The Athletic - Boston Sean McIndoe (Down Goes Brown) has a question for Bruins fans

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Praying for “only” 10, reasonably hoping for under 11, preparing for over 12

At this point it almost seems like Sweeney knows he’s screwed and is secretly hoping Pastrnak gets injured and misses time. Anything to be able to justify playing hardball

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
You pay him. The other contracts will fall off, the cap will go up. If krejci and bergy come back, they can do bonus contracts again and keep pushing their $ down the road until they can be absorbed. You don't pay the complimentary pieces like Clifton when they UFA. Debrusk TBD on how they are doing next year.

Of course, all this becomes easy if they win the cup this year.

Reactions: BMC

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Since 2018 Pastrnal ranks:

Goals - 5th (2nd among wingers)
Points - 11th (6th among wingers)
P/GP - 10th (5th among wingers)

Panarin is a close comp at a $11.6 cap hit. If Pasta was willing to give Boston a discount then 8x11 is what I'd hope for. If he wants to be paid the most in the NHL though, do it and figure out the rest later.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Related, I don’t see Krejci or Bergeron retiring after this season. Both have at least 1-2 years left and I suspect they’re happier with this current coach. Zero reason this team can’t come back next year and be excellent if those two guys want to do it.

Depends on if their last game of the postseason is a win or not, I think.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury

Panarin is a close comp at a $11.6 cap hit. If Pasta was willing to give Boston a discount then 8x11 is what I'd hope for. If he wants to be paid the most in the NHL though, do it and figure out the rest later.
I believe this is a more realistic answer. I don't think Pasta is worth more than McDavid or Mackinnon. As much as we need to pay him, overpaying him is a big mistake too. Give him a comparable contract to Panarin.

Reactions: Gordoff

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

They must know he will sign. right?

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Sweeney put himself in a bad spot. Pasta is a great goal scorer, but he’s very one dimensional for a 12M dollar price tag. If the bruins were bad this year, I’d shop him at the deadline and get a kings ransom and feel good about it. But Sweenius can’t lose him for nothing so he basically has to pay the man whatever he wants.

I hate, hate, hate it.
But I’d do it.

My hope is he bends a bit. 8 x 11 per.
This is the year we will all appreciate just how insane it was that Bergeron and Marchand signed for what they signed for. Unreal if you think about what they could/should have been paid.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Sweeney put himself in a bad spot. Pasta is a great goal scorer, but he’s very one dimensional for a 12M dollar price tag. If the bruins were bad this year, I’d shop him at the deadline and get a kings ransom and feel good about it. But Sweenius can’t lose him for nothing so he basically has to pay the man whatever he wants.

This is the year we will all appreciate just how insane it was that Bergeron and Marchand signed for what they signed for. Unreal if you think about what they could/should have been paid.

Pastrnak is hardly a one dimensional goal scorer. Sure he's not amazing defensively, but he's a great playmaker, he's great on the PP, he's a play driver on his line and can generate offensive chances better than anyone on the team with his skating, stick handling, playmaking or shot.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
8/104, I do it.
Up to now, those big contracts (McKinnon got it after the SC Champ) are creating a depth roster problem. Toews and Kane since their big contract.....for example.. You can not lose him for nothing either. So at the end of the day, 88 will decide the amount and Boston will be stuck with it.

Reactions: RoccoF14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad