Waived: Scott Darling and Valentin Zykov

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
But getting a net front presence and playing hard on the puck is the definition of a grinder's game. That's exactly what Rod wants, and what Zykov would provide (based on the game's we saw of him).

That's why I think there was something else going on behind the scenes that fans aren't privy to. It didn't sound like Rod was too broken up over the possibility of losing him, and there was no reason (that the fans could see) why the likes of PDG and Bishop were getting looks instead of Zykov.

Gottta assume there was an issue, either with his practices, in the locker room, or something else that caused the organization to sour on him so quickly.

Also worth noting that Zykov was originally a King's prospect, and LA had waiver priority before Edmonton. So they intentionally passed up on reaquiring the guy.

His 10 games in NHL in the spring last season probably unlocked his $147k Games Played bonus (or it may be it was a 10+ bonus in which case he barely missed getting the money).

But, he was re-signed, and for two years to boot. If there was an ensourment, it assumably has been in this season. Does he have reason to feel snubbed?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
For those Oilers fans asking about Zykov, I'm sure you'll get a lot of "he has no mobility and that limits his effectiveness." That's 100% true.

But as for his pros, its scoring around the net. Net front anything. A really strong man. Aside from Nic Wallin, I don't know that I've ever seen a more immovable player along the boards and behind the net. In his few showings with the Canes, I saw more reverse hits than I can remember any other Cane throwing (again except Wallin). Shrugged off defenders on the boards like they were pre-teens. Not a big man, but a bowling ball.

His skating is bad enough that it neutralizes a lot of his effectiveness. Were he an average NHL skater he could be a 25-30 goal scorer, IMO. If he's on McDavid's line, he'd be nothing but the trailer on the rush. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing because he's got a good shot, but I'd bet McDavid would feel like he's lugging him up and down the ice.

Good read, thanks for this.

We’ve got an Olympic gold medallist figure skater on our staff and he’s worked wonders. He really helped out Draisaitl and has even managed to help Lucic’s speed out. Good along the boards and great in front of the net sounds fantastic.

The ‘speed with McDavid’ thing is overblown, especially on the PP. McDavid is a one man zone entry - he’ll get the puck in the zone all on his own. All Zykov needs to do is go to the front of the net and finish what he’s given. That’s what Maroon did and that’s what Chiasson is doing and neither of those guys are great skaters.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
With all the Bojangles talk, I cannot believe you omitted:

biscuits-570-375.png

000129.jpg
I had already included too many baseball teams, but yes.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
You're doing something wrong if you waive a guy that 5 teams want and you're as talent starved as we are.

LA
STL
PHI
FLA
NJD
CHI
ARI
VAN
OTT
DET

All those teams passed on him in the waiver wire. If he was such a valued piece, don't you think he'd have been nabbed much earlier? Hell, LA drafted the guy and had no interest in getting him back for free.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
It's definitely odd they couldn't get a pick or something with that much interest.
I wonder if the $56,250 the Canes get from the Oilers for the waiver pick up is worth more than a 6th or 7th round pick. Those late round picks are nearly worthless and maybe it is better to gamble on the waiver wire than get a crappy pick back. Of course when 5 or more teams are putting in claims you have to wonder why this guy is hitting waivers at all.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I wonder if the $56,250 the Canes get from the Oilers for the waiver pick up is worth more than a 6th or 7th round pick. Those late round picks are nearly worthless and maybe it is better to gamble on the waiver wire than get a crappy pick back. Of course when 5 or more teams are putting in claims you have to wonder why this guy is hitting waivers at all.

Do we even know if it was Regular or Unconditional Waivers? The latter case would be only $125.

Darling was waived at the same time, and it's not wholly impossible that at least he would've been Unconditional, because then also a buyout becomes an option.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think if it was for the purpose of a buyout he wouldn’t have just started a game in charlotte.
Last Chance Saloon. There's nothing stopping doing it unconditionally as the quote risk unquote of him getting claimed and losing out $60k or so was minuscule.

I didn't mean buyout was the purpose but it may be an option now.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
LA
STL
PHI
FLA
NJD
CHI
ARI
VAN
OTT
DET

All those teams passed on him in the waiver wire. If he was such a valued piece, don't you think he'd have been nabbed much earlier? Hell, LA drafted the guy and had no interest in getting him back for free.
LA not wanting him back isn't necessarily as bad as it would seem. I've heard it mentioned a few places they know they need to get faster and play faster going forward, and that ain't Zykov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad