News Article: Scott Cullen Off-Season Game Plan: Buffalo Sabres

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
A new approach is probably not enough to get the Sabres where they want to go, but it’s a start. In addition to a new coach, the Sabres still need to augment their depth. That brings one of this summer’s hottest issues into focus and that is the status of star left winger Jeff Skinner, who scored 40 goals last season and is an unrestricted free agent.

Skinner apparently would like to stay in Buffalo, but the deal isn’t done yet, which opens the door to considering that he may end up somewhere else. If that happens, it’s hard to imagine that the Sabres would be playoff contenders next season and it’s tough to look at the team and, year after year, know before the season starts that they are playing for the future. Realistically, if the Sabres were to lose Skinner, they could surely add another scoring winger, but that would only mitigate the loss of Skinner, and not give Buffalo roster the upgrade that they sorely need.

Really, the Sabres know that they have two cornerstone pieces, in center Jack Eichel and defenseman Rasmus Dahlin, and it’s up to management to build a competent supporting cast. That means having skilled players that are good enough to complement Eichel and it means depth players that don’t get completely destroyed when the stars leave the ice.

http://www.scottcullen.com/wordpress/2019/05/27/off-season-game-plan-buffalo-sabres/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Who?

What the **** is this. Did the person who took over his twitter account write this?

Seems on par with what he did the last few years. They are AHL guys with the Moose, though Appleton played 36 games for the Jets this year and Poolman had more than a cup of coffee with them last year. Not nearly enough.

And the idea of letting players walk in RFA? It's that sort of stupid that makes this even worse.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I don't understand, did Cullen trade Risto?

EDIT: For Poolman and Appleton??
Without reading this or the comments below it, I'd have a 1/30 chance of guessing the trade partner correctly based on those two names.

And I consider myself well-acquainted with every roster in the NHL.

Who the hell are those guys and why does this guy think that's what Risto would return lol

Reactions: Ristostadt

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Is that the guy who trade Risto in Winnipeg for Poolman and Appleton?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad