Trade: [SEA/NYG] Leonard Williams for 2024 2nd and 2025 5th

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Free agent after this season. $18 mill base salary to fit into the cap. Guess, they see a chance with SF struggles of late.

PHI, Dal in the East. Detroit in the North, NO in the South, SEA and SF in the west. still 1 more PO spot available. SEA probably is able to afford this move because they also own Denver's 3rd round pick, so it's a 15 or so difference in those draft positions most likely. Seattle clearly needs help in the interior of the DL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cap space in the NFL, unlike the NHL, rolls over, so after 8 weeks, that's 44% of the cap already. $10 mill left prorated. So, if they are eating $5-8 mill of that, that's less they can spend against the cap next season as the $10 mill would have rolled over.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Giants gave up a 3rd and 5th to get him and that was 5 years ago

Chris5225

Dec 29, 2019
Seahawks are still a couple of O-line pieces away from being a serious contender.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Getting Abe Lucas back will be a big help.

This trade will help the Hawks, even if I think a second rounder is a pretty steep price.
Does your opinion change based on the amount NYG is eating of the remaining $10 mill cap charges due on his base salary? He's a $1 mill per week charge. So, if the Giants eat half or more of that, it's under $5 mill for Seattle. Honestly, I can't ever really gauge NFL trades. Byard for a 5th and 6th. Some positions are premium, so you have to give up for them. Plus, contract status and cap hits are important considerations.

As for the OL, their starting group was to be Cross, Haynes, Brown, Lewis, and Lucas. But, they have had to use their 2 mid round picks Oluwatemi at C and sometimes at C, plus Bradford at Guard. And have had to dip into off the couch Peters at 41 to fill at RT.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Does your opinion change based on the amount NYG is eating of the remaining $10 mill cap charges due on his base salary? He's a $1 mill per week charge. So, if the Giants eat half or more of that, it's under $5 mill for Seattle. Honestly, I can't ever really gauge NFL trades. Byard for a 5th and 6th. Some positions are premium, so you have to give up for them. Plus, contract status and cap hits are important considerations.

As for the OL, their starting group was to be Cross, Haynes, Brown, Lewis, and Lucas. But, they have had to use their 2 mid round picks Oluwatemi at C and sometimes at C, plus Bradford at Guard. And have had to dip into off the couch Peters at 41 to fill at RT.

I was already pretty good with it. The amount of retention was necessary for SEA to even make the trade, far as I know and cost them a higher pick. The help up front will be welcome, though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I was already pretty good with it. The amount of retention was necessary for SEA to even make the trade, far as I know and cost them a higher pick. The help up front will be welcome, though.
Easier to give up the #2 when Seattle owns Denver's 3rd which should be in the top 10 of round 3. Seattle's 2nd likely in the bottom 10 or so of round 2. For that difference, (I'm assuming Seattle tried to only give up a #3, either Denver's or theirs), but to secure that cap space, probably worth the extra 15 or so draft positions.

Reactions: sigma six

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad