GDT: Semifinal • May 13 • Finland 3, Russia 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mara

May 10, 2011
It's a common opinion in Sweden that Finns can seem a bit obsessed with Sweden sometimes. There's not even nearly as much of a taunting culture against Finland in Sweden as vice versa.

That's what happens when you lose all the time. Beating Sweden in a final is better than beating anyone else, lawl.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Just come in here to say that those refs are ridicolous, not cheering for any team in special, but man, those were some ridicolous calls today, has been this way all tournament long?

Yeah, of course, it's the WC - the refs are, well, random, some of them are legally blind. I guess it's in the rules or something, but WC refereeing is supposed to be atrocious.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Bet Ovie feels stupid for coming over now. :laugh:

No, he doesnt feel stupid! He loves his country, and is willing to sacrifice his own comforts to show up and do his best to help them try to win. He could have just as easily used the excuse "I have to let my body heal," but instead he showed up and did his best. Whatever the result, you should respect the effort!

Roamin

Jul 31, 2009
Ah, the Russians don't care about the worlds!
They just care to beat Canada. Nothing else matters. :sarcasm:

Good game Finland. I predict, Finnish Gold this year!

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
I have great respect for Ovy for always playing for Russia when he's available. Somehow he just loses most of his groove when he plays for the national team. This year he was probably injured or just tired though.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
YES... -93 and will be deafter this year... Markus Granlund did this in A-juniors.

Oh really nice I just try to imagine the atomic line M. Granlund - M. Granlund - J. Immonen playing together in best form.......

MaNNe

Sep 27, 2009
Finland
Hmm, wasn't expecting this by the least. Russia played horribly, and Finland played just awesome.. Especially Granlund that guy is going to be something else in the NHL. :handclap:

I wonder where the epic troll PeacEnforcer is right now ??? You here man? What do you think of the dirty finnish team right now?

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I have great respect for Ovy for always playing for Russia when he's available.

Indeed. Not that he's done very good or anything, but people seem to forget that he could just as well be sipping vodka on some beach right now if he wanted to.

ipel

May 10, 2011
ipel said:
Did you look their last game? I actually am little shocked how little most of you guys know about hockey.

It's not all about personal skills. The most important thing is that how your team plays as whole and what kind your playbook is how the players follow your playbook.

First i got to agree that only few players from Finland would have made to Team Russia but it doesn't matter. Russia plays unorganised hockey they do way too many fast and semi fast attacks and in modern hockey you don't stand a change with that. If Jalonen and Bykov would have same teams playing each others Jalonen's would win like 8 games from 10.

Even though Russia has superstars like Ove, Radu and Kov they play so many unorganised fast attacks that it is easy for Finland to keep them away from scoring sectors.

Finland has been dominant in their every game so far even versus Czech when they lost they were absolutely dominant though it's bad that their worst game was the last game vs Norway but if they play like they've played the previous games finland is the favorite here. Nevertheless it's going to close game but i think Finland takes it 3-2

ipel said:
Struggled? Huh, i hope you are kidding with this statement.

Sure Finland has struggled if you only watch the result.

Finland has been better in every aspect of the game than their optonents so far. They've created much more scoring places than their optonents for example. Just the fact that Finland doesnt have many natural scorers have kept the game so "equal".

Russia havent been good in this tournament and they cant change that in one night. Though they got so much personal skills in their team that all they need is just few good scoring places.

But if Vehanen plays great game and other guys keep on playing like they've played so far Finland will win.

Didn't i say so?

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
I would like to hear the opinions of PeacEnforcer and the likes who said that Finland had absolutely zero chance of winning Russia, but I guess there is zero chance I will hear them. :shakehead

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
For you Russian fans, do you think this is the end of the road for Bykov, and if so, who do you think will/should replace him?

Not a Russian fan, but I think that Bykov has been there for a too long time. Russia has been underperfoming and a new coach with new tactics could get Russia back where it belongs according to its player material.

Kigetsi

Nov 6, 2009
Finland
Just come in here to say that those refs are ridicolous, not cheering for any team in special, but man, those were some ridicolous calls today, has been this way all tournament long?

I think some of those goalie slashes were weak, but its been like that whole tournament so cant really argue about those.

Winning today feels pretty good, but at the same time im really nervous about sunday. Feels so bad to lose again to Sweden. I hate Sweden in every sport event, but i love metal music that comes from there :yo:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
It's a common opinion in Sweden that Finns can seem a bit obsessed with Sweden sometimes. There's not even nearly as much of a taunting culture against Finland in Sweden as vice versa.

That's true, it's the "lilla bror" complex that too many finns have.

I mean, when push comes to shove, there are no two countries closer than Sweden and Finland but in sports, there ain't more bitter enemies than these two. Canada-Russia? HA! It's nowhere close.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Oh really nice I just try to imagine the atomic line M. Granlund - M. Granlund - J. Immonen playing together in best form.......

Speaking of brothers, next year in the WC in Finland i want to see. M.Koivu - S.Koivu - Selanne line.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Tbh the rivalry isnt what it used to be, both finland and denmark have become passive folding to us. Only norway is still kicking and screaming thanks to their skiing. Hopefully this can give finland their spark back ;)

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Congratulations to the Finns. You outplayed the Russians in every aspect of the game. Finland controlled the puck for most of the game, and did a better job of puckhandling, passing, making plays, and especially, playing defense. The Russian team was forced to the outside, and they couldn't managed to get off many good shots around the net. You worked harder and were hungrier and tougher than the Russians today.

For you Russian fans, do you think this is the end of the road for Bykov, and if so, who do you think will/should replace him?

Thank you. You have restored my faith in the HF Russian fans. You and some others certainly deserve kudos for the ability to admit a defeat / be gracious when you win. :clap:

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Thank you. You have restored my faith in the HF Russian fans. You and some others certainly deserve kudos for the ability to admit a defeat / be gracious when you win. :clap:

To my mind there are lots of gracious and knowledgeable Russian posters here - and I can easily forgive some exceptions when Canada matches are concerned, am myself not the most balanced about Finland-Sweden games... This said, it would be quite sweet to have a couple of those more trollish ones back on this thread!

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I feel nothing but true respect to Finland, a very impressive victory.

About the old famous Sweden-Finland rivarly.

Personally I like defeating Canada better and it feels like Finland likes defeating Russia almost more than defeating Sweden?

For me nothing beats a Sweden - Canada game (except from NHL playoffs wich also is great fun).

I just love the way Canada plays hockey even though the fighting sometimes tend to be ridiculous (there are good fights though). ;-)

Russia mostly feels like a huge annoyment because they usually win and I can't stand their counter attack hockey. (Ok, they don't always play for counter attacks)

Or maybe it's just me and my personal view? ;-)

It's still a great rivarly but I really respect Finland and I love their sisu and fighting spirit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu

Prediction for the finals: Sweden - Finland: 3-2 ;-)

Hero Viktor Fasth

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd

Personally I like defeating Canada better and it feels like Finland likes defeating Russia almost more than defeating Sweden?

For me nothing beats a Sweden - Canada game (except from NHL playoffs wich also is great fun).

It's still a great rivarly but I really respect Finland and I love their sisu and fighting spirit.

Hero Viktor Fasth

Sounds like an americanized swede, wheres omark?

Mara

May 10, 2011

Hero Viktor Fasth

Nope, beating Sweden is the best for most hockey fans here. It's because we hate losing to Sweden the most, losing to Canada is like "meh, we had no chance anyway." ;)

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Nope, beating Sweden is the best for most hockey fans here. It's because we hate losing to Sweden the most, losing to Canada is like "meh, we had no chance anyway." ;)

But isn't more of a little brother complex? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad