Scouting Reports on '07 USA's?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Funny I was just watching a game I had on tape of Team USA at this years U-17's. Ian Cole and Kevin Shattenkirk looked good on defense, van Riemsdyk seemed to be the top forward but I'd like to see how Justin Vaive turns out once he gets used to that big frame of his (takes guts to wear #66)

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
I think the Wisconsin game is the only one X-Sharkie saw of the U-18s all year. One game doesen't mean anything. Okay O'Brien looked good in that game, yes he is a good player but one game really doesen't mean anything. You thought Williams was better than Johnson because he outperformed EJ in that game, one game of the whole year. It seems as if you think you can judge all these players off the single Wisconsin game you saw.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Who's available? I've heard of guys like Petrecki and O'Brien. Is it a strong class? Anywhere near last years? Any scouting reports? Thanks alot.

Don't expect a repeat of the 06 draft. Petricki is a lock for a top 10 pick right now but his offensive game (or lack of it) will prevent him from being viewed as another E.J. - though he is a rock defensively. There is a chance that Van Reimsdyke or O'Brien could also go in the top 10, though neither of them are a sure thing.

Last edited:

X-SHARKIE

I think the Wisconsin game is the only one X-Sharkie saw of the U-18s all year. One game doesen't mean anything. Okay O'Brien looked good in that game, yes he is a good player but one game really doesen't mean anything. You thought Williams was better than Johnson because he outperformed EJ in that game, one game of the whole year. It seems as if you think you can judge all these players off the single Wisconsin game you saw.

I see your point, if it was the case, but I did see O'Brien, Nigel and the rest of the U-18's much more than just once. I saw them three times live on a mid-western swing but Wisconsin won the title so I thought it was a good gauge of these players, i've also seen these kids on tape internationally at both U-18's last year and at the Four Nations. I never said Nigel Williams was better than EJ..far from it.., but on Nigel's best nights (as in Madison) he looked pretty dang good and the gap from him and EJ (this was before the WJC's) wasn't that big at that point... obviously with the WJC's, and the U-18's in April...it's obvious who is better...but Williams is still a darn fine prospect and one poor tourney doesn't take away from that....I've said that EJ could be a Phaneuf like defenseman, where Williams could be a Brent Burns defenseman... I'm not saying Williams will be better but I like his intangibles and he's still a fine prospect. As for O'Brien, i'm not going by one game here, I've seen him a half dozen times and most scouts would agree with me that he has some big power forward/ play making upside to his game...he's rather lanky but once he hads bulk he could be a force. In fact in the USNTDP vs. MSOE game I also saw, O'Brien was the top forward besides Kane that night and Williams put together another strong performance.

Am I judging these guys on one game? no way, but is it fair to give a player props for performing well against the nations top team? Yeah, so why can't I?

Last edited:

The Big E

Oct 5, 2005
Minneapolis
If you want to track Minnesota kids with potential, my Dad's got a website. The sites strongest suit is the amount of historical info he's accumulated, but he posts a bit about kids to watch now and again. The site is:

www.mnpuck.com

and the specific page about kids with still a year (or two) left in High School is at:

mnpuck.com/watched_for_players,_boys.htm

There are some, like Chris Hickey and Aaron Marvin, who are already drafted, but ...

Later,

The Big E

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
scary isn't it?
The Gophers should be a very exciting team to watch including a roster of top prospects.

You can watch Minnesota throughout North America every Friday and Saturday night this winter on DirectTV channel 641 Fox Sports North.

6jagr8

Aug 25, 2005
O'Brien is awesome, never seen petrecki, look forward to seeing him in international play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad