Player Discussion Sean Day

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Day at the time of the 2013 ohl draft was only the 4th player to be given exceptional status along with Taveres, Ekblad, McDavid to join junior early, he had and still has a vision for the ice, speed and an ability to put up points. His only question mark was his commitment to training and being physically fit, likely because he was so gifted he didnt need to early in life but joining the pros is different and he needs to be better in that regard. Hopefully he can turn it around, it would be a nice bonus for us.
Yeah I'm aware of all those things. He also skates around like he has no clue what he's doing and isn't particularly good at any aspect of actually playing defense. I'm focused on what he is now, not what he was thought to be many years ago. Even offensively, I see nothing special about his vision or his hockey sense. He makes plays by carrying the puck. I think his upside is John Moore, which would be great. His floor is a mediocre AHL player.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This organization should try moving him up to forward. His size and skating are good. I always think of Buff when I see a big guy with wheels and it worked for him.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Yeah I'm aware of all those things. He also skates around like he has no clue what he's doing and isn't particularly good at any aspect of actually playing defense. I'm focused on what he is now, not what he was thought to be many years ago. Even offensively, I see nothing special about his vision or his hockey sense. He makes plays by carrying the puck. I think his upside is John Moore, which would be great. His floor is a mediocre AHL player.

The last decent team he played on was in the ohl. Hajek looked mediocre until he got away from Hartford too. I'm not throwing him under the bus yet. Hartford was an utter mess, it's hard to sore with the eagles when you are hanging out with turkeys.

Reactions: free0717

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The last decent team he played on was in the ohl. Hajek looked mediocre until he got away from Hartford too. I'm not throwing him under the bus yet. Hartford was an utter mess, it's hard to sore with the eagles when you are hanging out with turkeys.
I'm not throwing him under the bus, either. Just making the observation that the thing that plagued him in junior hockey (lack of "hockey sense" in general) still plagues him at the professional level, and it's more glaring there. Can he turn it around? Sure. I said I see his upside as John Moore. That's not an insult. John Moore is 28 and has 500+ games and 110+ points in his NHL career. He skated in 61 games for the team that won the East. That's great. If you got that from a third round pick like Day, it's a home run. And again, his floor is a mediocre AHL defenseman--which is what he is now.

Reactions: Fixxer

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I still have a lot of hope for day, and it's not unwarranted. 14 points in 32 AHL games as an under 21YO for most of the season is damn good. it's not elite, but its good, and it shows he's got a ceiling that he can still reach

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
i never see him name when talking about our future D.

Did he fall off the face of the earth. Anyone have any updates on him?

He was never on planet Earth. He had a decent Traverse Tournament and people got excited, not recognizing that most of the players there are HOPING for an ECHL contract. Sucky AHLers (Stromwall, Kovacs, Parlett) tend to dominate there and the quote on Vesey after Traverse was, "never saw anyone dominate Traverse so much." But he is not a real prospect. He was mostly awful in the AHL, then was about AHL average for a few weeks at the end of the season, leading to renewed excitement. I'd be very surprised if he makes the NHL. Anything is possible, but hes very far from the NHL right now. I see no reason for him to get more attention than Fontaine.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013

I kinda agree with you on his upside and floor. I was hoping for more when he got drafted but in the 3 years ish since he doesn't seam to be making any major improvements. To be fair unless people are elite talents defenders take a little long to develop but he just isn't improving in a noticable way from someone who watches him play 5-7 times a year.

This 100% Hardford needs to become a major priority yesterday.

Reactions: haveandare

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This organization should try moving him up to forward. His size and skating are good. I always think of Buff when I see a big guy with wheels and it worked for him.

Bufyglien is not just a good skater that's big though. Dustin also has a hell of a shot and he's physical with a real nasty mean streak. Day doesn't have that kind of bomb and he doesn't play physical at all.

I might as well say I'm not a fan of Day's. I don't think he's made very much progress at all since we drafted him. He has tools--size, puck skills, skating but not really a toolbox. He's never been great defensively even at the CHL level and wonder of wonders he's not great defensively as a pro so far either. For all his puck skills and skating he's never been a big point producer either--including in the CHL--he was good the last year or so but nothing extraordinary which argues against him ever being a big point producer at the NHL level. He can take a hit but he's not a player that uses his body much to hit others. There is no one particular thing that he does really really well.

I have a lot more hope for Reunanen---they guy we drafted right after him.

Last edited:

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Bufyglien is not just a good skater that's big though. Dustin also has a hell of a shot and he's physical with a real nasty mean streak. Day doesn't have that kind of bomb and he doesn't play physical at all.
Well then he doesn't seem like he wants to be a player to me. You see guys all the time that are offensive players at lower levels reinvent their game as they progress. Why a 240 lb player would not play physically leaves me questioning his desire to make it to the next level.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Well then he doesn't seem like he wants to be a player to me. You see guys all the time that are offensive players at lower levels reinvent their game as they progress. Why a 240 lb player would not play physically leaves me questioning his desire to make it to the next level.

He could use his size as an asset. I'd be all for it. This isn't the 80's or 90's though either. A lot of players with size don't it. He got grandfathered into the CHL a year early because he was a really skilled player when he was 14/15 years old. There were family issues (his brother with a vehicular homicide went to prison) and team issues in Mississauga and he plateaued like at 17 years old. I think he's always looked at himself as a skill player though--not a grunt that grinds it out. The Rangers took a shot at him in the 3rd round--hoping that he'd find a toolbox but he never has.

Byfuglien is a unique guy too....and he is very capable of crossing a line and being really vicious----unpredictable and someone unpredictable is someone to keep an eye on whenever he's on the ice. There ain't too many around like him and he's got talent too.

Reactions: egelband

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Reactions: egelband

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He’s going to the echl . Likely best for a trade as he’s not getting past this new crop of prospects

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
He's on the roster, but not assigned to a camp group like everyone else (except Rykov, who has an ankle).

i have to assume he is hurt as well...otherwise why would they even invite him to camp, could just assign him to hartford camp

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'll take "Prospects I got excited about because there was nothing else to be excited about" for 800 Alex.
I'll take ......Clear as "day".......for a 800, Alex

What famous Beatles song was released in 1965?

Okay now I will take Clear as "day" for 1000. (The daily double!)

What NY Rangers farmhand probably won't ever play for the Rangers because he is believed to be akin to.........the previous answer?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Day scored 14 points in 46 AHL games last season?

I think he's referring to Day scoring all of his 14 points over a 32 game stretch. Day started in the ECHL--was called up--not doing much and then Hartford got hit by injuries and callups and he got to play more.....not that surprising that he got to play more when you have the likes of Zach Tolkinen, Matt Finn and Josh Wesley to fall back on. Day did do okay at least in some respects. He has tools--excellent size and is a very, very good skater. He handles the puck well. He's not physical though and not particularly good defensively.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
A little more background on Day. He started last year in Hartford and by everyones' accounts was terrible. He was then sent to Maine where he scored 15 points in 19 games and was named an ECHL All star. Rosters Announced for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic

He was called back up to Hartford and although he had a slow start, as Eco Bones said, he scored 14 points over his last 32 games. I heard him interviewed by Bob Crawford and Day said he felt overwhelmed at the start of the season and lost confidence. His excellent play in Maine helped him regain his confidence and he had a very good last part of the season even as Hartford stunk.

So which Sean Day will we see moving forward? If he builds on his play at the end of the year and the coaches show some confidence in him perhaps he can reach the upside that he has. He needs to show that he can play at a consistently high level.

I think we need to remember that we are talking about someone who is 21 years old and should mature as he ages. Not every 21 year old has the confidence and maturity they need a that age to reach their potential. I am not projecting Day as an NHL player. But I do think we need to give this time and see how this plays out and whether he can be an NHL player. As Eco Bones said, he has the physical tools. Whether he has the smarts to use his tools is the question.

I think he's referring to Day scoring all of his 14 points over a 32 game stretch. Day started in the ECHL--was called up--not doing much and then Hartford got hit by injuries and callups and he got to play more.....not that surprising that he got to play more when you have the likes of Zach Tolkinen, Matt Finn and Josh Wesley to fall back on. Day did do okay at least in some respects. He has tools--excellent size and is a very, very good skater. He handles the puck well. He's not physical though and not particularly good defensively.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
I'll take ......Clear as "day".......for a 800, Alex

What famous Beatles song was released in 1965?

Okay now I will take Clear as "day" for 1000. (The daily double!)

What NY Rangers farmhand probably won't ever play for the Rangers because he is believed to be akin to.........the previous answer?

8 Days a week 1964, Day Tripper 1965, A Day in the Life was 1967 I believe. Badfinger released Day after Day in 1971.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A little more background on Day. He started last year in Hartford and by everyones' accounts was terrible. He was then sent to Maine where he scored 15 points in 19 games and was named an ECHL All star. Rosters Announced for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic

He was called back up to Hartford and although he had a slow start, as Eco Bones said, he scored 14 points over his last 32 games. I heard him interviewed by Bob Crawford and Day said he felt overwhelmed at the start of the season and lost confidence. His excellent play in Maine helped him regain his confidence and he had a very good last part of the season even as Hartford stunk.

So which Sean Day will we see moving forward? If he builds on his play at the end of the year and the coaches show some confidence in him perhaps he can reach the upside that he has. He needs to show that he can play at a consistently high level.

I think we need to remember that we are talking about someone who is 21 years old and should mature as he ages. Not every 21 year old has the confidence and maturity they need a that age to reach their potential. I am not projecting Day as an NHL player. But I do think we need to give this time and see how this plays out and whether he can be an NHL player. As Eco Bones said, he has the physical tools. Whether he has the smarts to use his tools is the question.

Day came out of the 2016 draft and if one looks at the current Rangers roster we have 6 D prospects now from that draft. In order:

Libor Hajek 2nd round taken at 37 by Tampa Bay and traded to the Rangers
Ryan Lindgren 2nd round taken at 49 by Boston and traded to the Rangers
Adam Fox 3rd round taken at 66 by Calgary--later traded to Carolina and then traded again to the Rangers
Sean Day 3rd round at 81 by the Rangers
Tarmo Reunanen 4th round at 98 by the Rangers
Yegor Rykov 5th round taken at 132 by New Jersey and traded to the Rangers

5 of them are LD's and Fox is the RD and of all of them I would put Day right on the bottom. The other 5 IMO all have a real shot at making the Rangers out of training camp this year and I expect two of them will anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad