Science in America - Neil deGrasse Tyson

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Just happens to coincide with the overwhelming final adoption of the internet. We're still children in this new age of globalization. Hopefully we'll grow up, and learn to think critically again... many of us now have too many demagogues spouting misinformation on a big enough scale that it looks like a real alternative to fact.

On a side note, Neil is the bomb.com. Cosmos was great and I've loved most of what NDT has brought out. His books always kind of annoy me (because they're often just rehashes and compilations of his earlier essays), but they're also a good way of staying informed on astronomy and astrophysics.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016

Are we ignoring scientific emergent truth?

I don't want this to degenerate into a political discussion.

I admire Tyson's ability to make difficult scientific concepts accessible to the popular audience. I also admire his healthy skepticism.

That said, when he ventures out of his field of expertise, he sounds like just another talking head, naive at best and usually self-serving.

When Mr. Tyson once smugly asked, "Why are there no borders in space?" (implying our borders here on Earth are meaningless), I just shake my head. :shakehead I am very thankful that my relatives were able to escape the borders of fascist Europe during the 30s and 40s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I don't want this to degenerate into a political discussion.

I admire Tyson's ability to make difficult scientific concepts accessible to the popular audience. I also admire his healthy skepticism.

That said, when he ventures out of his field of expertise, he sounds like just another talking head, naive at best and usually self-serving.

When Mr. Tyson once smugly asked, "Why are there no borders in space?" (implying our borders here on Earth are meaningless), I just shake my head. :shakehead I am very thankful that my relatives were able to escape the borders of fascist Europe during the 30s and 40s.

I agree for the most part on the rest of your post here, but the bolded? Especially after you said you didn't want to get political?

If the quote I'm thinking of is the one you're referring to, you're completely taking his point and the meaning out of context with this rant, IMO.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

uhhhh what

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad