Prospect Info: Sean Malone (2013, 159th) – '18-19: Rochester #14 (AHL)

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I asked a Harvard hockey writer and he said Malone was battling an UBI for much of the season. That was the same injury that sidelined him early in the season that no one could find much print on. He did return to that February game that he limped off in, so I'm thinking that was a relatively minor thing since he finished the season. Shoulder, neck, back, wrist, hand? :dunno: :laugh:
Maybe all of the above!

I sent something to Brock Malone, the Assistant Director of Athletic Communications and Contact for Men's Hockey, again today. My money is on a sprained ankle after fetching and carrying groceries up stairs for a homebound elderly Crimson Supporter. Reward my optimism, Sean.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I asked a Harvard hockey writer and he said Malone was battling an UBI for much of the season. That was the same injury that sidelined him early in the season that no one could find much print on. He did return to that February game that he limped off in, so I'm thinking that was a relatively minor thing since he finished the season. Shoulder, neck, back, wrist, hand? :dunno: :laugh:
I got shot down due to hipaa/harvard rules regarding student-athlete protected health information.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Sean Malone had five assists in Harvards two-game sweep of Dartmouth this weekend.
He had two assists in a 7-0 win on Saturday and three assists in a 5-2 win on Sunday.
The two wins were Harvards first two games of the season.
Next weekend - Harvard hosts two - Yale on Friday and Brown on Saturday.

Update - with the two wins this weekend over Dartmouth - Malone and Harvard were rank #7 in Mondays USCHO Rankings.

Last edited:

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Great to see the Dark Horse off to a good start. Hears to hoping he stays healthy so we can see what kind of damage he can do in a full season.

Ball1374

Jun 1, 2008
Nashville, TN
Great to see the Dark Horse off to a good start. Hears to hoping he stays healthy so we can see what kind of damage he can do in a full season.

I tweeted Baker during the summer, and he said Malone was his dark horse prospect as well. He's been sneaky good, and this past weekend with 5A against Dartmouth has helped. I think he'll spend his last year at Harvard, which, I think, as long as he can stay healthy, can't hurt his development at all, especially considering he'd have another Beanpot to play in, along with a fairly competitive ECAC schedule against Quinnipiac, RPI, Clarkson, St. Lawrence, and Yale.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I tweeted Baker during the summer, and he said Malone was his dark horse prospect as well. He's been sneaky good, and this past weekend with 5A against Dartmouth has helped. I think he'll spend his last year at Harvard, which, I think, as long as he can stay healthy, can't hurt his development at all, especially considering he'd have another Beanpot to play in, along with a fairly competitive ECAC schedule against Quinnipiac, RPI, Clarkson, St. Lawrence, and Yale.

Fortunately he is a native Buffalo. Considering our depth at center-position in the organisation, Buffalo most likely isn't the easiest place for an underdog prospect. Him being a local guy might weight a bit in favor of him not looking elsewhere.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
quite a display by BU there. :laugh:
Yeah, it gets worse when you note the shots were 18-2 Harvard in the first and 30-9 in the waning seconds of the second currently .. BU had two Lane goals on only four shots at one point or the score wouldn't even be close. :laugh:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@Harvard_Hockey -

End of the 1st Period - @Harvard_Hockey with the 1-0 lead over @TerrierHockey. SOG are 18-2 Harvard #GoCrimson

Two quick goals to start the 2nd. Lane scores to tie it for Boston University - Harvard comes right back with @SeanMalone_13 on the other end. 2-1 Harvard.

And Harvard answers back again! Malone with his second of the night from Moy and Lloyd at 13:55. 3-2 Harvard #GoCrimson

Two periods in the book - Harvard up 3-2 on Boston University. Harvard with 30-9 SOG advantage. @SeanMalone_13 with 2 goals for Harvard #GoCrimson

Harvard currently leads Boston University 5-3 - halfway through the third period.

LaxSabre - WOW! Boston University scores three goals in 2:09 (3:58 left-2:54 left-1:49 left) and takes a 6-5 lead!
Final Score - Boston University 6 Harvard 5 - Sean Malone two goals for Harvard in the defeat.

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What's the prognosis for him like? 2-3 years in the AHL and see what happens?

He's only a junior. With us having lots of options for AHL forwards already, and Malone not exactly a UFA flight risk, no reason for him not to play his senior season before we make a decision on giving him a contract. I'd guess he gets one and we see what happens when he moves to the AHL.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Things truly got interesting in the third. Rob O’Gara, playing a puck in the corner, was sent head first into the boards by a Harvard player (LaxSabre - Sean Malone) No penalty was called. O’Gara remained on the ice, clutching his head, for several seconds. As he staggered to his feet, he turned and saw Harvard’s Sean Malone charging at him. The two collided before O’Gara turned and cross-checked Malone across the cheek. The game disqualification comes with a mandatory one-game NCAA suspension, which O’Gara must serve on Friday night at Colgate.

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20160206/ingalls-rink-crowd-helps-carry-yale-past-rival-harvard

LaxSabre - Harvard loses the third place game of the Beanpot to Northeastern 5-1.
Boston College and Boston University face-off in the championship game - on NESN - 7:30 pm ET - Go Boston College! (Sorry Jack!)

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Missed why he didn't play in the Crimson's last game. I don't see anything in a cursory web search.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Missed why he didn't play in the Crimson's last game. I don't see anything in a cursory web search.
Probably day-to-day with a LBI, as per the school's paper:
Through Friday’s first two acts, Sean Malone was the Crimson’s leading man.

In addition to his goal, the third-line center made a key block inside the Harvard crease to keep the Crimson up by one at the first intermission. He followed that up with an open ice hit on 6’7†Cornellian Christian Hilbrich in the second period.

Malone made an early exit, however, with a lower body injury in the third period. In his absence, Donato rotated three lines through the game’s later stages, but he feels optimistic about the health status of the Buffalo Sabres’ draft pick moving forward.

“He’s bouncing around, so hopefully it’s something he’ll be able to recover from, but I’m not sure about his availability for tomorrow night,†Donato said.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Malone sat out this weekend's games as well, but will have an extra week to recover as Harvard earned a bye in the ECAC tournament.
However, it will have to be without the Buffalo Sabres draft selection, who did not make the trip after injuring himself in a collision with Cornell’s Christian Hilbrich in the third period of last Friday’s home bout with the Big Red.

“I threw a hip-check, and you know, the guy was pretty big,†said Malone, who was seen donning crutches in the stands of the Bright on Saturday’s Senior Night. “He’s about 6’7â€. I took kind of a beating there on the side, but our plan is to get me back and ready to go for playoffs coming up.â€

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Malone returned to the Harvard lineup tonight, scored two goals vs RPI, and added the primary assist on another in a 5-2 win:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
He has skill and that certain... ****** bag factor that make him an interesting combination.

Really like his game. One of my favorite under the radar prospects. Would love to see him pan out as a nasty checking winger with some scoring punch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad