GDT: Semi-Final | Russia Vs Canada | 6PM | TSN/NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Funny enough there is some truth to that, but I do think Russian hockey is nipping on the heels of Canadian development and it won't be too much longer before its equal and surpassed.
Honestly it’s already much closer, remember the years we were getting destroyed 7-0 in our own building, the games are tighter now and Russia even winning quite a few of them.

I think the lowest point was the ‘superseries’ of 2007 when we got absolutely embarrassed. I am 100% sure that Canada even with Laf and Dach wouldn’t have that much dominance.

Fried Tree Sap

May 12, 2016
Yeah, nobody denies Canada is the favorite today, but people saying they expect an easy outing are a bit naive
Maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on past teams, but Russia has the tendency to look very inconsistent in the round robin and quarter finals, but they always turn it up against the top teams in the medal round, especially the Canadians.

Win or loss...I'm expecting to see Russia put up a fight.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on past teams, but Russia has the tendency to look very inconsistent in the round robin and quarter finals, but they always turn it up against the top teams in the medal round, especially the Canadians.

Win or loss...I'm expecting to see Russia put up a fight.
You are correct, sir. Russia medaled more than any other nation in the last 10 years only missing out on medals once

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Finland didn’t go out hard in that one, they were much better against Sweden. Were you not worried that Czech Republic outshot Canada ?

Why would Canadian fans or the team itself be worried that the Czech Republic outshot Canada by 4 measly shots? especially when we've had a goalie that has been lights out fantastic. Final shot totals were 29-25 lol..

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
It's not fun to witness this kind slaughter in the semis. Poor Russia.

Canada should be able to send 10 teams to this tournament and settle the gold amongst themselves

This is out house!
I vaguely remember this meme. Can you remind me?

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Askarov has really impressed me. great at playing the puck. we need to be quick on the dump and chase and make sure we're tough on the forecheck... can't wait for the game. DO IT.

dm1371

May 29, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
Yeah Canada is the favorite in my books, but by no means it's going to be an easy win/game. Looking forward to an even match with both teams competing hard, best of luck to Russia.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Why would Canadian fans or the team itself be worried that the Czech Republic outshot Canada by 4 measly shots? especially when we've had a goalie that has been lights out fantastic. Final shot totals were 29-25 lol..
Everyone knows that measuring a single game performance by using shot totals just doesn't paint a picture. It's definitely a straw grasping tactic.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
This is a 50/50 game for me, I don’t see Canada as a clear favourite. They haven’t consistently played well; actually I’d say the only game they turned it up was against Finland. Russia looked pretty dominant against the US for 50 minutes and they won a men’s tournament a month ago.

should be a great game

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You seem to be intoxicated by beating down on depleted Germans and Swiss. Heck, Czech Republic outplayed Canada at times. It will be a close game and any team can win it.
And the Czechs beat Russia, pretty easily too

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I dont usually do this...but what the hell.
I think it's more likely that Canada shuts them out than anything else.

No one wants to say it... but, just my thoughts... 2-0 Canada.

Though it doesnt take much for officiating to shift the tide in games (either way)

That top pair on D is just too dynamite and think we see some serious possession dominance tonight

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
Honestly it’s already much closer, remember the years we were getting destroyed 7-0 in our own building, the games are tighter now and Russia even winning quite a few of them.

I think the lowest point was the ‘superseries’ of 2007 when we got absolutely embarrassed. I am 100% sure that Canada even with Laf and Dach wouldn’t have that much dominance.
Oh ye! I was thinking exactly the same, those were the dark days of Russian hockey. Even with Malkin and Ovi the teams were already pretty unbalanced.

Now though, combination of nationally funded development program, good rate of rinks being built, KHL, along with improved demographics things are looking up for the first time in 30 years. 2024 wjc will be the first favorable demographic and socioeconomic year for Russian kids, and we can already see talent on horizon.

The development in Canada is facing some challenges, like higher living costs preventing the fewer remaining families from participating. It'll be interesting.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
full

I didn't give you permission to use my picture.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russia has been surprisingly good, in a year which they were considered to have sub par talent. If Chinakhov and Abramov are back and playing well, then this will be a very dangerous game for Canada. Players on both teams play hard, but "skilled" players on Canada who were expected to control the puck like Byfield and Perfetti haven't shown much offense, and, of course, the big dog in that regard, Dach, is gone.

Best goalie wins, or some previously dormant player like Quinn, Byfield, or Perfetti has to show up.

Reactions: Wishywashy20
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad