Speculation: Sellers at the Deadline?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Yes, I am aware we are not mathematically eliminated yet but it looks pretty grim. That being said, we were sitting in a playoff position last year, otherwise I feel our impending UFAs would have been sold.

The one guy that interests me is Clutterbuck, were certainly not protecting him for Expansion, as far as I know. He's also been selected in many mock drafts (take it with a grain).

Is this a player Snow would resign?

If so, what kind of contract would he command?

I feel Clutterbuck is a big part of this team but that doesn't mean the brainiacs will even talk to him regarding an extension. He seems like a potential target, I could see him dealt out West to a team looking for some Sandpaper.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
What do we have to sell?

Last year would have been better because we had Neilsen and Okposo. Too bad we were
a playoff team.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Preds fan coming in peace

Assuming you are out of the playoffs race at the deadline, what would the asking price for Greiss and/or Clutterbuck be?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Preds fan coming in peace

Assuming you are out of the playoffs race at the deadline, what would the asking price for Greiss and/or Clutterbuck be?

A third for Greiss? Not sure what Clutterbuck is worth.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
This is one sad thread. It isn't even December yet.

Considering Ive been a member of this board for years now.. this thread is nothing new. Sadly none of us want this thread to happen. I can honestly say i came into this year rather optimistic and figured we would be in good shape but Garth Snow/ Doug Weight and Jack Capuano are clueless.

Us tanking is the best thing that could ever happen. A real Gm comes in and we will be back.

I will be the first to say this.. trade John Tavares NOW! He is not signing with us. Make the Killer Blockbuster trade.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
What do we have to sell?

Last year would have been better because we had Neilsen and Okposo. Too bad we were
a playoff team.

We have an excess of prospects that may or may not crack our lineup next year. There is speculation that this will be one of the busiest trade deadlines in history.

On the surface, Clutterbuck seems marketable, he wont fetch a first but I really don't see us extending him. I'd be very reluctant to trade Greiss, though he is a rental candidate as well.

Hell, who knows if Berube will be able to play after playing so little in 2 years.

Expansion introduces a whole new dynamic, which is why I think this deadline will be atypical and we will all be very surprised with some of the activity in a few short months.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
How about a top 5 first round draft pick? :sarcasm:

I dont know how you think Greiss is worth a third?? He is a solid NHL goalie that could really carry a team far.

He's a career backup goaltender that is currently a backup goaltender. They don't fetch much.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The organization is in a tough situation. By trading Clutterbuck it just makes us look like a bunch of losers. Keep him and hope Vegas doesn't draft him because he is more useful than Lee and Strome as of now.

I am not really sure what they should do. See if there are any takers for Kulemin, Halak, Bailey, and thats really it. If our (hopefully) new GM wants to trade Strome or Nelson the time to do that is the offseason.

I do not think we will see the Isles be very active this deadline, we aren't true sellers because whoever takes this team over is going to try and compete for Tavares.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
In all honesty, we're already projected to place 30th and receive the 1st overall pick, thus drafting Nolan Patrick, another center. So what would make sense to me is offer Cizikas and Strome at the deadline to look for a solid wing for Tavares, and then role with JT, Patrick, Barzal, and Beauvillier as the centers. Just makes sense to me as long as we remain on the path we're heading down.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
In all honesty, we're already projected to place 30th and receive the 1st overall pick, thus drafting Nolan Patrick, another center. So what would make sense to me is offer Cizikas and Strome at the deadline to look for a solid wing for Tavares, and then role with JT, Patrick, Barzal, and Beauvillier as the centers. Just makes sense to me as long as we remain on the path we're heading down.

We still have such a low shot of actually retaining the first overall pick after the lottery. I wouldn't count on getting Nolan Patrick and it should be an embarrassment to this franchise if they go up and draft 1st overall.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

That's not a bad idea at all but more of a draft day trade when we know for certain we'll have the first pick.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
We still have such a low shot of actually retaining the first overall pick after the lottery. I wouldn't count on getting Nolan Patrick and it should be an embarrassment to this franchise if they go up and draft 1st overall.

If looking like an embarrassment is necessary to get a solid roster is what we need to do I'm all for it. But being real, even if we don't get the first overall, we still have an overflow of centers in our system anyways, so getting a solid wing for one or two of them isn't a bad idea.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
If looking like an embarrassment is necessary to get a solid roster is what we need to do I'm all for it. But being real, even if we don't get the first overall, we still have an overflow of centers in our system anyways, so getting a solid wing for one or two of them isn't a bad idea.

Listen, I love Strome and still feel he can be a 50-60 point player with a different head coach, but I don't see the value right now. I think if a GM comes in here and looks at this roster he should bring up Ho Sang and MDC along with making a trade for a top six forward.

The problem is IMO we are only getting a premier offensive talent if we deal away Barzal + 1st. That is something our GM will have to decide.

Are there any wingers you have in mind?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

Sweet! 3 rookies down the middle. Can't wait. Go kids go!

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Sweet! 3 rookies down the middle. Can't wait. Go kids go!

It seems to be working for plenty of other teams, Beauvillier has already proved himself to be a good 3rd/4th line forward, Patrick is supposed to be an elite forward right off the bat, and Barzal had to have shown enough strength to have made the team to start the season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
A third for Greiss? Not sure what Clutterbuck is worth.

Teams seem to constantly pay 2nd round picks for a guy like Daniel Winnik at the deadline, so that's probably the ballpark for Clutterbuck's worth.

A contender with two 2nd round picks might offer one of them (the later one) plus a cap dump for maybe Clutterbuck and a 5th.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island

just watch; with the islanders luck they'll win draft lottery, but Nolan Patrick will end up being the next patrick stefan/yakapov

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I dont know how you think Greiss is worth a third?? He is a solid NHL goalie that could really carry a team far.

Greiss is a good backup. Only important is how much salary he wants for his next contract. You ask him now, if he wants too much you should trade him, especially now after they missed the chance to get rid of Halak again.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
just watch; with the islanders luck they'll win draft lottery, but Nolan Patrick will end up being the next patrick stefan/yakapov

Or they'll pass on Patrick to draft Ian Scott as their 4th goalie just in case they can't trade Halak and Greiss gets hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad