GDT: Semifinal - May 19 - Canada vs Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Thanks for the laugh.

And the problems with Canada this year are obvious: defense can't move the puck, goalies can't stop a puck. This was evident both on paper from the beginning and in practice, at least as far as I could tell from the couple of games I watched. No amount of effort is gonna get this defensive group to make a decent outlet pass, and that handicaps the forwards.

This team was a clone of the 17-18 Oilers.

Now Switzerland didn't play their hearts out for 60 minutes. They just sat on the ice, closed their eyes and hoped for the best. But of course...

Reactions: torero

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Thanks for the laugh.

And the problems with Canada this year are obvious: defense can't move the puck, goalies can't stop a puck. This was evident both on paper from the beginning and in practice, at least as far as I could tell from the couple of games I watched. No amount of effort is gonna get this defensive group to make a decent outlet pass, and that handicaps the forwards.

This team was a clone of the 17-18 Oilers.
Whatever our problems were that does not take a thing away from how well the Swiss played today.

Sure, we put the pressure on them in the 3rd and had them on the ropes at times but they never stopped fighting like rabid dogs out there even in the face of that. They were still blocking shots like all get go, battling like crazy when there were puck scrambles in front of their net under pressure, still engaging our guys who had the puck with physical play.

In short....................they wanted it more and it showed for 60 minutes even when they did get the screws put to them.

It's called good f***in hockey.......................and they played it all game long. I respect that.

we didn't, if we had....................maybe we would be moving on, but we didn't and they did and they deserve to be playing sweden for gold tomorrow.

i don't sugarcoat things when it comes to games involving Team Canada just to put salve on my ego, I can't afford to, only the truth matters because when you can't confront the truth you can't correct anything and you can't improve......................and then you keep coming up short, that's the bottom line.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
A bit unfortunate not to go up against our big rival Canada in the final, I had been looking forward to that game. We didn´t even get to play against our brothers in Finland this tourny..
Ah well, Switzerland is a worthy opponent with perhaps their best team ever. Will probably be a tight game!

In fact we already played and lost to Sweden
But in this game , ALL succeeded to the Swedes. ALL. All rebounds, All fights for the puck along the border, All puck luck, They really had ALL in their favor. To a ridiculous and unsustainable point. We had a pretty good game against them , but as said All was in their favor. And they were playing like , closing their eyes and the passes would arrive with millimeter precision. It was incredible. When you have it going ... . It is truly Impressive.

So if we are back to a normally equilibrated puck bouncing luck game, we have our chances. (like against Canada ... they are better ... but we can !.)

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
As a canadian i want to congratulate switzerland on their win, here in canada we need to realize that we have a hard time with the Swiss, in vancouver in 2010 we needed a shootout to beat them and that was best on best, in Torino in 2006 again best on best they beat us 2-0, last year championship in germany they beat us again in overtime. yes switzerland is now a top hockey nation, they can beat any country on any given day. they are very fast, talented players and their goaltending is always top notch. the swiss are for real. thers no denying it.

The Swiss have played Canada very tight for the entirety of this current decade with the exception of 1 blowout victory for Canada. I don't exactly know why that is but its true. Canada will be back though, no doubt about it.

2010 OG - Canada 3, Switzerland 2 S/O
2010 IIHF WC - Canada 1, Switzerland 4
2011 IIHF WC - Canada 4, Switzerland 3 OT
2012 IIHF WC - Canada 3, Switzerland 2
2013 IIHF WC - Canada 2, Switzerland 3 S/O
2015 IIHF WC - Canada 7, Switzerland 2
2017 IIHF WC - Canada 2, Switzerland 3 OT
2018 IIHF WC - Canada 2, Switzerland 3

That's 8 meetings and precisely 4 wins a piece in this decade. Now while this may be a nice little stat for Switzerland Canada is the one that has 2 World Championships and 2 Olympic Golds to show for this decade :thumbu:

Last edited:

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
.......and this is why there's no justification for the argument of keeping 'lower level' nations out the IHWC. Latvia took Sweden to the absolute limit, and Switzerland is playing for gold.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
The Swiss have played Canada very tight for the entirety of this current decade with the exception of 1 blowout victory for Canada. I don't exactly know why that is but its true. Canada will be back though, no doubt about it.

2010 OG - Canada 3, Switzerland 2 S/O
2010 IIHF WC - Canada 1, Switzerland 4
2011 IIHF WC - Canada 4, Switzerland 3 OT
2012 IIHF WC - Canada 3, Switzerland 2
2013 IIHF WC - Canada 2, Switzerland 3 S/O
2015 IIHF WC - Canada 7, Switzerland 2
2017 IIHF WC - Canada 2, Switzerland 3 OT
2018 IIHF WC - Canada 3, Switzerland 3

That's 8 meetings and precisely 4 wins a piece in this decade. Now while this may be a nice little stat for Switzerland Canada is the one that has 2 World Championships and 2 Olympic Golds to show for this decade :thumbu:

In reality we should be considered as one of the big nations on a hockey level ... yet our losses 7-1 to Sweden or our inability to win against Germany or Danemark or France questions this belonging.
Because on a recurrent basis we beat big teams. (this 4/8 is extreme ... and i am sure not representative of the Canada-Switzerland results but out of 10 games against big nations we reliably win 2 or 3 times i would say )

AutisticGoat

Mar 9, 2018
.......and this is why there's no justification for the argument of keeping 'lower level' nations out the IHWC. Latvia took Sweden to the absolute limit, and Switzerland is playing for gold.

I think its mostly about the teams like south korea. Few less teams would be nice for the level of tournament. There is too many games in too short period. Every team needs to qualify and can drop down anyways so its same for every team.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
How come every team McDavid is on turns to crap?
McDavid? why choose him, why not ask "why does every team Darnell Nurse plays on turn to crap?", or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins?. Or why not ask "why do these two goalies suck so much?" or "why wasn't Ekblad good"? or "Why did the defense suck so much?"

Of course you choose to pick on the guy who has been picking up the bulk of the slack for this team. You conveniently ignore all the other team mates and lines and players on the team not doing their part.

Last edited:

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
The point is that you can make the ice surface as big as you want and the areas worth exploiting would remain the same size. The only way the extra space is conducive to more offensive is if defending players chased the player with the puck--but they don't, because they aren't stupid. They stay collapsed in the same place they would on any other ice surface and happily give up more perimeter shots. Meanwhile any shots/passes have a larger distance to travel and can therefore more easily be reacted to by defending sticks/opposing goaltenders.

On rush/transition plays that extra space is nullified by the fact that the offensive player has a wider lane to the net, so it's only relevant if they're hit with a stretch pass straight up the middle... which, again, isn't available, because defending players aren't stupid enough to just hang out at the boards or something; they're still covering the middle of the ice, just like they always would.

Defending in hockey is 100% a process of angling the attacker to the perimeter, no matter how big the surface is. Making the rink wider just makes that process easier.

But that's just common sense...

Unless the other team just stands infront of their own goalie without ever attacking and moving up ice - your statement is illogical.

In a 10 metre race, Usain Bolt would barely beat me.

In a 100 metre race he would obliterate me.

The longer the distance, the bigger the gap will be.

This is really basic and I'm not sure how you can deny this.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
McDavid? why choose him, why not ask "why does every team Darnell Nurse plays on turn to crap?", or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins?. Or why not ask "why do these two goalies suck so much?" or "why wasn't Ekblad good"? or "Why did the defense suck so much?"

Of course you choose to pick on the guy who has been picking up the bulk of the slack for this team. You conveniently ignore all the other team mates and lines and players on the team not doing their part.
He is the captain and the leader that is why he is chosen. It seems you don't understand what that little C thingy is his chest means or your feelings are clouding your judgement. Question, did he show up when it counts? For the first 58 minutes I don't think so. He even admits it.
https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/mcdavid-on-sf-loss-we-came-out-flat~1398388

Reactions: sipowicz

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What makes this win even more impressing is the fact that this is almost canadas a-team. Swiss was missing players such as weber, sbisa, hischier, malgin, beartshy, hiller.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
What makes this win even more impressing is the fact that this is almost canadas a-team. Swiss was missing players such as weber, sbisa, hischier, malgin, beartshy, hiller.
Come on, a team without Crosby and Stamkos and Kuemper as the goalie will never be an A team along with half the other players on team Canada that would never make it with if it was Canada's A team

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Easy now let's not go over the deep end. This most definitely was nowhere near Canada's A-Team.

Only McDavid and Ekblad would make that team for sure.
Perhaps Bailey, Barzal, Schenn, Parayko and Vlasic would be decent to good candidates.

The rest no chance and none of the goalies are even starters in the NHL (this teams major weakness). The vast majority of A-Team players couldn't be arsed going even in a year when the best couldn't go to the Olympics and Canada only got a bronze at, which is a shame to see.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, saying that this is Canada's A-team is not correct. It is a good team though. Switzerland has it's A team there, maybe 6 players are missing. Hischier of course, Sven Bärtschi, maybe Malgin, then from the Swiss league a few, Ambühl of course, Geering or Furrer on Defence and Pius Suter or Fabrice Herzog.

Switzerland started it's rise 1998 and for 15 years they started getting solid finishes and also beating big nations but they could never go further than the quarters. And now it's the second time in 5 years that they were able to go through to the final and both times it hasn't been stolen. And altough the gap between Switzerland and the Czechs before still exists, for the sport ice-hockey it's important that other nations can compete and can go to the medal round. The german finish at the Olympics was important. Let's hope that more nations can get better hockey-programs and that this Top-6-stuff will come to an end sometime. It'd help the sport.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
He is the captain and the leader that is why he is chosen. It seems you don't understand what that little C thingy is his chest means or your feelings are clouding your judgement. Question, did he show up when it counts? For the first 58 minutes I don't think so. He even admits it.
https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/mcdavid-on-sf-loss-we-came-out-flat~1398388
Why does it seem I don't know what the "C" means? oh I get it, you're just trolling which is against forum rules. The whole team was bad. He carried the team much of this tournament like a good captain. People are just looking for an excuse to hate.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018

Crosby used to face this criticism until he silenced such asinine claims with a numerous big-game performances and trophies. He's now regarded as one of the greatest clutch players and captains of all time.

McDavid is 21 years old for christ's sake and carried this team throughout the whole tourney. The man has more than twice as many points as anyone else on the team and you actually have the audacity to criticise him.

Reactions: Future GOAT

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Exactly. Who cares if Canada didn't win this year. I'd rather have smaller hockey countries stepping up and making the playing field more level. Canada is in the conversation to win every year, we are consistently a top 4 country when it comes to these tournaments. Why anybody would be salty is beyond me.

I agree but we need to be aiming higher than consistently top 4. We still supply half the players in the NHL and we want to be the best right (It's our game et cetera...) but if we keep devaluing the annual World's so much and just showing up for Bettman's frankenstein World Cup's, it's difficult to lay claim to unquestionably being the best.

It's disappointing so many Canadian players can't be arsed with the World's when most Europeans go. The NHL isn't the be all and end all when it comes to hockey.

We should be aiming for utter domination like the Kiwis do with Rugby but unfortunately too many Canadians are too bloody insular.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box

He gets pointed out because he is the best player in the world. Can't have it both ways.

None of those players you mentioned can turn a game around like he can.....this game, he didn't.

He is also the Captain.....he's going to feel some criticism. None more than from himself, I'd imagine.

When he plays and doesn't win, especially for Team Canada, he's going to be held accountable.

Reactions: sipowicz

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
He gets pointed out because he is the best player in the world. Can't have it both ways.

None of those players you mentioned can turn a game around like he can.....this game, he didn't.

He is also the Captain.....he's going to feel some criticism. None more than from himself, I'd imagine.

When he plays and doesn't win, especially for Team Canada, he's going to be held accountable.
No one player can do it all, doesn't matter how good he is. At some point the other players on the team need to be held accountable, they are all parts of the whole.. it's a team game. If McDavid had only a few points all tournament, I could see calling him out but yeah this isn't on him. I mean sure, he could have scored 30 points or 40 and put up 5 points a game and won every game for the team single handed but that's just not realistic.

The team was a dud, he wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad