Prospect Info: Semi-Annual Prospect Poll: NYR Prospect #6

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Brady Skjei wins this round and is replaced by a fellow blueliner Conor Allen.

Please write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion here more lively.

WHO IS A PROSPECT: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW Chris Kreider
2. C J.T. Miller
3. D Dylan McIlrath
4. G Cameron Talbot
5. D Brady Skjei

Brady Skjei
Defense
Born Mar 26 1994 -- Lakeville, MN
Height 6.02 -- Weight 197 [188 cm/89 kg]

2013-14 U. of Minnesota Big-10 17GP 2-3-5 16PIM

10psouth0118_large.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED

Andersson, Calle
Beach, Kyle
Bourque, Ryan
Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Graves, Ryan
Hrivik, Marek
Hughes, Tommy
Jean, Kyle
Kantor, Michael
Missiaen, Jason
Nicholls, Josh
Nieves, Cristoval
Noreau, Samuel
St. Croix, Michael
Skapski, Mackenzie
Spelling, Thomas
Stajcer, Scott
Tambellini, Adam
Wilson, Jason
Yogan, Andrew

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Lindberg. Decently close to being a 3rd line C. That's valuable.

Add Nieves. Having a down year statistically but every time I watch him he makes plays that pull you out of your seat.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Voted for Lindberg because he's very close to the NHL and has middle-6 potential.

Add Nieves because he's a good all-around player who has shown that he has real potential.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
These are my "prospect grades" that I did for myself I couple nights ago. Trying to give myself an overall letter grade for each player taking into account ceiling, likelihood of panning out, ability to play in the NHL if they don't reach their ceiling, some other variables (injury history, "attitude," etc.). It's my own HF Rankings. :laugh:

Kreider: A-
Miller: B+
McIlrath: B+
Skjei: B
Lindberg: B
Talbot: B
Allen: B
Fast: B-
Buchnevich: B-
Duclair: B-
Kristo: B-
Nieves: B-
Hrivik: C
Skapski: C
Yogan: C-
Andersson: C-
Tambellini: C-
St. Croix: C-
Kantor: D+
Noreau: D+
Bourque: D+
Fogarty: D+
Hughes: D+
Donnay: D
Graves: D
Stajcer: D-
Spelling: D-
Beach: D-
Nicholls: F
Missiaen: F
Wilson: F

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Coinflip here for me, liked what I saw from Allen so he got the edge. Add Nieves!

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I understand the quality. Absolutely. I also understand that fringe NHL players and AHL-caliber talent can thrive in the KHL. Let's look at some names from the top 20 in scoring over there: Brandon Bochenski, Kyle Wilson, Nigel Dawes, Marcel Hossa, Dustin Boyd, Jonathan Cheechoo. That's a Who's Who of NHL has-beens and never-weres.

A consistent role in the top nine of a KHL team, regardless of age or any other circumstance, does not guarantee NHL success. Top production in the KHL does not guarantee NHL success! The leagues are too different to make an apples-to-apples comparison and prediction of future success. There are tons of players in the KHL that would never sniff an NHL ice surface. There are plenty of guys on KHL rosters that would be ECHL players were they to come stateside.

Buchnevich is having a good season. That he's established himself on a KHL team is certainly a good thing, there's no denying that. He has tremendous upside; that also can't be denied. I think he also has far greater "bust potential" than Skjei, Fast or Lindberg. Were we to rank guys purely on upside, I'd have Buchnevich higer up the list. I also take into account likelihood of reaching that potential, and what role a player could fill if he fails to fulfill his potential. Guys like the three I mentioned above, I see them as having a decent likelihood of fulfilling their potential, and I see possible roles for them even if they don't pan out fully. Buchnevich? I see a more slim likelihood of fulfilling his potential and no NHL role for him if he doesn't blossom into a top six offensive winger.

My view is slightly different re. bolded - these players you listed (and not listed the likes of Kovalchuk, Radulov etc) are the ones that were forced out of NHL because they were not good enough for top 6 roles and didn't have a skill set for bottom 6 energy or defensive responsibilities (or they might have the skills for such responsibilities but playing top 6 in KHL allows them to earn more $$). The point is most of these players are better quality than those playing in AHL.

Otherwise I'd stress out that Bush is 18 while Lindberg & Fast are in their twenties.
Add Nieves.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Kristo, I think he is very close to be NHL ready. Working on his away from the pucks play, he has everything else this team needs.

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008
Duclair... I put more weight on upside because you can always find role players from the scrap heap. Duclair & Buchnevich have legitimate top 6 scoring potential.

Add Calle Andersson.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Duclair... I put more weight on upside because you can always find role players from the scrap heap. Duclair & Buchnevich have legitimate top 6 scoring potential.

Add Calle Andersson.

I used to feel the same way, but it seems like we've had a ***** of a time putting together a competent bottom six for more than a few years now. Then we end up paying for flotsam like Pyatt.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
My view is slightly different re. bolded - these players you listed (and not listed the likes of Kovalchuk, Radulov etc) are the ones that were forced out of NHL because they were not good enough for top 6 roles and didn't have a skill set for bottom 6 energy or defensive responsibilities (or they might have the skills for such responsibilities but playing top 6 in KHL allows them to earn more $$). The point is most of these players are better quality than those playing in AHL.

Otherwise I'd stress out that Bush is 18 while Lindberg & Fast are in their twenties.
Add Nieves.

In baseball, those are the guys you'd label as "4A" players--too good for AAA ball, but not good enough for regular MLB action. Any way you slice it though, they're not able to perform consistently at the highest level.

To your point about particular players not having the skill set to play a bottom six energy role: it's absolutely spot on, and I think it reinforces my point about Buchnevich. He's almost certainly not going to be a guy that kills penalties, or provides energy from a third line role. That's just not his game. He's going to be an offensively-oriented top-six winger, or not play in the NHL. His performance in the KHL thus far is impressive, but it has no bearing on whether he can succeed as an NHL player.

I don't think we're really in disagreement about anything. I just take performance in any non-NHL league--AHL, KHL, SHL, whatever--with a heavy grain of salt. For every one player whose performance translates to the NHL, there are five guys who don't come anywhere close. And that might be me being generous to the other leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad