Rumor: Senators Are Linked To Juuse Saros Talks

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Expecting Nashville to take on Korpisalo is unrealistic and increases the return they would seek.

I can see something like this working if Juice actually wants to come here.

Chychrun - a young D piece with similar term to Saros.
Forsberg - A decent back up and veteran and helps the sens a lil financially.
2nd rounder

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Saros almost certainly isn't going to want to extend here and Nashville isn't going to take on Korpisalo in the deal without a massive overpayment.

Lot of wishful thinking in this thread.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
We're stuck with Korpisalo. What it comes down to is what do Andlauer and Staois want to do?

Keep trying to see if he can be that #1 guy and risk team success by not continuing to try and secure a #1 goalie?
Keep him up and deal with $4M in dead cap for a backup goalie? Not the end of the world.
Buy him out? Eat a much lower cap hit for 8 years or whatever it is? And live with that smaller dead cap space?
Bury him in the minors because he's for sure clearing waivers?

We don't have great options here. I think whatever happens you have to look at cycling through goaltenders even if you want to give Korpisalo more chances. You need a backup plan because this season we have seen what happens when you go ride or die with Korpisalo. There has to be competition for the top job, credible competition. And if Korpisalo wins out you keep competition around as your backup plan.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Not happening without trading Greig/Pinto.

Saros has 1 year left after this season.

Players with that term never get full value. Unless we make something closer to a hockey trade, the price for Saros will probably be a 1st, a 2nd round tier prospect, and one or two smaller pieces.

If the Senators want to move on from Norris, and an extension is agreed to as part of the deal, Norris for Saros makes sense as the base of a deal. Nashville needs a center and has Askarov, Ottawa needs a goalie and has Stutzle/Greig/Pinto. Also, a Saros extension will be expensive so moving out Norris makes it cap in/out.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They would have Askarov for when his not hot

The problem here , we have two so so goaltending
It's an optimistic view, but I don't think Korpisalo can be considered as anything but a major cap dump in any deal. He carries a ton of negative value.

Just to dump Korpisalo could take the equivalent of what it would cost to acquire Saros.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
It's an optimistic view, but I don't think Korpisalo can be considered as anything but a major cap dump in any deal. He carries a ton of negative value.

Just to dump Korpisalo could take the equivalent of what it would cost to acquire Saros.
You exaggerating a lot here. Korpi not that bad and 4m for the coming years with the cap increasing. This is nothing

• Haha
Reactions: Alex1234

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Saros almost certainly isn't going to want to extend here and Nashville isn't going to take on Korpisalo in the deal without a massive overpayment.

I mean, Dorion said a lot of goalies through trade werent looking to waive their NTCs to come to Ottawa. BUT. We also gotta remember we aren't that 2 anymore were your worried what will your friends think. Ottawa is more of a 6 now, if you need a place to settle down and your options are somewhat limited

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We are pretty deep in the process of fixing team defense are we not? Especially if Martin stays behind the bench an extra season.

If we make a move to bring in a defensive dman in the summer, and we continue to improve in leaps and bounds as we have been doing, I don't see why we wouldn't bring in a true #1, top-ten goalie.

Of course the question now is what are we willing to part with?

Right side D is still a major liability, and we have constant blueline injuries (particularly with Chabot and Zub lately).

Not to mention, a lot of our forwards still have to learn how to be responsible consistently on both ends of the ice.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

I agree that it is unlikely that he would want to sign here in normal terms. I think it is possible that if they offered him a buyout proof contract with a NMC, he would sign here.

He is coming off of a bad season. Goaltenders are more prone to major shifts in their level of play than skaters. If the Senators put 8x8 with a NMC and buyout proof signing bonuses on the table, he would have to really hate Ottawa to not want to sign here. It's a similar dynamic to Huberdeau, where nobody wants to play in Calgary, but they offered him franchise winger money and terms a year early, and he wasn't going to pull a Klingberg and risk losing that.

Nashville aren't taking Korpisalo. The trade that makes sense is Norris for Saros. Nashville needs a young top center and they are impossible to get. They have O'Reilly to help insulate Norris, but otherwise Norris would have a chance to be the top C in Nashville. Moving Norris opens up the 8M to give Saros the superstar goalie extension that he might sign regardless of the standing Ottawa has with players.

They could bake in a Forsberg for Glass swap to make the depth charts flow better for both sides. They both have similar money, and neither have much value. Glass is struggling.

That would give the Senators Saros as their starter, with Korpisalo and Sogaard fighting for the backup spot. Korpisalo is a sunk-cost. Unless they badly need short-term cap space, I don't see them buying him out this summer because that introduces 8 years of dead cap. They will hold on to him as the backup for a year or two, because he might play better in that role, or a situation might arise organically where they can move Korpisalo as a moving part in a bigger trade when he has less term remaining.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Saaros is one of the few goalies worth trading loads of assets for, but we don't have many assets lol.

We can't afford to trade this years 1st, Greig, or Pinto.

The best we can offer the Preds is Boston/Detroits 1st or next years top 10 protected 1st, Kleven, Brannstrom and a depth guy like Kastelic (Trotz loves these types of guys).

Just don't see having the goods to get Saaros. Not to mention having to extend him lol

Reactions: Neil Patrick Harris

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He was the guy I wanted us to go full throttle on last year and offer what we gave for Chychrun for him.

He's the real deal and entering his goalie prime. I would unquestionably go after him.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Not Pinto, Greig our the 2024 first.

Korpisalo (salary purposes), Sogaard/Merilainen, Boston's 1st, Jarventie (+ Sokolov and/or Thomson if they want them)

or

Chychrun + Korpisalo + Boston's 1st for Saros + Carrier

No way I'd pay a king's ransom for a goalie. Next year you have Saros and Forsberg and the year after Saros and Sogaard
We probably need to add a 2nd or a 1st to the first offer if we are getting them to take korpisolo

Reactions: Xspyrit

talightf52

Dec 21, 2019
Would love to see this happen. Of course our defense could be better, but it'd be nice to actually have some pride in our goaltending. Forsberg and Korpisalo aren't it and I don't think Soggard or any of our other prospects are going to be anything but fringe NHLers at best.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Saaros is one of the few goalies worth trading loads of assets for, but we don't have many assets lol.

We can't afford to trade this years 1st, Greig, or Pinto.

The best we can offer the Preds is Boston/Detroits 1st or next years top 10 protected 1st, Kleven, Brannstrom and a depth guy like Kastelic (Trotz loves these types of guys).

Just don't see having the goods to get Saaros. Not to mention having to extend him lol
This. If Greig, Pinto, and our 1st aren't on the table, we don't have the assets to get this done. And you absolutely don't make this trade if you aren't very certain that Saros is re-upping here.

I'd love to see it; it'd solve our goaltending question for pretty much the next decade, but I can't see a path to it without giving up at least one hefty piece.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Yes, let's ruin yet another goaltender in this league.

Can we fix the overall team defense before we spend a fortune in assets for yet another goalie?
The Senators haven't had a goaltender this calibre since Hasek in 2005-6. He's worth going after.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Who says? Players know what's going on here better than the fans. They see the sh*t show the goaltending is and that a great goaltender can immediately add 5 wins or more to this team as it is. The Senators goaltending is gawd awful to the point where their plus 33 goals above expected almost equals the combined total of the next 3 worst teams below them. They are in another universe bad.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We're stuck with Korpisalo. What it comes down to is what do Andlauer and Staois want to do?

Keep trying to see if he can be that #1 guy and risk team success by not continuing to try and secure a #1 goalie?
Keep him up and deal with $4M in dead cap for a backup goalie? Not the end of the world.
Buy him out? Eat a much lower cap hit for 8 years or whatever it is? And live with that smaller dead cap space?
Bury him in the minors because he's for sure clearing waivers?

We don't have great options here. I think whatever happens you have to look at cycling through goaltenders even if you want to give Korpisalo more chances. You need a backup plan because this season we have seen what happens when you go ride or die with Korpisalo. There has to be competition for the top job, credible competition. And if Korpisalo wins out you keep competition around as your backup plan.
Buying out Korpisalo is not that expensive at $1.333M per year for 8 years, but is certainly a waste of budget and cap dollars and we would still need to pay a top goaltender.

Cost Calculations​

BUYOUT DATEBASE SALARY REMAININGS.BONUS REMAININGYEARS REMAININGBUYOUT LENGTHAGEBUYOUT RATIOTOTAL COSTTOTAL SAVINGSANNUAL COST
Jun. 15, 2024$16,000,000$048302/3$10,666,667$5,333,333$1,333,333

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Buying out Korpisalo is not that expensive at $1.333M per year for 8 years, but is certainly a waste of budget and cap dollars and we would still need to pay a top goaltender.

Cost Calculations​

BUYOUT DATEBASE SALARY REMAININGS.BONUS REMAININGYEARS REMAININGBUYOUT LENGTHAGEBUYOUT RATIOTOTAL COSTTOTAL SAVINGSANNUAL COST
Jun. 15, 2024$16,000,000$048302/3$10,666,667$5,333,333$1,333,333
Hahaha you scared me Cosmix. You uploaded this thread and I was thinking we have acquired Saros

• Haha
Reactions: Cosmix

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Jaros wants to get PAID, unless we shedding significant salary to extend him, not sure how we get him.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Yeah he apparently wants the Sorokin contract. 8 years, 8 million is a lot, not sure I wanna pay a goalie that much for that long, as good as he is.
Imagine we pay that type of contract for him to only have him turn into a sieve here because it seems like any goaltender the Sens put in net plays like shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad