Scientists considering re-introducing Grizzly Bears in California

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...uld-benefit-from-the-return-of-grizzly-bears/

Steven Jones, a spokesperson for the Center for Biological Diversity said, “We are seeking to have the State and Feds study the re-introduction of Grizzles in California. It’s part of the re-wilding of California.â€

That’s right, that want to bring back grizzly bears to the Sierra Nevada. Although the grizzly is on our state flag, that’s about the only place you’ll see one today. Once common across the state they were hunted down and the last grizzly was killed in 1924.

How would the expansion of humans into their territories in the last 90 years impact their lives and ours?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I don't know how reintroducing species has gone in the past but often times, introducing a species ruins the habitat and feeding chain. I'm sure that's something they've thought about though... Right?

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
250px-Springfield_bear_patrol.png

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I don't know how reintroducing species has gone in the past but often times, introducing a species ruins the habitat and feeding chain. I'm sure that's something they've thought about though... Right?

California Condor is doing quite well, thank you, after going nearly extinct from the DDT impacting their eggs (and not being able to "grow" to term before hatching).

DyerMaker66*

Seeing as they're an indigenous species that we decimated it would actually be fixing the habitat and the food chain.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010

It went pretty well with the wolves in Yellowstone.

Re-introducing a species, especially if it hasn't been gone for terribly long, is significantly different than introducing a species.

Last edited:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Thanks for the info, all. The wolves thing clicked much much later and it was too late to sneakily edit my post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad