Confirmed with Link: Sean Monahan for a 2024 1st rd pick + conditional '27 3rd rd pick

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Let's do some cap math before the playoffs start. Better now than after some freaky 4-0 win/loss that is only going to spur irrational takes. I put the longer version of my post behind a spoiler tag to save space.

The short answer: I believe 5 AAV should be doable for now, but keeping him will 1) limit our options at D, and 2) likely cost us Connor in 2026. Lots of moving parts in play.

If we keep DeMelo (5 AAV, top priority among UFAs), bridge Perfetti (2.X AAV), and fill the rest of the lineup with ELCs or deals with similar AAVs, we'll have about fit Monahan in at around 3.5 AAV, mostly depending on Perfetti. We would be compliant with a 22-man roster, but the wiggle room would be non-existent. There wouldn't be any improvements to the defense, nor could we get a reliable backup for Helle. You could resolve that by trading an Iafallo or an Appleton, since we already have potential replacements in the A who need to be tested before they become waiver eligible in 25-26. Let's downgrade a pick to dump Iafallo and replace him with Chibrikov - enough space to keep Monahan at 4.5 AAV. There's room for more, but I'd hope we could get a discounted rate here.

We then come across another problem: the following offseason. We'll have a ton of UFAs expiring, which helps, but we'll also have key players needing extensions. Ehlers is a must-keep, and Vilardi will be the only relevant piece left from the Dubois deal - let's keep him too. Samberg needs a raise after stepping into Dillon's shoes in the top 4. Those three could easily warrant 17-18 million a year between them. That would leave us with 18-20 million to do the following:

- fill in the offense (5 spots): 90% of this is promoting Rutger and Lambert, and it's also going to be a cheap fix. If guys like Barron and Namestnikov are being kept, this probably costs 6-7 million in total.
- sort out the backup situation: say 2 million for a Brossoit-esque backup, assuming one is available.
- rebuilding the defense: this is the shitty part. My calculation only includes the top pairing of Morrissey and Demelo + Samberg. We're going to need at least one top 4 guy in there, and hopefully someone to do work on the third pairing as well. Salomonsson could be one of the four, but will the team thing he's ready to go at 21? They sure haven't for other D prospects. Let's estimate that this costs us 8 million split between four guys, two of them being ELC types (4+2+1+1 AAV).

By relying on several prospects and optimising a little, we'll survive that offseason too. The team should remain pretty competitive, and if the cap keeps going up, we could end up with some room to play with. However, the defense will likely become worse for the second year in a row, and chances are that a 4 AAV defenseman isn't going to be capable of handling top 4 minutes in 2025.

The following offseason is another nightmare in the making: Connor, Lowry (almost a guaranteed overpayment coming up), Perfetti + a ton of ELCs expiring at once, and absolutely nothing else is coming off the books. This would be the first moment where extending Monahan starts to complicate matters: we're likely unable to get him on a two-year deal, so I'd imagine that Chevy and co. are going to see this as one of the more serious roadblocks between us and the extension. Depending on how the RFAs progress over the years, this could end up being the logical spot to part ways with Connor - whether the org wants to do it or not, that remains to be seen. If Monahan was the solution at 2C, it could even end up being a good tradeoff in the long run.
I agree with almost all of this. A few things I was thinking through while playing around of CapFriendly last night:

It's this off-season/next season that the cap crunch happens.

We can basically afford two of DeMelo, Monahan, Dillon and Toffoli and even that will be tight.

We have a ton more flexibility the off-season after this one coming up.

More middle-bottom of the lineup depth guys have expiring deals. Pionk, Schmidt ($12M) both expiring as well as Iafallo, Appleton, Namestnikov, Barron ($9.5). Would be nice to keep one or two of these guys but moving on is part of cap life.

If the Jets can leverage a one of their expendable prospects (Lucius, Barlow?) and/or picks to move out Nate and keep Dillon or Toffoli that could be a very smart play.

Reactions: WolfgangPuck

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I agree with almost all of this. A few things I was thinking through while playing around of CapFriendly last night:

It's this off-season/next season that the cap crunch happens.

We can basically afford two of DeMelo, Monahan, Dillon and Toffoli and even that will be tight.

We have a ton more flexibility the off-season after this one coming up.

More middle-bottom of the lineup depth guys have expiring deals. Pionk, Schmidt ($12M) both expiring as well as Iafallo, Appleton, Namestnikov, Barron ($9.5). Would be nice to keep one or two of these guys but moving on is part of cap life.

If the Jets can leverage a one of their expendable prospects (Lucius, Barlow?) and/or picks to move out Nate and keep Dillon or Toffoli that could be a very smart play.
At this point, I'd honestly lean towards massively overpaying DeMelo and letting the other three go for nothing. Ideal world, we don't need to overpay and get to keep someone else too. But I don't see any world in which we can replace Dylan with anything that's realistically going to be available - thus, overpay if needed.

Toffoli - as good as he is, we are not in a position to spend money on him. Any realistic deal for him will likely end up being a problem.

Dillon - keeping him probably requires dumping Schmidt or Pionk, and while Dillon is a nice-to-have piece, keeping him makes the 2025 offseason, which is the harder one to deal with, much tougher. Therefore, no go.

Reactions: Channelcat

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
At this point, I'd honestly lean towards massively overpaying DeMelo and letting the other three go for nothing. Ideal world, we don't need to overpay and get to keep someone else too. But I don't see any world in which we can replace Dylan with anything that's realistically going to be available - thus, overpay if needed.

Toffoli - as good as he is, we are not in a position to spend money on him. Any realistic deal for him will likely end up being a problem.

Dillon - keeping him probably requires dumping Schmidt or Pionk, and while Dillon is a nice-to-have piece, keeping him makes the 2025 offseason, which is the harder one to deal with, much tougher. Therefore, no go.

I'm a bit curious. From what I looked at it is this off season where things are tight money wise. 2025 off-season actually looks pretty good to me?

If anything these guys we can't afford to pay this offseason, we would have room for a couple more. So many variables so it's hard to explain.

when I go through and start re-signing guys in 2025 offseason I can end up at 8 figures in cap space based off of what we do in 2024.

Reactions: Krauser

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I'm a bit curious. From what I looked at it is this off season where things are tight money wise. 2025 off-season actually looks pretty good to me?

If anything these guys we can't afford to pay this offseason, we would have room for a couple more. So many variables so it's hard to explain.

when I go through and start re-signing guys in 2025 offseason I can end up at 8 figures in cap space based off of what we do in 2024.
I guess we could fit in another Dillon or Toffoli in 2025, especially if we have all of Chib/Lambert/Rutger in the roster, but the following offseason is still problematic with basically everyone looking for a raise. We're going to need to spend something on the defense anyway, but whether Dillon is the one to keep is another discussion entirely (and one that we probably won't know the answer to until June/July 2025).

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think when the Jets have a core piece willing to sign an extension, they take advantage of it. If both Ehlers and Monahan are willing this summer, it could be the end of Connor in a year from now.

Perfetti's (presumptive) bridge will expire at the same time Connor's deal is up.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think when the Jets have a core piece willing to sign an extension, they take advantage of it. If both Ehlers and Monahan are willing this summer, it could be the end of Connor in a year from now.

Perfetti's (presumptive) bridge will expire at the same time Connor's deal is up.
No way the Jets sacrifice Connor for Monahan (or Ehlers for that matter).

Also, I believe we have some cap relief coming after next season. I don't know that Pionk is in the cards to resign (and as much a I love him at this point why would we)

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Chevy is an old Chicago guy, he knows the drill when it comes to cap crunches.

You keep as many of your top guys as you can and you move out guys from the middle of the lineup.

No reason either of Ehlers or Connor need to go anywhere if they dont choose to. There is room for DeMelo and Monahan too if we choose to prioritize them.

The choice is how big of a price to we want to pay to offload the guys lower down the lineup that are taking up that space (Iafallo, Schmidt, and arguably Pionk)

Reactions: Mooche and Buffdog

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

You keep as many of your top guys as you can and you move out guys from the middle of the lineup.

No reason either of Ehlers or Connor need to go anywhere if they dont choose to. There is room for DeMelo and Monahan too if we choose to prioritize them.

The choice is how big of a price to we want to pay to offload the guys lower down the lineup that are taking up that space (Iafallo, Schmidt, and arguably Pionk)
I just worry about the ask from Connor. We've seen some big contracts for elite wingers recently.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

I've been thinking the same thing. Demelo is more of a "must have" while the others are luxuries. Considering how 44 has played with Demelo, it's a frightening proposition to be moving on without him.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No kidding. Except a panarin level talent will be worth 15m by then
If Chevy thinks Connor’s camp is looking for that type of money this offseason season is probably the time to move him with 2 years left on his current deal. I’m thinking the Jets hold their internal cap structure with the Helly and Scheifele deals and put their cap money towards depth over high priced wingers.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If Chevy thinks Connor’s camp is looking for that type of money this offseason season is probably the time to move him with 2 years left on his current deal. I’m thinking the Jets hold their internal cap structure with the Helly and Scheifele deals and put their cap money towards depth over high priced wingers.
I'd sooner keep him as a 2 year self rental even if we can't afford his next deal - the team is legit right now and I'd rather see Chevy double down on trying for the cup rather than maximizing value

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
They'd never move him with scheif still in his prime... I think things will depend on ehlers and monahan... I'd be surprised if monahan isn't at the top of chevys to do list actually

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Schmidt gone clears up a lot of room. I’m sure Chevy will explore this off season

We have to find a way to keep Monahan

Yeah based on the fwd group, Monahan is big priority over Toffoli. We will have options on the wing - example: Perfetti will be ready for consistent top-6 role; I’d argue he’s already ready for this type of role but I won’t go down that rabbit hole right now as that’s not the point of my post lol (and there are other prospects who could potentially evolve into top-6 wingers soon too). Wingers tend to be cheaper at trade deadline too vs centers. Center is a different beast and the 2C has to be sorted out to consistently win. I do think long term 2C may belong to Lambert, but he’s not there yet for at least a year maybe two years. By then the cap is higher, other contracts expire, new players on ELC, Lambert will be cheap for first couple years, etc. — all of that makes it such that you can have Monahan as a slightly over-priced 3C by year 3 of a likely-5y-contract (he would also frankly be an above-average 3C) who can play 2C if Lambert isn’t ready, in the event of injuries, etc. if somehow his cap his is a problem in years 4-5 w/ Lambert doing well, if Monahan is still performing well it’s a lot easier to move a center with just a year or two left on a contract. All that to say: Monahan is priority from a forward standpoint. Toffoli becomes a true rental for this year.

The other focus is on defence. I think the focus is to re-sign DeMelo. And if there is a way to magically keep both DeMelo & Dillon (along w/ Monahan), than that’s even better, but not sure how realistic that is - Chevy is pretty good at this stuff though!

I like Toffoli but I think he’s 4th on the re-signing priority list (Monahan/DeMelo as 1a & 1b priorities and Dillon rounding out the top-3 priority list).

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Connor isn’t Panarin. Not even close to the same tier.

Yeah I don’t think Panarin is a good comparator at all here. Scheifele is a center and worth way more than KFC (whether that’s positionally (a center vs. winger) or otherwise). And 55 just signed for 8.5m/y. I realize the cap will be higher, etc., but 11m is too high for KFC in my view. I think it will be interesting to see how Perfetti, Barlow, Lambert, Lucius, McGroarty develop over the next year or two and that will likely inform the decision on KFC.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't know about that.

I feel like there's this really wonky economy in NHL player assets. This unending thirst to get 'something' for players. Sometime, their long service is that thing they got.

If you bought a car - and sold it in 4 years, you'd get more for it than if you kept it for 8 - however, you'd also get 4 more year's service from it - which has value. You also have to replace the car which comes with it's own cost.

I wouldn't move on Connor early. I'd keep him right to the TD before UFA and if we looked to make noise in the playoffs I'd keep him as an own rental. One thing this would do is allow us to continue to develop the next crop so they can step right into that role. Guys like Lambert, Chibrikov, Perfetti will all be in a much better spot to replace Connors production than if we moved from Connor this offseason.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
They'd never move him with scheif still in his prime... I think things will depend on ehlers and monahan... I'd be surprised if monahan isn't at the top of chevys to do list actually

I think Chevy will do everything he can to keep Monahan. Our 2C has been an issue since literally 2018. Tried to keep Stastny, but he went to Vegas (I know he came back later but he wasn’t as good as he was in 2018 by then). Hayes as a rental performed sub-par. The Little injury.

Now we have someone who fits in well finally. I don’t think Chevy will want to let that go this time around. He would rather use those 1st round picks at the deadline for something else than the annual (or every other year) 2C rental hahaha.

Yeah I think there’s a solution where we can keep Monahan, DeMelo, and Dillon - but that solution involves moving some of those over-priced names that your mentioned, which won’t be “free” to offload lol. Should be an interesting offseason anyways.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think Chevy will do everything he can to keep Monahan. Our 2C has been an issue since literally 2018. Tried to keep Stastny, but he went to Vegas (I know he came back later but he wasn’t as good as he was in 2018 by then). Hayes as a rental performed sub-par. The Little injury.

Now we have someone who fits in well finally. I don’t think Chevy will want to let that go this time around. He would rather use those 1st round picks at the deadline for something else than the annual (or every other year) 2C rental hahaha.

Yeah I think there’s a solution where we can keep Monahan, DeMelo, and Dillon - but that solution involves moving some of those over-priced names that your mentioned, which won’t be “free” to offload lol. Should be an interesting offseason anyways.
Losing Bryan Little was a HUGE problem for us that doesn't really get talked about.

He may be the Jets 2.0 most underappreciated player. He was just really good at everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad