Confirmed with Link: Sean Monahan for a 2024 1st rd pick + conditional '27 3rd rd pick

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I wish I could like this post more than once. I agree with you, I'd like more friendly hockey conversations. Admittedly all teams have blow-hards, but if we ignore them, we can have good chats.

In fairness on PLD, Jets did still get a pretty good return, although objectively you weren't wrong and look at the results for LA.

Thanks for the good wishes. You and the other Habs fans who visited have been proven dead-on-the-money about Monahan. I was wondering what was going on at first because all I knew was that Calgary PAID Montreal a first to get rid of Monahan, how could Chevy PAY a first to take him?? But things have changed I guess (got past the injury woes) and he's been a great addition.
I bought in on Dubois malarkey about wanting to play for the Habs and now, I'm going to make a voodoo doll and douse it in poutine. Hot poutine.

There are rumours about Zegras trade to the Habs and I tried to start a honest conversation about him but all I'm getting is the usual nonsense.

One of my concerns for Monahan is that he needs to protect himself from playoff hockey. A few years ago when the Habs reached the finals, it was war. The roughest hockey I've seen the Habs play in a very long time. It's not the kind of team that Monahan would survive against but I don't think any playoff team this season is that brutal.

He's a smart player so I don't see him going onto corners for a survival joust with an ape, but he's also your 2C and he can't be protected or sheltered. I hope his linemates are smart enough not to put their passes in harms way or force him to retrieve the puck.

Good luck...

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I bought in on Dubois malarkey about wanting to play for the Habs and now, I'm going to make a voodoo doll and douse it in poutine. Hot poutine.

There are rumours about Zegras trade to the Habs and I tried to start a honest conversation about him but all I'm getting is the usual nonsense.

One of my concerns for Monahan is that he needs to protect himself from playoff hockey. A few years ago when the Habs reached the finals, it was war. The roughest hockey I've seen the Habs play in a very long time. It's not the kind of team that Monahan would survive against but I don't think any playoff team this season is that brutal.

He's a smart player so I don't see him going onto corners for a survival joust with an ape, but he's also your 2C and he can't be protected or sheltered. I hope his linemates are smart enough not to put their passes in harms way or force him to retrieve the puck.

Good luck...
If you look at Monahans injury history, most of it has to do with core injuries (hip/groin). He also had a wrist injury.

I don't think he's more prone to injury than the average player. He's not afraid to mix it up, and he's got good size.

I'm not worried about his health at all, and judging by his skating the past few weeks I think that hip is feeling really good for him.

I'm more concerned about a guy like nik ehlers getting hurt.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
initially was not super warm on the deal, however it is hard to argue how the Jets have performed with him on the ice, since Feb 6th:

1713379060058.png

a lot of the time was spent w/ ehlers, so inherently that will bleed into his stats. now will say if you were to look at this pre-Feb 6th, Namestnikov at 2C did produce pretty similarly to Monahan at 2C (v little differences in pts/60 and GF/60)

What do folks feel on re-signing him?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
initially was not super warm on the deal, however it is hard to argue how the Jets have performed with him on the ice, since Feb 6th:

View attachment 853876

a lot of the time was spent w/ ehlers, so inherently that will bleed into his stats. now will say if you were to look at this pre-Feb 6th, Namestnikov at 2C did produce pretty similarly to Monahan at 2C (v little differences in pts/60 and GF/60)

What do folks feel on re-signing him?
Natural Stat Trick's data shows that Monahan wasn't bad by any means even without Ehlers next to him (positive metrics across the board). However, I wouldn't be comfortable with re-upping him with Nik unsigned. Keeping both would be good, but Monahan cannot be the one interfering with Ehlers' extension.

Reactions: MardyBum

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Natural Stat Trick's data shows that Monahan wasn't bad by any means even without Ehlers next to him (positive metrics across the board). However, I wouldn't be comfortable with re-upping him with Nik unsigned. Keeping both would be good, but Monahan cannot be the one interfering with Ehlers' extension.
No wasn't bad at all. The line with Connor had a few great games. And I agree with the second part of your post for sure.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The first 10 pages of this thread are fkn hilarious.

The whole board either hated the trade or limped along barely on the fence...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The first 10 pages of this thread are fkn hilarious.

The whole board either hated the trade or limped along barely on the fence...
There are always more hate-it than love-it initial reactions because of loss aversion bias. The pain of losing something is twice as powerful as the pleasure of gaining something.

Anway, Monahan's pretty much surpassed the bar I set when Buffdog asked what people thought they'd need to see to deem the trade a success (better than Names as the C on Ehlers' line, and improve the powerplay...which I'd say he was and did).

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
At some point the org is gonna have to bite the bullet and commit to perfetti and/or Lambert at 2C. I don't see a long term solution there any other way

I like the idea of signing Monahan but we have Lambert and Rutger almost NHL ready for middle 6 roles. Signing monahan blocks one of them unless they plan on moving on from ehlers and/or Connor

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
At some point the org is gonna have to bite the bullet and commit to perfetti and/or Lambert at 2C. I don't see a long term solution there any other way

I like the idea of signing Monahan but we have Lambert and Rutger almost NHL ready for middle 6 roles. Signing monahan blocks one of them unless they plan on moving on from ehlers and/or Connor
Im just not sure Perfetti will ever be an NHL center, and Lambert/McGroarty are both 20 and likely a 2-3 years away from any truly meaningful top 6 contributions. If we can get Monahan for 3 years at around 5 mil per id do that all day long. Perfect place holder until the younger guys are ready.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
5x6 he's worth it

You don't throw away a known commodity just to check out prospects

Trade iafallo Schmidt guys like that - and be happy you have depth for callupe

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
5x6 he's worth it

You don't throw away a known commodity just to check out prospects

Trade iafallo Schmidt guys like that - and be happy you have depth for callupe
The problem with Monahan is that as he ages, he'll lose a step like everyone else. In his case, he doesn't have a step to lose

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The problem with Monahan is that as he ages, he'll lose a step like everyone else. In his case, he doesn't have a step to lose
So is this another one of your claims not backed up by 'analytics' haha... Monahan sure seems to have speed from my eye test - and his reads are off the charts.

Like I said, when he loses a step bump him down to 3c or 4c and make him a specialty face-off guy... I'd way rather have him mentoring Lambert than Scheif though

Reactions: Jet

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
iirc monahan is the 7th highest scoring fwd (probably all players) this UFA class.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Im just not sure Perfetti will ever be an NHL center, and Lambert/McGroarty are both 20 and likely a 2-3 years away from any truly meaningful top 6 contributions. If we can get Monahan for 3 years at around 5 mil per id do that all day long. Perfect place holder until the younger guys are ready.
I don't disagree, but I don't think he signs a three year deal. He'll want minimum five years and I think it would be wise to sign him to that as long as he's willing to stay here.

That gives you ample time to work more with Perfetti. I tend to be more patient (probably leaning to too patient) with players. I think how the Jets used Perfetti this year was a bit more than he was up to, but we had relatively little choice at the start of the year. I think if we look at the first half of the season his play was more than acceptable but perhaps not as a center. Perfetti is still getting used to the grind of an 82 game season I think and he's not quite there yet. I do expect him to bounce back and not have a prolonged slump next year.

Ideally you retain Monahan to fill the 2C role then continue to work with Perfetti to see if he can step into the role on a permanent basis. If he starts to excel, you can move Monahan to the wing, but I don't see that happening for a year or two more. Regardless if they're on a line together, you functionally have two centers which should allow them to be more aggressive on face-offs as there should be an effective draw man on the wing. Nice luxury.

If it doesn't happen with Perfetti, the five year deal gives you time to get Lambert/McGroarty into the lineup as well over time. Lambert definitely looked good in the Vancouver game but he still needs to grow into some physicality and some more time to cook. I'm not sure if any of the three younger guys will turn into a 1C, but we have some degree of hope at the position.

I'd say we have about five more seasons or so before we really need to fill that position, depending on how Scheifele ages. Getting Monahan for five years solidifies the C position for that time frame and at that point we'll likely be in a retooling phase anyway, bringing the current prospects into bigger roles.

I do think that signing Monahan likely means the Jets will move on from Ehlers. That will make me sad but wingers are easier to replace.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Let's do some cap math before the playoffs start. Better now than after some freaky 4-0 win/loss that is only going to spur irrational takes. I put the longer version of my post behind a spoiler tag to save space.

The short answer: I believe 5 AAV should be doable for now, but keeping him will 1) limit our options at D, and 2) likely cost us Connor in 2026. Lots of moving parts in play.

If we keep DeMelo (5 AAV, top priority among UFAs), bridge Perfetti (2.X AAV), and fill the rest of the lineup with ELCs or deals with similar AAVs, we'll have about fit Monahan in at around 3.5 AAV, mostly depending on Perfetti. We would be compliant with a 22-man roster, but the wiggle room would be non-existent. There wouldn't be any improvements to the defense, nor could we get a reliable backup for Helle. You could resolve that by trading an Iafallo or an Appleton, since we already have potential replacements in the A who need to be tested before they become waiver eligible in 25-26. Let's downgrade a pick to dump Iafallo and replace him with Chibrikov - enough space to keep Monahan at 4.5 AAV. There's room for more, but I'd hope we could get a discounted rate here.

We then come across another problem: the following offseason. We'll have a ton of UFAs expiring, which helps, but we'll also have key players needing extensions. Ehlers is a must-keep, and Vilardi will be the only relevant piece left from the Dubois deal - let's keep him too. Samberg needs a raise after stepping into Dillon's shoes in the top 4. Those three could easily warrant 17-18 million a year between them. That would leave us with 18-20 million to do the following:

- fill in the offense (5 spots): 90% of this is promoting Rutger and Lambert, and it's also going to be a cheap fix. If guys like Barron and Namestnikov are being kept, this probably costs 6-7 million in total.
- sort out the backup situation: say 2 million for a Brossoit-esque backup, assuming one is available.
- rebuilding the defense: this is the shitty part. My calculation only includes the top pairing of Morrissey and Demelo + Samberg. We're going to need at least one top 4 guy in there, and hopefully someone to do work on the third pairing as well. Salomonsson could be one of the four, but will the team thing he's ready to go at 21? They sure haven't for other D prospects. Let's estimate that this costs us 8 million split between four guys, two of them being ELC types (4+2+1+1 AAV).

By relying on several prospects and optimising a little, we'll survive that offseason too. The team should remain pretty competitive, and if the cap keeps going up, we could end up with some room to play with. However, the defense will likely become worse for the second year in a row, and chances are that a 4 AAV defenseman isn't going to be capable of handling top 4 minutes in 2025.

The following offseason is another nightmare in the making: Connor, Lowry (almost a guaranteed overpayment coming up), Perfetti + a ton of ELCs expiring at once, and absolutely nothing else is coming off the books. This would be the first moment where extending Monahan starts to complicate matters: we're likely unable to get him on a two-year deal, so I'd imagine that Chevy and co. are going to see this as one of the more serious roadblocks between us and the extension. Depending on how the RFAs progress over the years, this could end up being the logical spot to part ways with Connor - whether the org wants to do it or not, that remains to be seen. If Monahan was the solution at 2C, it could even end up being a good tradeoff in the long run.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think Monahan has decent speed, especially with the puck on his stick. I also think he's positionally excellent.

Ideally I'd like a 3 year deal but I don't think that's an option

Reactions: Buffdog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad