Injury Report: Season Ending Injury Thread

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I may be a little fuzzy on this, but wasn't a torn labrum in the hip the same injury Thomas had the year before they won the cup, which caused all the friction between him and the team because they tried to force him to waive his NTC?
It was the same surgery but I think the friction was from the team potentially not believing he could come back from it amongst other things.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It was the same surgery but I think the friction was from the team potentially not believing he could come back from it amongst other things.

I saw it at the time as the team realizing what they had in Tuukka, making Thomas expendable, and then trying to force him to accept a trade after he had moved both his parents to the Boston area to get better treatments for cancer. Thankfully he didn't waive as they went on to win the cup the next year, but that acrimony was why Thomas stripped the team colors and logos off his mask, pads and gloves.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
man, for Rask to have the year he did with that injury. I really hope some day people realize how good we've had it.

hopefully he bounces back like Timmy.

I let this be an opportunity for Swayman to start the year and go from there

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I saw it at the time as the team realizing what they had in Tuukka, making Thomas expendable, and then trying to force him to accept a trade after he had moved both his parents to the Boston area to get better treatments for cancer. Thankfully he didn't waive as they went on to win the cup the next year, but that acrimony was why Thomas stripped the team colors and logos off his mask, pads and gloves.

I always wondered why he went to the all-white look after 2010 I thought it was just him being prepared in the event of a trade.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The irony is that over the course of the 2011 season and playoffs, he showed them how misguided their attempts to move him were. Had they been successful, I'm not so sure they win the cup.

Let's be honest here. No knock on Rask but they most likely don't.

Reactions: finchster and LSCII

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Wouldn't that be hilarious if Rask waited until August to get surgery, took his time with rehab to get 100%, and returned with a new contract in I don't know let's just call it early May?

honestly Chuck I d love Dom to swing by and explain, since Im no good at CAP crap, is there a benefit to signing Rask and LTIR until end of season like Tampa did.

I truly dont know.

Reactions: Alicat and sarge88

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The irony is that over the course of the 2011 season and playoffs, he showed them how misguided their attempts to move him were. Had they been successful, I'm not so sure they win the cup.
I've said before I am not convinced that Thomas' overall run in 2011 was better than Rask in 2013 - the big difference is Thomas posted a 0.967 in the final. One of the best performances of all time in the finals. Yes, the Bruins scored a ton of goals, but the Canucks were also the best offensive team in the league that year.

The Bruins lucked into a cup by getting an all-time great preformance from Thomas in the final.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
honestly Chuck I d love Dom to swing by and explain, since Im no good at CAP crap, is there a benefit to signing Rask and LTIR until end of season like Tampa did.

I truly dont know.

I should have mentioned too, but it should go without saying that obviously the first concern is the long term health of Rask

I'm not sure if his lack of a contract now complicates things, but I suppose that could be solved by signing him today. He's on the books through the summer, goes under the knife and is put on LTIR, pulls the Kucherov and is full of piss and vinegar day 1 of the playoffs.

Or, didn't Justin Williams sign with Carolina in the playoffs?

There's gotta be a sketchy loophole left to exploit here.

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I've said before I am not convinced that Thomas' overall run in 2011 was better than Rask in 2013 - the big difference is Thomas posted a 0.967 in the final. One of the best performances of all time in the finals. Yes, the Bruins scored a ton of goals, but the Canucks were also the best offensive team in the league that year.

The Bruins lucked into a cup by getting an all-time great preformance from Thomas in the final.

Hard to disagree with you on that. Thomas was clearly on another planet during that entire run, touched off with an historical performance in the finals.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Funny part for me is the games the Bruins won in the finals, they won handedly and didn't need Thomas to be great. I found Thomas's best performances in those 7 Games were the 3 losses and Game 7. Even Game 7 he wasn't challenged all that much as the Bruins seemed to have the better of the play from start to finish.

I despise Ryan Kesler but the Canucks weren't close to the same offensive team they were in the regular season after he got hurt in the previous round vs. San Jose I believe.

I found Thomas made his hay in the Montreal and Tampa series where he had to stop a lot of difficult scoring opportunities over the 7 games. I don't think you win either without him. And that Game 2 in Philly when JVR was playing like a man possessed and Thomas was having none of it.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Rask more loyal than a lot of fans

Perhaps Loyal to a fault.

He leaves the question open as to should of he been in there at all during the playoffs. How bad was it hurting? At times he didn't look himself even Cassidy pointed that out.

The bruins had two very comparable goalies in Swayman and Halak who could of stepped in. Its your goalie your last line of defense, and you don't need your goalie playing injured, its hard enough to win in the playoffs even with a healthy keeper.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Hard to disagree with you on that. Thomas was clearly on another planet during that entire run, touched off with an historical performance in the finals.

Except when he got bailed out against Tampa allowing 20 goals in 4 games and 3.00 GAA for the series. Do we forget that Tampa scored 5 goals 4x in that series?

Or was average against Montreal at 2.42 GAA (17 in 7)

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Perhaps Loyal to a fault.

He leaves the question open as to should of he been in there at all during the playoffs. How bad was it hurting? At times he didn't look himself even Cassidy pointed that out.

The bruins had two very comparable goalies in Swayman and Halak who could of stepped in. Its your goalie your last line of defense, and you don't need your goalie playing injured, its hard enough to win in the playoffs even with a healthy keeper.
I don't put any of that on Rask. athletes will always opt to play if they think they can. you can't expect a guy to be ultra competitive but then also take himself out of the lineup.

if he was gonna sit it needed to be Cassidy's decision. but in the end I don't think it mattered with the way the Isles outplayed them in game 6

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Except when he got bailed out against Tampa allowing 20 goals in 4 games and 3.00 GAA for the series. Do we forget that Tampa scored 5 goals 4x in that series?

Or was average against Montreal at 2.42 GAA (17 in 7)

Wow, still some random hate left over for Thomas, despite him not having played for the team in a decade and having been retired for 7 years. :laugh:

GAA is a team stat, not an individuals. If you want to discuss just the player in net and how he performed in general , SV% is really it. So to that point, what were his SV%'s against your two examples of Tampa and Montreal?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad