How do you feel about this team?

• This is a bad hockey team and they'll really struggle / Lottery team

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
On the eve of a new season, how do we feel about the Rangers chances?

Think of the poll choices as a general gauge of excitement/expectation. How far they'll actually go depends on a lot of factors, as well all know.

LGR!

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I picked the 2nd round option but in all honesty, it's anyone's guess. I'm expecting another top 3 division finish and 100+ point season. Playoffs are all about matchups and just dumb luck sometimes and they also play in a top heavier division than the Atlantic which is bad for playoff purposes. They could be out in round 1 or wind up in the Stanley Cup Final, neither would shock me. I wouldn't consider them favorites (I have Toronto, NJD, and Carolina above them) but they have the ingredients of a Cup team and could easily beat any of those 3 teams.

It would really benefit them to win the division for an easier 1st round matchup though as tough as that may be.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
All the kids break out, leading the team in scoring, but all the vets regress. Such is the timing for this organization. Fox has a great season. Miller also. Gust solid.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think Lav is a good coach, specifically when taking on a new club and I like this staff - so I think the team will be better prepared.

To me they feel like a 2nd round type of team who could push for more, but could also see them bomb out for various reasons, mainly due to Mika, Bread & Kreids hitting their downswing. A lot of the offense runs through them.

The kids taking another step may be the most important thing in that regard. Can Chytil stay healthy? He could be a catalyst if he does.
Kakko is obviously ready to take another step but how much more production will we see? Laf's situation has been beaten to death, but godforbid he shows up, it could change the complexion of this team greatly. Its very possible Miller takes another leap. Schneider as well, later in the year. Cuylle could have an interesting effect. I wouldnt be suprised if he gets hot at some point and pots around 15-20.

On the back end, to me its more about keeping the high danger/odd man rushes down and the puck out of the net than anything else. The forwards need to help. The offense will take care of itself with Fox and Gusto in the mix.

Worried about Quick & Bonino. Didn't like the signings and while they wont be counted on heavily, I still think they will be exposed. Wheeler will be a complimentary player and lets hope it stays that way. This team is in trouble if he has to be relied on any more than that. The depth will be challenged. Will be interesting to see how Drury manages the cap, because he will likely be adding again at the deadline.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I think we're a playoff team, but beyond that it's a crapshoot. It's less about if the veterans buy in to playing a more aggressive straight-ahead game (spoiler alert: they won't), and more about if the younger forwards (i.e. Chytil, Kakko, Lafreniere, and maybe Cuylle or Othmann) buy into playing that way and kind of drag the vets into that mentality.

FWIW, I think they will. Kakko and Chytil are going to getting ice time with the vets hopefully for the entire season.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Any team with Igor and Fox would struggle not to make the playoffs IMO. I think there will be some growing pains and adjustments as younger players take on bigger roles and older players take steps back, but I think there's too much talent here not to be a contender by the season's end.

Of course, there's a wide range of outcomes possible for this team, and even in making the playoffs they're almost guaranteed to face one of Jersey or Carolina...

Reactions: CLW and Miller1983

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
My prediction:

At some point Othmann gets a call up and surpasses Laf on the depth chart.

Laf is traded at the deadline for a disappointing return that the other team will eventually regret anyway.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Feeling it in his bones that third time is the charm, Drury acquires Tyler Motte at the trade deadline with the team 5 points out of the second wildcard spot.

• Haha
Reactions: TheDirtyH

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
We’ll look down and out, until the deadline where we flip Lafreniere to Vancouver for a certain someone who’s also deemed a bust, that player makes a triumphant return and puts the team on his back all the way to the cup and they make movies about it.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
This team has an ok chance to beat Carolina in the 1st round but not the Devils.

3rd place finish in the division, first round exit. 47-28-7 record for 101 points.

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
It should be a playoff team. No reason to think we regress. I think the two best teams in the conference are in our division, which is a problem (very Maple Leafs).

We probably have a stronger year than last but end up in the same place.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
We’ll look down and out, until the deadline where we flip Lafreniere to Vancouver for a certain someone who’s also deemed a bust, that player makes a triumphant return and puts the team on his back all the way to the cup and they make movies about it.
Mods, you know what to do...

Brother Mouzone

May 23, 2014
Feels trying to make a prediction about this team .................

cd9b447a-9c06-4907-b168-329cc5f2130f_text.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad