Speculation: Scott Sandelin?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They actually interviewed Sandelin before they hired Vigneault.

I can't say it would shock me, but, man, his teams are a snoozefest even though they win. He's found a niche that works at the NCAA level, but I'm skeptical it would translate and I'd be bored to death finding out.

FlyerEra2010

May 20, 2010
Lakeville, MN
I would be excited about it, so it's probably not happening. He does fit the former Flyer requirement though and you know "the advisors" are always psyched about that. I know Hakstol scarred us, but I'm not opposed to college coaches forever now. I like to think of it like the next one can't possibly be as bad as the first, you know?

That being said, Chuck Fletcher knows he has to win next season or his job is gone. I would be shocked if we don't get another retread hire personally.

Nykoluk8

Mar 25, 2022
North Dakota was a always a powerhouse. Sandelin built UMD from the ground up. While I get the "snoozefest" , it wins and his usa jr teams were anything but.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
North Dakota was a always a powerhouse. Sandelin built UMD from the ground up. While I get the "snoozefest" , it wins and his usa jr teams were anything but.
I'd give him a chance. He deserves respect for his NCAA achievements.

But I think most NHL coaches these days are roughly the same with limited marginal impact -- Sine curve type situation -- so I'd prefer one with a more entertaining personality and/or brand.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I'd give him a chance. He deserves respect for his NCAA achievements.

But I think most NHL coaches these days are roughly the same with limited marginal impact -- Sine curve type situation -- so I'd prefer one with a more entertaining personality and/or brand.
yeah, we need to go big with a head coach this summer not another college coach.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
Like always the way to go in sports is find the hidden gem who hasn’t won yet. (Doug Pederson, Charlie Manual). Most great organizations understand this.

Taking the lazy retread route of poaching a guy who won a championship or reached the Finals elsewhere elsewhere doesn’t usually work. (Cough Doc Rivers, Alain Vigneault)

Unless you are hiring the literal GOAT of your sports- Phil Jackson, Scotty Bowman, Most guys don’t win in more than 1 place

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
1648221175750.png

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They're not going to take that big of a risk. It's going to be either Tortorella, Tocchet, maybe Montgomery since they have the connections.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't like college coaches, period. How many worked out in the NFL? Who has done so in the NHL?
I'd look for a successful AHL coach with a track record of coaching up prospects, or take a chance on a SHL coach with a top pedigree.
No veteran NHL retreads - if they were that good, they wouldn't be available.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I liked this but I don't like this.
I often use the like button as an acknowledgement of the point.

I think the biggest issue with college coaches coming straight to the NHL as evidenced by Hakstol and then David Quinn, is that they are fixated on depth players having such a low ceiling because they do very specific things, maybe one, very well, because that's how a lot of depth players on college teams make and stay on their teams.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Like always the way to go in sports is find the hidden gem who hasn’t won yet. (Doug Pederson, Charlie Manual). Most great organizations understand this.

Taking the lazy retread route of poaching a guy who won a championship or reached the Finals elsewhere elsewhere doesn’t usually work. (Cough Doc Rivers, Alain Vigneault)

Unless you are hiring the literal GOAT of your sports- Phil Jackson, Scotty Bowman, Most guys don’t win in more than 1 place
it's not lazyness, it's those types arent easy to find, if you look at other teams that have gone the college routes, it hasnt worked, you need someone that's good in every level, college, ahl, nhl. cooper won it all over.

you go with what's best out there until you find someone is like a cooper type of coach, we dont have that and to win now, we cant go with a rookie head coach.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
yeah, we need to go big with a head coach this summer not another college coach.
They probably will, because with the pressure from ownership for a quick turnaround they can’t afford to take much risk. Hire an unknown & get off to a bad start, & it’s gasoline on a fire.

But one other angle I could see is that if this is going to be a mostly young team, & it probably is even with a UFA addition, they might want to model themselves around the overall youthful energy of the 84/85 Flyers.

That would require finding a young Keenan, which won’t be easy.

And a longtime NCAA coach or NHL assistant doesn’t fit that mold, even if they’ve never been an NHL HC.

Reactions: tucson83

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
So who's the next Keenan?

Ryan Warsofsky? Spencer Carbery? Louis Robitaille?

Maybe one of them. Maybe none. But are they in position to take the chance?

I'd interview them, and if one blew me away the way Keenan crushed his interview, then I'd go for it. But it's not my job on the line with ownership breathing fire.

Much more likely it's Torts, Montgomery, Maurice, or Julien, who are all proven good coaches in the NHL.

Reactions: tucson83

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
For me, I'd look at the teams that are the best coached ones in the League and see if one of their assistants is ready for a HC job. That would mean looking at Sutter's staff and Cooper's. Maybe Kirk Muller is ready for another go around or Jeff Halpern? The club needs someone who knows how to win in today's game and do well with today's athletes. Sutter and Cooper check off those boxes.
The game seems to have passed by guys like Torts (entertaining but wears out his welcome awfully fast), Montgomery(has had his off of the ice issues), Maurice (walked away from his team; burned out?), or Julien (just no). And no to any coach with ties to the Wild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad