Prospect Info: Semi-Annual Prospect Poll: #12 NYR Prospect

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Those are a whole lot of "should've's" that are hardly based in objectivity. If anyone was 100% expecting a 20 year old to progress to the NHL or two young guys from Sweden to come to a brand new continent with a totally different rink size and playing style and not miss a beat then that's their problem. Not Gernander's problem or the players' problems. Sure, if you want to attribute a bad Hartford team to a general statistical deflation then be my guest. That still does not explain why Hrivik has fewer goals than Ryan Bourque and Darroll Powe despite playing more offensive minutes.

With the notable exception of Artem Anisimov (years ago now) we haven't had a single prospect with offensive talent matriculate after spending significant time in the AHL. Every offensive talent we have that has graduated to the NHL has either a) come up before Gernander took over, b) played primarily in college or c) played primarily in the NHL with occasional shuttle jumps back to the Wolfpack. Even Kreider played his worst hockey when he had the extended run under Gernander during the lockout. And yet, we have had success with the guys who've gone those other routes. Just a coincidence? After this many years?

As I think back, I wonder how many promising players like Parlett, Sanguinetti, Kundratek, Thomas, Grachev, etc. might have fared differently with a different coach - and that's just the guys who disappointed based on their pre-AHL resumes. Where are the surprises, the unheralded guys who have developed due to his superior coaching?

Furthermore, look at the overall team performance during his tenure. It's gone from playoff disappointments to not making the playoffs, to one of the worst seasons I've ever seen a professional hockey team endure - in what was supposed to be one of its BEST seasons, based on personnel. If you watch the team, they show no real system, the players don't appear to develop and an alarming number stagnate.

We need to get rid of Gernander NOW - otherwise, I very much fear that we will soon be writing off the majority of Kristo, Lindberg, Fast and McIlrath. I'm afraid that it may already be too late for guys like Hrivik, Yogan and Jean.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Those are a whole lot of "should've's" that are hardly based in objectivity. If anyone was 100% expecting a 20 year old to progress to the NHL or two young guys from Sweden to come to a brand new continent with a totally different rink size and playing style and not miss a beat then that's their problem. Not Gernander's problem or the players' problems. Sure, if you want to attribute a bad Hartford team to a general statistical deflation then be my guest. That still does not explain why Hrivik has fewer goals than Ryan Bourque and Darroll Powe despite playing more offensive minutes.

Not one player Hartford is playing above expectations, but a whole lot of them are playing below expectations. Every year you should get both, but not in Kenny G's Pack.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
one of the worst seasons I've ever seen a professional hockey team endure - in what was supposed to be one of its BEST seasons, based on personnel.

This is exactly it. The Pack were supposed to be one of the best teams in the AHL. Now I'm sure Kenny G will claim that Hrivik, Yogan, etc suck, and Fast and Lindberg aren't that good either, etc. But the trouble with the personnel is his fault. This team has offensive talent that it shouldn't be getting shut out all the time or playing hockey so boring, I need to turn off the TV midway through the game.

Where are the surprises, the unheralded guys who have developed due to his superior coaching?

That's the other part of it. Where's the ability to turn guys like Klassen and Wiebe into NHLers? I know 95% of the time, it's impossible, but when you go through dozens and dozens of these kids, shouldn't you get one surprise? I'm not talking specifically about those two guys, they were just examples of unheralded players. Why can't at least a couple become somebody?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Heck, even if we take OFFENSIVE talent out of the equation, how many bona fide NHLers have graduated after getting most of their coaching from Kenny G? There's Sauer and... um... er... Weise, I guess? In SIX years?

Both his prospect development and on-ice results are getting progressively worse, not better. Schoeny should take over behind the bench this weekend and they should find a serious up-and-comer like Eakins or Bylsma to take over starting next year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
When I talk about giving Hrivik a pass, I'm still acknowledging that he's had an awful year. Is it because he's no good? Is it because the team is horrendous? Is it due to terrible coaching? Some combination of the three? I just hesitate to write a kid off for having a bad year on THAT team.

Oh, and yeah, Gernander needs to go. I've been on that bandwagon for years. His teams never overachieve, and usually underachieve.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
When I talk about giving Hrivik a pass, I'm still acknowledging that he's had an awful year. Is it because he's no good? Is it because the team is horrendous? Is it due to terrible coaching? Some combination of the three? I just hesitate to write a kid off for having a bad year on THAT team.

Oh, and yeah, Gernander needs to go. I've been on that bandwagon for years. His teams never overachieve, and usually underachieve.

Oh, absolutely agreed. I was super high on Hrivik when we signed him. Liked what I saw out of him in his final junior year and his cup of coffee with the Pack as well as his start the following season. Lest we forget, he came damn close to making the NHL team in two straight camps.

Hrivik played his best hockey in his first games there - and then Kenny G got his mitts on him and supposedly started "teaching" him to "improve." Same with Jean, who as was mentioned elsewhere looked like our own Matt Read coming out of camp a year or so ago. Same with Grachev, who could've been another Kreider if he'd received GOOD coaching. I worry that we're now starting to see it with Fast, who DID actually make the team out of camp. Why is it all these guys look great before they get to Hartford, do well their first few weeks and then, slowly but surely, begin to deteriorate?

FFS, one or two could easily be attributable to being flashes in the pan, but guys consistently go from nearly good enough to make the NHL to washing out of the AHL. I mean, this is a flat out ALARMING trend.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Oh, absolutely agreed. I was super high on Hrivik when we signed him. Liked what I saw out of him in his final junior year and his cup of coffee with the Pack as well as his start the following season. Lest we forget, he came damn close to making the NHL team in two straight camps.

Hrivik played his best hockey in his first games there - and then Kenny G got his mitts on him and supposedly started "teaching" him to "improve." Same with Jean, who as was mentioned elsewhere looked like our own Matt Read coming out of camp a year or so ago. Same with Grachev, who could've been another Kreider if he'd received GOOD coaching. I worry that we're now starting to see it with Fast, who DID actually make the team out of camp. Why is it all these guys look great before they get to Hartford, do well their first few weeks and then, slowly but surely, begin to deteriorate?

FFS, one or two could easily be attributable to being flashes in the pan, but guys consistently go from nearly good enough to make the NHL to washing out of the AHL. I mean, this is a flat out ALARMING trend.

I don't watch the Wolfpack very often, if at all. However, if what you're saying is potentially and even remotely true, then Kenny G has got to GO!

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Voted for Hrivik by mistake. Wont matter.

Add Graves I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad