Trade: [SD/NYY] Juan Soto and Trent Grisham for Michael King, Drew Thorpe, Jhony Brito, Randy Vásquez, and Kyle Higashioka.

Sep 19, 2008

yes-jack-nicholson.gif

• Love
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Is Soto still all but confirmed heading to free agency though?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
That’s a solid package for San Diego to get back keeping in mind they paid a ton for Soto in the first place.

Yankees better hope he re-signs or that’s a lot to give up for one year. Still quite a bit of work to do on that roster to make it competitive but some big high end pieces are in place.

Reactions: SoupNazi

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Baseball is better when the Yanks make big moves.

Meh, the lights of NYC and Steinbrenner's cheque book might change his mind.

Isn't he a Boras guy? Yanks might have to give him more than Judge to keep him from testing it. That's not to say he might not end up choosing NY in the end, but I'd bet on him trying his luck.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
not a bad return for SD, but what an awful year its been for them both on and off the field

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Isn't he a Boras guy? Yanks might have to give him more than Judge to keep him from testing it. That's not to say he might not end up choosing NY in the end, but I'd bet on him trying his luck.

He is, and yea Soto will get paid regardless. But I don't see the Yanks giving all this up and not signing him. Even if ti costs more than Judge. He'll be 26 next off season, so he's well worth a 10+ year deal.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

Sounds like a Miggy to Detroit trade 2.0. A rising superstar only in his mid-20s getting traded for a package of prospects that will never come close to all-star level
Not really comparable. Michael King was pitching like a star caliber pitcher after the Yankees made him a starter very late in the season.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Gotta be happy if you’re a Yankees fan. King is ok but a UFA in two years, Thorpe is underrated, and then a bunch of nothing.
I mean, King has pitched pretty damn good the last two years. Even 3 years ago his numbers were good. Somewhat limited innings but the Yankees were stretching him out and priming him to start for this upcoming year. It’s not an eye popping package but a solid return considering the situation and number of teams that were a fit. Padres got what they wanted and were able to shed the salary they were looking to do. Value wise the Yankees did well but this will all come down to what happens after this season with Soto.

Soto - Judge is a great 1-2 punch in a lineup (or 2-3 I guess) but the rest of that lineup is pretty uninspired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad