Player Discussion: Scott Mayfield

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
would it really be eating crow when, even if mayfield turns out to be a solid player, that he never brought in a coaching staff to develop him properly?

makes you start to go down the rabbit hole of "what if we had a decent coaching staff?" how would many of our top picks of the past several years turned out?

I always think of Kyle Okposo with regards to coaching. Not so much his offensive game, but his defensive and poor turnovers. Bailey would probably have accomplished more sooner.

But I’ll never understand Brian Strait. It’s as if they felt mandated to play him (in big minutes at times) just because he had a contract?! Dmento, Indeed!

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Hope he plays well enough for Seattle to want to pick him. Saves us from losing other major assets.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
He’s hot and cold. When he’s bad, he’s committing egregious turnovers, when he’s good he’s physical, keeps it simple, plays in his range, makes solid outlets. He hasn’t found an in between.

Reactions: bigtim1988

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I feel that Johnston can be the O version of Mayfield. I hope he gets a real opportunity. He could be a solid fourth liner for years.

Most successful teams have a few players like this on their team-gus who keep it simple, play hard and can be successful in the playoffs, when games get more physical

Reactions: beach

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I liked this guy the moment i first saw him play...was very raw, but the potential...and now...starting to develop into what may very well be a solid 5

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
This was how zdeno Chara was, big, uncorduncoord but he started doing some nice things offensively that we're not expected...he needs a off-season with that female skating coach that gets all the good reviews

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I always think of Kyle Okposo with regards to coaching. Not so much his offensive game, but his defensive and poor turnovers. Bailey would probably have accomplished more sooner.

But I’ll never understand Brian Strait. It’s as if they felt mandated to play him (in big minutes at times) just because he had a contract?! Dmento, Indeed!

I don't know it works both ways. For instance Barzal and Eberle were so much better last season. Lee hasn't changed much and Pulock has declined offensively. Great coaching has turned Hickey into anything more than a bottom pairing player. Robin Lehner numbers are similar. Coaches can have a great effect but in the end talent wins out.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
OMG. Time heals all wounds and leaves us with the fond memories. Yeah right. This was Brian " The Warrior" Strait who has only played 5 NHL games in the 2+ seasons since he left us .He has played 170 of 187 NHL games in our sweater . Still only 30 years old . He was Cappys pet. This guy was one of the worst Dmento ever play for us. Go back and find his threads in here .

I was going to edit Dmento as it was supposed to read Dmen to but for Strait it actually is Dmento
Strait wasnt very good.
Rich Pilon was pretty bad also.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Can't believe he's leading dmen in points lol

In large respects it speaks to how inept offensively our D corp has been but one thing I think he does better than everyone is gets pucks to the net. Doesn't have the bomb Pulock has but at least its to where it can sneak thru on its own or be deflected by a forward or an opposing players skate.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
In large respects it speaks to how inept offensively our D corp has been but one thing I think he does better than everyone is gets pucks to the net. Doesn't have the bomb Pulock has but at least its to where it can sneak thru on its own or be deflected by a forward or an opposing players skate.

Mayfield walks the line better than anyone on the team. As marginal as the talent and instincts might be, he gets that part as right as Brent Burns in knowing how to create space to get the shot through.

Reactions: BTrotts19

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Mayfield walks the line better than anyone on the team. As marginal as the talent and instincts might be, he gets that part as right as Brent Burns in knowing how to create space to get the shot through.

He doesn't wind up for a huge shot every time, just flings wristers at the net and creates a lot of chances. More defensemen need to do that.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

He's a deceptive skater too, given his size, which makes his pinching more effective than someone like Hickey. OT, but god damn I can't believe how bad of a skater Hickey is.

Mayfield is good at walking the line and also faking at the line to get to the next level of defense -- and then he makes a quick decision to get the puck on net. I think this is why he's getting points right now. Leddy, for example, can break levels of defense better than anyone, but is like a deer in headlights once he does that. Pulock, on the other hand, has more offensive instinct and talent, but just needs the offensive game to slow down a bit for him (you can see it happening on the defensive side). The play he made to set up Cizikas for the GWG is something you rarely see Leddy do even though he can create that kind of space for himself multiple times a game. That's why over a long enough timeline, Pulock will lead the defense in points. If Leddy would make a quicker decisions and just throw pucks at net after creating space as he does so easily, we'd see so many points from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad