Proposal: Scott Mayfield to VAN

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks fan coming in peace. With the upcoming expansion draft, Mayfield is the guy y'all will be losing without any kind of side deal with Seattle or trading him to another team. That side deal would have to be pretty worthwhile for Seattle because their next best option would be Bellows or Aho. I would assume rather than pay to have Seattle take one of those guys or lose Mayfield for nothing, the Islanders would rather get an asset back worth more trading him and losing one of Aho/Bellows.

What would it take to get Mayfield for the Canucks? Would our 2nd plus a C+ prospect like Gadjovich work? Its very unlikely Seattle claims him over Bellows or Aho

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Isles are already struggling with depth on the backend. Mayfield and his affordable contract isn't going to be the guy to move. Not to mention, i wouldn't be surprised if he's protected. Depends on whether he can adjust to a partner not named Toews this season.

Easier to protect him than someone like Leddy.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Isles are already struggling with depth on the backend. Mayfield and his affordable contract isn't going to be the guy to move. Not to mention, i wouldn't be surprised if he's protected. Depends on whether he can adjust to a partner not named Toews this season.

Easier to protect him than someone like Leddy.
oh dang so Leddy is the odd man out and the Islanders are more likely to protect Mayfield, Pulock and Pelech?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
oh dang so Leddy is the odd man out and the Islanders are more likely to protect Mayfield, Pulock and Pelech?
Feels that way to me. That'd be my call anyway. Only thing is Trotz loves Leddy. I just think his salary vs. His play, he'll be unprotected. Think his contract is up end of season 2022 making it less likely he'll be protected, or chosen for that matter.

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

Yes, for a team up against the salary cap, barring any unforeseen changes, many assume that the Isles will expose Leddy and perhaps a high-priced forward, as an easy means to free up cap space.

Seattle should have their pick of quality, yet overpaid, defensemen so there is a good chance that maybe they opt to take an Isles forward. But unlike the last expansion draft, the Isles shouldn't be too worried about who they will lose this time, circumstances have definitely changed in a flat-cap world.

If the Isles lose Leddy in expansion, it will free up money to sign a veteran placeholder on the cheap to compete with some of the prospects. LHD is probably the deepest position in the Isles system with Bolduc, Aho, Salo, Vande Sompel and Wotherspoon all in the fold.

Mayfield is an inexpensive RHD, who will presumably hold the spot down until Bode Wilde or, maybe, Grant Hutton emerge. And then, if a player can displace Mayfield, I assume Mayfield would be packaged in a larger deal to try and fill our glaring need of one more top-six forward.

Reactions: bstash19 and Sheva7

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Yes, for a team up against the salary cap, barring any unforeseen changes, many assume that the Isles will expose Leddy and perhaps a high-priced forward, as an easy means to free up cap space.

Seattle should have their pick of quality, yet overpaid, defensemen so there is a good chance that maybe they opt to take an Isles forward. But unlike the last expansion draft, the Isles shouldn't be too worried about who they will lose this time, circumstances have definitely changed in a flat-cap world.

If the Isles lose Leddy in expansion, it will free up money to sign a veteran placeholder on the cheap to compete with some of the prospects. LHD is probably the deepest position in the Isles system with Bolduc, Aho, Salo, Vande Sompel and Wotherspoon all in the fold.

Mayfield is an inexpensive RHD, who will presumably hold the spot down until Bode Wilde or, maybe, Grant Hutton emerge. And then, if a player can displace Mayfield, I assume Mayfield would be packaged in a larger deal to try and fill our glaring need of one more top-six forward.
ahh okay I thought he was the odd man out. He seems like an ideal partner for Hughes. Sadly it doesn't seem like theres a deal here. Thanks for the input

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Canucks fan coming in peace. With the upcoming expansion draft, Mayfield is the guy y'all will be losing without any kind of side deal with Seattle or trading him to another team. That side deal would have to be pretty worthwhile for Seattle because their next best option would be Bellows or Aho. I would assume rather than pay to have Seattle take one of those guys or lose Mayfield for nothing, the Islanders would rather get an asset back worth more trading him and losing one of Aho/Bellows.

What would it take to get Mayfield for the Canucks? Would our 2nd plus a C+ prospect like Gadjovich work? Its very unlikely Seattle claims him over Bellows or Aho
Mayfield is one of the top contracts in the entire league for what he brings. In a cap crunch world, that is worth a lot more than what he actually brings to the table every night. His value in a trade is therefore much higher than the actual player he is. So any trade for Mayfield is probably in the 1st + top notch prospect league as of now.

As mentioned above he will probably in time be packaged for a true top six that we need badly but not until the Isles have got some cap space to play with.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Mayfield is one of the top contracts in the entire league for what he brings. In a cap crunch world, that is worth a lot more than what he actually brings to the table every night. His value in a trade is therefore much higher than the actual player he is. So any trade for Mayfield is probably in the 1st + top notch prospect league as of now.

As mentioned above he will probably in time be packaged for a true top six that we need badly but not until the Isles have got some cap space to play with.
Yes, Mayfield is one of the best contracts in the league.
But by next season, he will be a bottom pair guy behind Pulock and and a fast emerging Dobson as RHD. He will be replaced by Wilde or Hutton. As a #6 at his AAV he has value but can be sacrificed as the top 4 will munch most of the minutes. the only calculus will be do we go with an inexperienced bottom pair like Wilde/Salo? Bolduc is also moving up quickly and of course, Green is signed for next season as well.
I like Mayfield as a #6 but we should protect Leddy over him. We have no immediate replacement for Leddy on LHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00