Scoring Chance Conversion Stat

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
No clue if it's out there, but I have been thinking about this formula.

(GF/SCF)/100 is a formula that could be used to determine the percent of the amount of scoring chances that are converted on. Here's an example:

Crosby 2016-17 5v5
(62/703)/100= 8.82% On Ice Scoring Chances Converted
Crosby's On Ice Shooting Percent was 8.71 that year.

Now, it does show very little difference, but that's since Crosby only had 9 shots for that weren't scoring chances.

Let's us someone who has more Shots For and less Scoring Chances For:
Kessel 2016-17 5v5
(52/508)/100= 10.24% On Ice Scoring Chances Converted
Kessel's On Ice Shooting Percent was 8.80.

NOTE: These are On Ice Stats, not individual.

Last edited:

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
IMO, this stat is best used when a player has a wide gap between Shots For and Scoring Chances For. You could also branch off into (GF/HDCF)/100 for conversion of High Danger Chances.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Are you proposing an objective definition for "scoring changes for"?

Every person watching an NHL game has a different definition, and if they're the people responsible for capturing this, you'll have wide disparities between team results.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what the value of the proposed calculation is supposed to be. Can you explain the value?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Are you proposing an objective definition for "scoring changes for"?

Every person watching an NHL game has a different definition, and if they're the people responsible for capturing this, you'll have wide disparities between team results.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what the value of the proposed calculation is supposed to be. Can you explain the value?

Using the Crosby example, perhaps a vague notion of wasted shots or giving up possession with no benefit.

Though it seems to value every goal as a scoring chance and this is not necessarily true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad