Trade: [SD/NYY] Juan Soto and Trent Grisham for Michael King, Drew Thorpe, Jhony Brito, Randy Vásquez, and Kyle Higashioka.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I mean, King has pitched pretty damn good the last two years. Even 3 years ago his numbers were good. Somewhat limited innings but the Yankees were stretching him out and priming him to start for this upcoming year. It’s not an eye popping package but a solid return considering the situation and number of teams that were a fit. Padres got what they wanted and were able to shed the salary they were looking to do. Value wise the Yankees did well but this will all come down to what happens after this season with Soto.

Soto - Judge is a great 1-2 punch in a lineup (or 2-3 I guess) but the rest of that lineup is pretty uninspired.
At bat, Torres was a top 5 2B last season. Volpe should improve a lot. Verdugo is not a great player, but he is a little above average.

Guys like Rizzo and Stanton cannot do worst than last year.

The lineup is a little too old, but it has potential for a lot of production.

Reactions: Voight

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
At bat, Torres was a top 5 2B last season. Volpe should improve a lot. Verdugo is not a great player, but he is a little above average.

Guys like Rizzo and Stanton cannot do worst than last year.

The lineup is a little too old, but it has potential for a lot of production.
Torres is fine.

Verdugo is OK.

DJ is showing his age. Rizzo is showing his age. Stanton is a corpse. Volpe might/should improve but he’s also an elite out machine. Catcher is I don’t even know.

If all goes well then the lineup has potential to be good but there are far more uncertainties and question marks than you’d like. Especially considering Judge also has injury concerns. Soto helps as another elite talent but wouldn’t be shocked if the offense isn’t much better than last year.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Torres is fine.

Verdugo is OK.

DJ is showing his age. Rizzo is showing his age. Stanton is a corpse. Volpe might/should improve but he’s also an elite out machine. Catcher is I don’t even know.

If all goes well then the lineup has potential to be good but there are far more uncertainties and question marks than you’d like. Especially considering Judge also has injury concerns. Soto helps as another elite talent but wouldn’t be shocked if the offense isn’t much better than last year.
Verdugo is clearly an upgrade compared to the crap the Yankees were putting in the lineup towards the end of the year. He is nothing great, but a good depth piece.

Torres should continue to bring positive value.

Rizzo should be fully healthy so I expect a return to norm. Sure, he is older, but he cannot do worse than last year.

Stanton, yeah, I have no hope either.

Catcher should be Wells.

Volpe was a 20/20 batter last year and should improve in other areas (walking more, more hits, etc). He is the biggest "boom" potential in the lineup. He might not be a difference maker yet, but he can get there. But, yeah, it is a question mark.

I think Dominguez will provide the biggest boost when he returns.

As you said, there are a lot of question marks, but being as putrid as last year would be a tough feat.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Verdugo is clearly an upgrade compared to the crap the Yankees were putting in the lineup towards the end of the year. He is nothing great, but a good depth piece.

Torres should continue to bring positive value.

Rizzo should be fully healthy so I expect a return to norm. Sure, he is older, but he cannot do worse than last year.

Stanton, yeah, I have no hope either.

Catcher should be Wells.

Volpe was a 20/20 batter last year and should improve in other areas (walking more, more hits, etc). He is the biggest "boom" potential in the lineup. He might not be a difference maker yet, but he can get there. But, yeah, it is a question mark.

I think Dominguez will provide the biggest boost when he returns.

As you said, there are a lot of question marks, but being as putrid as last year would be a tough feat.

A lot of 'should be' comments in your post. It's far from certainty that many/any of those things happen. That's why it's not an inspiring outlook. Could it happen? Yes. Is it likely? Who knows. Volpe could not progress. Rizzo, may not bounce back. Dominguez has played 8 MLB games. Wells has played 19.

It's unlikely that all of these question marks turn out to have good-great years. I expect them to be better than last year but again, it's far from a great looking lineup on paper right now.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Soto is overrated. Won't be worth whatever he is paid.

fWAR leader since 2019 (Sotos first full season)

1. Mookie Betts
2. Aaron Judge
3. Freddie Freeman
4. Jose Ramirez
5. Juan Soto

Top 10 in MVP voting every season except 2022.

How is he overrated?

Hes also going to be one of the few players actually worth a 10 or 12 year contract, given his young age.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
fWAR leader since 2019 (Sotos first full season)

1. Mookie Betts
2. Aaron Judge
3. Freddie Freeman
4. Jose Ramirez
5. Juan Soto

Top 10 in MVP voting every season except 2022.

How is he overrated?

Hes also going to be one of the few players actually worth a 10 or 12 year contract, given his young age.
He’s Dominican, though. So how long until it’s revealed that he’s actually 2 years older?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad