Confirmed Trade: [SEA/COL] Tomas Tatar for 2024 5th round pick

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I was about to come in and shit on the Kraken for providing cap relief to the Devils without making it worth Seattle's while thinking Tatar makes like $4 million against the cap. Surprised to see he only makes $1.5 mil. Nothing to lose here for the Kraken.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He’s always been one of those guys that analytics have totally flattered. He’s been a good player, don’t get me wrong. But I definitely thought his possession play would fit well with Colorado, at least in the regular season.

He’s been useless. Could also just be a very, very finesse oriented player never know for grit has just aged out of his useful NHL lifespan. Drouin looks like a gritty power forward compared to Tatar.

It was a low risk move though. It didn’t work so the page is turned. The Avs scouts have absolutely zero chance of turning that 5th into anything useful (they will pick some obscure overage goalie from Russia or a BCHL defenseman not in anybody’s top 300) so they basically just have him away.

It just never really seemed like a fit to me. He doesn't play with remotely the same intention as the Avs system kind of demands. Pace, aggressiveness, directness. He's gone none of those. :laugh:

They really did try to patchwork a huge portion of their roster together with cheap to acquire stopgaps in a whole, "misfit toys" approach. Thinking that at least something would stick. But that hasn't altogether worked.

Who said it was a "steal"??? Avs fans???🤣

All the threads this summer, incredulous that this guy wasn't signed yet. Applauding the cheap price when he finally did sign. There's a very large contingent who just couldn't seem to believe that Tatar is not a highly in demand player around the league. Just seeing it as a free 20G-50pts or whatever. It was very much a thing.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Yeah the whole tatar to pacioretty deal cost quite a few assets.

It was like a 1st, 2nd, 3rd for Tatar and then later on, they trded Tatar and Suzuki for Pacioretty.

Crap trades that pretty much amounted to nothing. Pacioretty was useful, but always seemed to get injured and disappeared in the playoffs.

At least the Knights won the cup, but our center depth would be better if Suzuki was on it.

Lets see how Tatar does for Seattle.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It was like a 1st, 2nd, 3rd for Tatar and then later on, they trded Tatar and Suzuki for Pacioretty.

Crap trades that pretty much amounted to nothing. Pacioretty was useful, but always seemed to get injured and disappeared in the playoffs.

At least the Knights won the cup, but our center depth would be better if Suzuki was on it.

Lets see how Tatar does for Seattle.
When you add it all together, the Knights gave up more for Pacioretty than any trade in modern history, because you have to add in the 3 picks they gave up for Tatar.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Happy that management made the right business move and shipped him out. Clearly it wasn't working. Most GMs wouldn't swallow their pride after a signing a player and trading him just 29 games later. Glad they are business > feelings, like moving on from EJ.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It really didn't work out for him with the Avs. Admittedly I thought he'd be an excellent fit for us but I think it's clear now just how much of an impact Hischier had on him last year.

Oh well, basically turned out to be a free 5th round pick for us so still can't complain about that and now we have some more space for whatever the next plan is.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I was about to come in and shit on the Kraken for providing cap relief to the Devils without making it worth Seattle's while thinking Tatar makes like $4 million against the cap. Surprised to see he only makes $1.5 mil. Nothing to lose here for the Kraken.
Devils?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm curious what the Avs do with that cap space now and if they do anything.

It was rumored just a few weeks ago that we were looking to add some more scoring depth, so this really fells like a pre-cursor move to something else honestly. Tatar didn't work out but that doesn't really change the fact we still need help on our 2nd line. RyJo has been a massive disappointment and Drouin has looked fantastic but the points aren't following his play so far.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
He also wasn't on the Devils anymore, but the Avs.

Obligatory:

1702692170077.png

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce