Speculation: Secondary scoring last 30 games!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Kappy 3 goals

Kerfoot 3 goals

Johnsson 2 goals missed 15 games of the 30

Mikheyev 4 goals missed 17 games of the 30

Engvall 6 goals

Spezza 6 goals

This timeframe of 30 games is basically Keefe’s entire time coaching. Spezza are playing pretty limited ice time but produce the most. Mikheyev & Johnsson have had considerable injury time out of the Lineup.

Whats the excuse for Kerfoot and Kapanen with six goals between them in them 30 games??? This is something that is being missed. The stars are carrying the team! Blaming one aspect of the team like defense or goaltending isn’t telling the entire story.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Every single solitary problem comes down to injuries and goaltending. Haven’t you read it enough to believe it by now?

Last edited by a moderator:

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I thought it was some sort of rule that Spezza has been breaking.

Only Matthews, Tavares, Marner, and Nylander are allowed to score on this team.

Reactions: realgoodleafs

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Oh great now you found another problem with this team. :)

It is true, we have secondary scoring problems, defensive problems and goaltending issues. Hopefully a healthy Freddy and Campbell fixes the goaltending part. We have also been terrible with asset management over the years.

But Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Marner have absolutely been carrying this team. We need a more balanced approach.

Personnel and lineup changes need to be made in the bottom 6 and on defense.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
All players go through bad stretches, even bad seasons. Look at Phil Kessel this year or Nylander last year. I will say though, that this lack of performance has made it an easier to pill to swallow to pick time and make a bigger splash,

I asked this question on here during the break and most disagreed, I wonder if some have changed their positions today. I thought it was important to send a message, you must perform, or, the team must be dominating in order for players to stay on the train. They have done neither.

You can't win without some risk. That's sports. You calculate and consider what your needs are vs what you lose, and what the replacement for that loss will be (if you trade a forward for a D man for instance). Leafs have to address this need, they simply can't gamble on trying to find lightning in a bottle as some Cup winners have. You need a complete team.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think that also had to do with Keefe playing the top 6 more.
Would be nice to have more production in the bottom 6 but there is a reason they are in the bottom 6.
Having said that, it would be nice for the 3rd to pick up a bit of scoring but I don’t even Keefe have a set of players for the 3rd line in mind beside Kap. I do like the Clifford-Spezza-Kap combo but don’t think they can do much offensively.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
These guys better be playing a complete defensive game with these numbers right. We should not see to many odd man rushes against and the coverage defensively should be excellent with them numbers right! Wrong ha.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I feel like no matter who's on the 3rd line that's where scoring goes to die. Spezza should be centering that line with some half decent wingers and then go full on energy w/ size on the 4th line.

Johnsson - Spezza - Kapanen
Clifford - Engvall - Gauthier

Swap out Engvall and Kerfoot on the 2nd line to change things here and there.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Kappy 3 goals

Kerfoot 3 goals

Johnsson 2 goals missed 15 games of the 30

Mikheyev 4 goals missed 17 games of the 30

Engvall 6 goals

Spezza 6 goals

This timeframe of 30 games is basically Keefe’s entire time coaching. Spezza are playing pretty limited ice time but produce the most. Mikheyev & Johnsson have had considerable injury time out of the Lineup.

Whats the excuse for Kerfoot and Kapanen with six goals between them in them 30 games??? This is something that is being missed. The stars are carrying the team! Blaming one aspect of the team like defense or goaltending isn’t telling the entire story.

If you check out the OZ ZS%, you will realize that Keefe keeps on playing Matthews etc in the OZ at league-leading percentages.

The secondary guys do the defensive work & the heavy lifting. Pretty much every single OZ faceoff Keefe does not send in the secondary guys.

It's not that easy to keep on scoring if you have to start from your own end night after night.

Reactions: qqaz

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I feel like no matter who's on the 3rd line that's where scoring goes to die. Spezza should be centering that line with some half decent wingers and then go full on energy w/ size on the 4th line.

Johnsson - Spezza - Kapanen
Clifford - Engvall - Gauthier

Swap out Engvall and Kerfoot on the 2nd line to change things here and there.
Don’t think Goat should be on the team anymore. Would rather have Tima on the 4th line.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
The center drives the line.

If Keefe insists on playing Tavares and Matthews together, he only got one line.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If you check out the OZ ZS%, you will realize that Keefe keeps on playing Matthews etc in the OZ at league-leading percentages.

The secondary guys do the defensive work & the heavy lifting. Pretty much every single OZ faceoff Keefe does not send in the secondary guys.

It's not that easy to keep on scoring if you have to start from your own end night after night.
Thats their job is to keep goals out and shots down and they play fir points not defense. QoC for them is less to so this is a bs excuse. They are risky offense and not close to physical enough defensively read soft soft and puck watchers because they like to expend all their energy trying offense and not being accountable defensively.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It does make the potential for a tdl trade for a D man more appealing.

I dont think its necessarily a major issue beacuse as others have said - cold streaks happen -but if they want to atay on the team, they will need to produce given their salaries. Theyre not first line falent so imo they get less leeway in terms of patience

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Yeah and he drives the line as does matthews so you give it up. If you think you can argue Marner doesnt Drive the line lets hear it or you give it up
Babcock was right, Marner and Matthews should play on different lines! I do not give up this point, so you give it up if you disagree! (but really you mistake me with someone else).

Both drive a line.

Seeing Tavares, Matthews, Marner, on the same line is unbelievable!

It is like the new coach don't give a rat's ass about the rest of the team.

Outside of those three, there is no scoring, not even a sniff. Then there is no forecheck.

This team will crawl into the playoffs . . .

:baghead:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
30 games of nothing but 26 goals from six players with 3 of them taking up over $10,000,000 in cap space and Matthews alone over that span has 25 goal to their 26 and people want to come on here and say that Matthews is a atrocious contract! The only thing atrocious is their comprehension of the game.

When you are playing Mid 6 minutes you better produce goals or defense. These guys are providing neither. But go ahead complain about Marner and Mattheews contracts all day because after all they have only produced 35 goals and 89 points these last 30 games.

Time for exposing some real problems on this team

Reactions: Eric bungay

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Babcock was right, Marner and Matthews should play on different lines! I do not give up this point, so you give it up if you disagree! (but really you mistake me with someone else).

Both drive a line.

Seeing Tavares, Matthews, Marner, on the same line is unbelievable!

It is like the new coach don't give a rat's ass about the rest of the team.

Outside of those three, there is no scoring, not even a sniff. Then there is no forecheck.

This team will crawl into the playoffs . . .

:baghead:
Sure they will . On the backs of Willy,Mitch,JT and Matthews freddy Andersen and now Campbell. Campbell that Dubas got for practically nothing that would register on our team for four or five years after every main contract would be expired and the cup window closing. Great trade and appropriate cost.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad