that were named are simply some of the guys ranked above Chabot in D-men PPG since his 21 y/o season but surely it was really hard to understand, eh? That you believe he doesn't belong or not, this is still a FACT regarding D-men PPG since 2018-19. All it means is that the production has been there, it doesn't mean that I think he is as impactful as a guy like Hedman, for example.

I also never said Sens were a good team, au contraire. Again is it just an inability to read or intellectual dishonesty? I will ask you to pay more attention before quoting me, if not you're just wasting bandwidth and my time.

I have repeatedly said that as a team we are much much less than the sum of its parts and now I can even say that we are by far the worst team in the NHL in relation to the overall talent. It is a TEAM game and not just a collection of individuals together. I said multiple other things before the season that got the usual "resistance", like that the Habs rebuild was going much much better than ours, for example. Anyone who has paid any attention knows that I have heavily criticized this rebuild, management and coaching since 2020-21 and even said we wouldn't reach our potential with the people in place and unfortunately, I was right.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I find it hard to believe he's top 17 in PPG. But eh, I'm not a big stats person. I honestly would prefer to win with Chabot, but he doesn't seem like the type of player who has that extra gear, that extra jam that our team needs to get a Stanley Cup. He isn't what I would consider a playoff performer. He reminds me a lot of Redden honestly. I didn't find Redden to be that playoff monster.

22 most points among D-men since 2018-19, 23rd most ES points, 17th in PPG... like Karlsson struggles in certain parts of defense but excels in others

As for talking about the Stanley Cup, I'll take starting to make the playoffs ONCE and then regularly then we'll see lol

Redden comparison is not bad too. The thing is you need complementary players. Chabot needs a Brandon Carlo.

Forsberg's season in a nutshell. All his good play is undone by letting in a backbreaker when the game is still absolutely within reach at 1-0.

It is true but that's why a team to bring more offensive and defensive support to the goalie. It is very HIGH pressure knowing you can't make a single mistake and you'll have to make miracles to give your team a chance to win.

Scoring chances were 43-29 for the Oilers (and 22-12 in High Danger Chances)

NST.com says that among 59 goals who have played at least 500 ES minutes, Forsberg and Korpisalo rank in the middle (30th and 31st) in HDSV%

Our special units (PP and PK) are absolutely terrible with the PK being dead last. It certainly doesn't help the goalies at all.

All that said, like the rest of the team, goalies have been very inconsistent

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
But he gets minutes like very few, very easy minutes at that. And he does not play at a defensive level of the others.

Over the last 5 years he is 47th in P/60 among D men. Even strength he is 67th. Last 4 seasons he has only 20% more P/60 even strength than Cody Ceci let that sink in. Thats simply not nearly good enough for what he is paid and the minutes he gets.

I don't disagree, Chabot like the rest of his teammates need to improve his play but like them all, he has proven he can be good. They are almost all underperforming right now.

Regarding Ceci, very underrated on this board. He has been really fine since his season in Pittsburgh, it FIXED him. Like if you loan any of our players to a winning organization (ex Boston), they would all be "fixed" quite fast... until they'd come back here and started being infected again. Need to build that culture. The changes madde under Andlauer are promising at least

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I spent the last 7 years deriding GMPD and was constantly told I was negative, didn't know hockey, that he wouldn't be a GM if he wasn't good at the job, blah, blah, blah. Not happy to be right, but it was so glaringly obvious I don't know why so many people had blinders on.
Our core is still pretty young though. I think it's too soon to pass judgment here.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Bobby's right, and with Pinto/Joseph coming back that changes the bottom six dynamic for the better.

There's still fundamental flaws in our core. 1) Our defense is too soft, 2) Some of our players lack tenacity (Chabot, Norris), 3) We lack two-way forwards. We need that Mike Fisher type forward that can shadow and shutdown elite talent.

I want to see what the team looks like after 10 games like Bobby said, including the bottom six dynamic with the inclusion of Pinto and Joseph. That's what I meant.

I have no problems with Kelly, I just didn't like him not blocking a shot on ONE play during the game. He's been great since the coaching change. I have thought for a long time that a team has no place for both Kastelic and Kelly due to the black hole in talent it creates in the bottom six, but Kelly has claimed a permanent spot on the 4th line if his play continues.

There's absolutely nothing controversial about any of the above. Considering the state of the team, it's absolutely fair to throw out criticism.
I copied the post you made. You said nothing about waiting 10 games. You DID talk about the "bottom six" yet again. You were slagging Kelly for not blocking a shot and screening the goalie earlier in this thread. Yet, the goal in question was a deflection by Hyman.

You're moving the goal posts, changing the subject and making stuff up now. You are in fact talking about Kelly again in the 2nd paragraph of the post directly above which is consistent with what you've been saying throughout this thread. It's pretty obvious that what you said was the opposite of what Bobby Ryan's tweet said. LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
He doesn’t give it away in the blue line nearly as much as Sandy. He dishes is quickly and accurately under pressure. When he has time and space, he slows it down too much.
Sandy is an above average to very good defender. Chabot is an average to below average defender.

Reactions: Alex1234

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I copied the post you made. You said nothing about waiting 10 games. You DID talk about the "bottom six" yet again. You were slagging Kelly for not blocking a shot and screening the goalie earlier in this thread. Yet, the goal in question was a deflection by Hyman.

You're moving the goal posts, changing the subject and making stuff up now. You are in fact talking about Kelly again in the 2nd paragraph of the post directly above which is consistent with what you've been saying throughout this thread. It's pretty obvious that what you said was the opposite of what Bobby Ryan's tweet said. LOL.

You're correct, I did say nothing about waiting 10 games, I simply said Bobby is right. However I was referring to waiting to see the 10 games the entire time. I'm pretty sure I'm qualified to explain the meaning in my own posts, not you.

The bottom six is what I wanted to see shake out after the 10 games with Joseph + Pinto returning, which is what I stated in the OP. You're on a weird witch hunt. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove? This is a very pointless argument and a waste of time.

Lastly, yes Hyman ended up deflecting the goal in question. The point remains that Kelly still contributed with the screening by failing to block the shot 3m in front of Bouchard. It was more of a frustration in the moment that comes out in a GDT. Ultimately, the primary error was on the failed clear earlier.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
kestelic was never that good he plays cause he has size but man he provides very little. If you replace him with a more vet player who can take draws we are better off

h2

Mar 26, 2002
kestelic was never that good he plays cause he has size but man he provides very little. If you replace him with a more vet player who can take draws we are better off

He's an absolute force when he decides to play physically, it just doesn't happen often enough. Very frustrating .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad