GDT: seacar

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
When looking at that stat some caveats are in order:

Regular season
  • No OT in the NHL at all between 1942 and 1983.
  • '83-'98: 5 minute 5-on-5 OT, then tie.
  • '99-2015: 5 min 4-on-4 OT, then tie or shootout.
  • '16-present: 5 min 3-on-3 OT, then shootout.

Necas has played in the NHL era where it's the easiest (possible) to score an OT goal. I'm noting that just to put things in a historical perspective, not to diminish what he's done for the Canes; he's won us a lot of games in OT.

No one has more in less games, not even close.

That said, Cole Caulfield has 6 in 130 career games which is unreal lol.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
No one has more in less games, not even close.

That said, Cole Caulfield has 6 in 130 career games which is unreal lol.

Oh, what Necas and Caulfield have done is impressive, no doubt. I'm just pointing out that when considering a ranking of "all time NHL" there's a bunch of NHL superstars that never even had an opportunity to score a regular season OT goal. And not only is scoring 3-on-3 easier, there's less players on a team "competing" for that goal in 3-on-3. Didn't mean to take anything away from Necas, just pointing out that when considering that stat "all time", the competition pool is a lot smaller than with some other stats.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He’s deadly in a situation where it’s really needed for us, I don’t really care about the historical perspective. Last year I think it got a little overlooked because we were crushing it most of the year. In moments like these where we are reeling a bit from our start it puts it into a little perspective how nice it is to have one of the deadliest 3v3 guys in the league playing for us.

Taking the extra guys off the ice gives him the freedom he needs to do what he wants, and give him the extra second he can exploit better than most. In these situations he’s up there with 97 and 29.

I don’t think he’s been a one trick pony though, he’s had many great late game moments since last season. It’s not just 3v3. He set up Koko last night with five minutes left, and to me he’s been making those plays late in games as much as he’s making the OT big play. For all the crap he takes he’s been very clutch in the regular season. He’s always someone that needs to find space, and there’s very little of that in the playoffs. I hope he figures that out for us, but it’s not like his regular season heroics aren’t needed - especially with the start we’ve had.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
He’s deadly in a situation where it’s really needed for us, I don’t really care about the historical perspective. Last year I think it got a little overlooked because we were crushing it most of the year. In moments like these where we are reeling a bit from our start it puts it into a little perspective how nice it is to have one of the deadliest 3v3 guys in the league playing for us.

Taking the extra guys off the ice gives him the freedom he needs to do what he wants, and give him the extra second he can exploit better than most. In these situations he’s up there with 97 and 29.

I don’t think he’s been a one trick pony though, he’s had many great late game moments since last season. It’s not just 3v3. He set up Koko last night with five minutes left, and to me he’s been making those plays late in games as much as he’s making the OT big play. For all the crap he takes he’s been very clutch in the regular season. He’s always someone that needs to find space, and there’s very little of that in the playoffs. I hope he figures that out for us, but it’s not like his regular season heroics aren’t needed - especially with the start we’ve had.
He's still at half the GP of most of the guys on that list. 30th isn't bad at all given the head start of time in the league most of those guys had in the history of 3-3.

If you go only since 2019-20 as Necas's first full season to roughly equalize the games played, he's tied for 2nd with Connor Mcf***ingDavid. He's really damn good at this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad