Schwarz or Mensator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicpea*

What does everyone think? Who will get the majority of games between Schwarz and Mensator?
I've heard that Schwarz is unbelievable, but there are persistent rumours about Mensator being the starter.
Thanks in advance.

Legoglu

again speculations about a Mensator start.

I got this from Slam Sport Canadian Press. It's a synopsis for each team in the tournament

By DONNA SPENCER -- Canadian Press

Czech Republic
Like their Slovak neighbours, the Czechs also take several CHL players to the world tournament and up to eight will be in the lineup this year. There could have as many as six returning players from the team that was sixth in Halifax. The Czechs should be particularly strong up front. The Detroit Red Wings have released Jiri Hudler to the team, Moose Jaw Warriors' forward Thomas Fleischmann is one of the leading scorers in the Western Hockey League and Petr Kanko is a dynamic player for the Kitchener Rangers. Ottawa 67's goaltender Lukas Mensator should be the Czechs' starter.
Players to watch -- F Jiri Hudler, Thomas Fleischmann, Rostislav Olesz, Petr Kanko; G Lukas Mensator.

Dr_Chimera*

chicpea said:
What does everyone think? Who will get the majority of games between Schwarz and Mensator?
I've heard that Schwarz is unbelievable, but there are persistent rumours about Mensator being the starter.
Thanks in advance.

According to Mckeen's, Scwarz will play the majority of the games.

Legoglu

Douggy said:
Mensator has been having a bad year, has he not?

No not stellar at all. Certainly not meeting the height of the bar he set in the playoffs last season.

I got this from a translation of the Czech web site.

It is about curiosity that happened in the game against Austria. Austrian goalies were sick, so Mensator played for Austria. He tried hard, but still had five goals against.
Jiri Hudler scored four goals.

Doesn't bold too well for him as he was loaned to Austria. He might not make #2.
Would he stay as #3 goaler? Although many critics are giving him fair reviews, looks grim.

DR. Holiday

I think most people figure by tournaments end at least schwartz will be the starter. He is by the more talented of the 2.
3RD in the tournament behind Fleury AND Touvinen.

Dr_Chimera*

chicpea said:
this just in from sportsnet's pre-tourney analysis:
they pick mensator:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp;jsessionid=LHFFFLEDFBPC?content=20031224_124319_2924

now you see the the validity of my original question; who will it be?

They say "likely" - whatever that means.

From McKeen's:

According to our sources in the Czech Republic, draft-eligible netminder Marek Schwarz (currently fifth overall in our draft top 100) will start most of the games for the Czech Republic under-20 National team in Finland. Czech head coach Alois Hadamczik said at a recent media conference that Marek will be the starter to begin the tournament, as he is the only goalie invited with a wealth of senior Extraleague experience (Tomas Popperle is currently the back-up in Sparta, while 19-year old Lukas Mensator is tending goal for the Ottawa 67's in the OHL).

According to our scout in the Czech Republic: "Extraleague playing experience is what the coaches prefer and Schwarz has more of it than Popperle. Mensator has struggled lately and playing away from the country is rarely looked on as a positive. Schwarz is having an outstanding season so far and (Hadamczik) is convinced that he can handle the starting duties."

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
IMO The Czech's would be smart to go with Schwarz.

I've seen Mensator play with Ottawa here and I've never really been to impressed. He goes down to early and he's a little slow getting across the crease, two things that could make for trouble on the massive ice surface.

BCCHL inactive

Lukas Mensator is not on the Czech Republic's final roster.

The Czechs will use Schwarz and Popperle at the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad