Sell me on NHL 18..

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I have not been a fan of the NHL series for a number of years and although this years game is not perfect by a long shot, I believe it has the best performance sliders of any EA game recently. You can actually make the goalies good if you ramp them up. I find the attributes effect adds to the game as well, you can at least find some separation between the players skill wise. Also the size slider makes bigger guys more physically imposing then smaller guys in hitting.

My goalies actually have over .900 save percentages and getting a pretty balanced 30-30 shots for and against on a game to game basis. I do not find the computer cheating by scoring weak goals like previous versions, I usually win if I outplay the other team offensively and defensively and lose if I do not, with fairly realistic stats.

If you are a person that enjoys mostly playing the franchise mode, I think the game is much improved. The stick checking is kind of crazy, but in the real NHL stick work is pretty common as well, I find it makes the defensive side of the game better. I am enjoying it quite a bit so far.

This is what I like about the game. It feels like there are a lot more loose pucks and you have to fight for the puck which is what real hockey is like.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
Is the skating the same as last years? i found last year's version pretty much unplayable, just for me i couldnt seem to make the transition to the new skating style and found the passing to be horrendous. i guess im just getting old. i loved me some nhl14 , miss the old skill stick and skating mechanics. have bought the nhl series every year but thinking this will be the first year i pass

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Have they put the ability to actually play the career of an existing player back into it or are you still stuck with creating a Dungeons and Dragons character? I dont know why they ever took that aspect out of the game other than to re-introduce it years later and use it as hype. Thieves.

I love the GM mode in NHL 17, but I don't see any reason to get this one except maybe for the updated roster that will have Jacob Slavin maybe with a realistic player score.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Do you live in Canada ? I just bought it on sale at Best Buy for 49.99+tx and I think it's still on sale. I didn't play NHL 17, the last one I had was NHL 16. I easily notice the difference. 18 is better for sure.
oh yeah, 16 was pretty rough. 17 was considerably better.

It's on sale for 40 bucks CAD right now on amazon plus I'll check out the PS store. I gotta admit, I'm getting the bug. :/

And forget all this pay to win crap, I loved EASHL when it debuted in 09, it was revolutionary.. but then people started buying their players into all-stars on day one, and I know you can still beat them, but the whole thing was sullied IMO.

HUTs fun for maybe a month, then I get bored with it. It's always Be a GM that intrigues me the most.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I have not been a fan of the NHL series for a number of years and although this years game is not perfect by a long shot, I believe it has the best performance sliders of any EA game recently. You can actually make the goalies good if you ramp them up. I find the attributes effect adds to the game as well, you can at least find some separation between the players skill wise. Also the size slider makes bigger guys more physically imposing then smaller guys in hitting.

My goalies actually have over .900 save percentages and getting a pretty balanced 30-30 shots for and against on a game to game basis. I do not find the computer cheating by scoring weak goals like previous versions, I usually win if I outplay the other team offensively and defensively and lose if I do not, with fairly realistic stats.

If you are a person that enjoys mostly playing the franchise mode, I think the game is much improved. The stick checking is kind of crazy, but in the real NHL stick work is pretty common as well, I find it makes the defensive side of the game better. I am enjoying it quite a bit so far.
This sounds pretty good, I like the fact that there's more to defensive play than poke check poke check poke check, maybe a stick lift (but dont hook em!) . its half off so I'm likely to take the plunge, even though I'm really sour at EA right now. The whole Battlefront 2 fiasco was pure BS, I'm glad there was a significant response.

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
I'm very tempted to buy it now since I can get it for about $25 on Xbox One. However, I can play it for free in probably 1-2 months because I have EA Access. Decisions, decisions...

EDIT: I bought it

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I only play this game for franchise mode as well ...

There's no major changes but there's some small things that I like.

1. The Vegas Golden Knights are in the game (this one's obvious).

2. All the new jerseys are in the game (also obvious).

3. You can turn on/off player morale for franchise mode.

4. You can sign extensions with players during the season, but only with players who are willing to negotiate.

5. I prefer the lowered overalls. Maybe because I'm old and liked how players were made 10-15 years ago.

6. Some new dekes are in the game. The defensive skill stick is also useful.

Overall though, the gameplay has the same feeling to it. It uses the same base engine.
Yeah, this sums it up will imo. The skating also feels more realistic. It's worth it if you have the money to spend. If money's tight, I'd hold off.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

The problem with stick checking is that the outcome is pretty f***ing random. It's annoying imo. Also it becomes total clusterf*** when the puck changes possession 5 times in two seconds. It's more realistic I sguess but sometimes simpler is better. That's why I enjoy the Threes mode. Feels like good old NHL when you can actually have some room to try the actual dekes and create some cool plays instead of hitting R1 literally all game.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Stick “checking” is a joke. Your best defensive strategy is simply to try and get the opposing player to skate through your stick as it’s the only way to knock the puck free. I can understand the idea about making the game more realistic, but where exactly is the fun in spending a solid minute just trying to gain possession of the puck? Why does any puck that comes within 3 feet of an AI controlled player automatically jump off my stick and bounce away or go right to the defender?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Ok, so I finally got it when it was on sale.

At first I wasn't sure, but with a week or two under my belt heres what I think:

The AI is much better, your teammates seem to actually know where to go, improvement.
The gameplay in general feels more organic, closer to reality.
The goalies aren't as good, but I feel thats an improvement as in 16 and 17 they felt way too perfect, even weaker goalies.
I've had a couple of strange goals where the goalie had difficulty covering up a pretty easy puck, maybe if thats a problem it can be fixed with sliders somehow.
Puck is looser, but it somehow feels more correct.
Be a GM mode is better, notably from the fact that the other teams offer you decent trades unlike before. Plus they have more desirable players on the trade block.
Havent gotten to my first draft yet, I'll see how that goes, but people say its better.

Just wondering, is there a reason they cant put coach's faces into the game? They did it back in 2004, how hard could it be?

So.. for 30 bucks CAD it's a decent buy.

Better than 17? I'd say so, but it still feels like they're not putting as much effort in it as they did last gen.

Last edited:

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014
In the '17 game, the drafting was terrible. It was basically impossible to find a late round pick worth anything. In '18, you can find a 72OA in the 5th round.
I know you already bought the game, so it's all moot at this point, but I do really like that.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
All modes are essentially copied from previous years. Sliders will be adjusted by updates in order to change any seeming improvements. All slider changes will be made to cater to HUT. All changes catered to HUT will be made in an effort to entice more micro-transactions. Hahaha your money is EA's. There is no escape. Eastside simulator? Please! You don't want that shit for NERDS do you? No. You don't. You want the best graphics from 2013, words like "next gen" and "physics" to appear in your advertising and our hands gripping your wallet tightly. BUY IT

Sincerely,
Not EA

Last edited:

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
18 is the best NHL game i've played since about NHL 11/12 in my opinion, which ever one had the goalie fights in it. The gameplay is SO much better than '17.

Also if you're doing a fantasy draft in GM mode, you'll notice that in '17 it was very slow scrolling through player names, late in the draft. This year, they sped it up.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I've decided to skip every other year now. To keep things fresh. Realize it is a small development team. So hopefully 2019 is better....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad